Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Hout Bowl Skew
Jan 5th, 2005 at 8:07pm

For those of you who have tried them, tell me what you can.  Woodcraft has them and I got a gift certificate that will just cover the expence.  Should I make the trip in Cheesy?  Or, should I save the GC for another use ????

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Re: Hout Bowl Skew
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 8:25am

Hey Rev, yeah they are a pretty cool tool.  I haven't quite figured out what makes the shape so special that it does what it does, but if you use the right one on the bowl you're turning it comes out with a great starting finish.  There are 2 by the way, one short and one deep. Read the information online about them before you buy because one is meant for bowls 6" and under and the other is for bowls above 6".

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 1:30pm

And the difference is?

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 2:47pm

That I can't say for sure since I only have one of them.  I do believe the difference is the bevel angle.  I guess this because the one I have is for bowls 6" and under and when I use it on large bowls it has a tendancy to cut more than I want through the longer curve.  On the smaller bowls, it flows with the shorter curve better.

Three Mutts Customs
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 7:10pm

Hey Rev, re:  your interest in a Hout bowl skew.  I realize that you have a Woodcraft gift cert. and all, and for all I know you already made the trip to Woodcraft, but I just looked at those skews in the Woodturners Catalog and there they go for $23.00 less than the Woodcraft price.  Each is the same price.  Just thought you might be interested.  Woodcraft has a no questions asked, money-back guarantee, by the way, in case you have second thoughts.

Ah, with regard to your cob pen, my reaction can  best be described as WOW!  Great job!

Jim

JIM

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2005 at 10:27am

Jim, thanks for the information and the complement.  "Try it, you'll like it."

Chris, I found out what the difference is.  Its in the flute.  You said that you have the small bowl model.  It has a deeper flute than the larger bowl model.  I have purchased the shallow flute job for larger bowls.  My guess is that the deeper flute allows for a smaller radius on the cutting edge.  Therefore the shallow flute's cutting radius is flatter.  Does this make any sense?

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2005 at 10:30am

I forgot to ask, the big question.  I know that you leave the flat of the shank on the tool rest.  But, in what orientation?  Edge horizonal or verticle?

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2005 at 6:28pm

I got wondering that myself Rev. I found the following on the woodcraft web site.....

These skews were specially designed by Dave Hout, a professional turner, who needed ultra smooth finishes, inside and outside of his bowls. The high speed steel bowl skews also almost totally eliminate the chances of grabbing. Because the flutes are held with cutting edges sideways, 90° from the usual angle, there is less edge surface to catch on problem wood areas. Hardwood handles are 14" long and the fluted blades are 6-3/4" long, of HSS that is 1/2" x 3/8" thick. Light enough to be very easy to handle, they’re sturdy enough to be very durable.

So it looks like it would be verticle.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Reply #8 - Jan 10th, 2005 at 11:16am

The way I have been using (whether right or wrong) it is to place the tool flat on the tool rest so that the flute is facing horizontally.  This made sense to me as it acts more like a spindle gouge than a roughing gouge (which likes it's flute skyward).

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #9 - Jan 11th, 2005 at 9:26am

That's what I was figuring, but the little paper that comes with it just isn't clear. 

Thanks all

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #10 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 4:36am

Okay, so what was everyone's final opinion on this tool? Worth keeping? I have had mine since Feb and just haven't used it? I turned a bowl gouge to about an 85 degree angle and have been using that for my bottoms. Deciding wether to return them or not (you get one year at woodcraft).

Gil-I know yours went back, did everyone else use them? And do you use them enought to keep them?
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2005 at 4:37am by Ned A from South GA »  

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #11 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 5:46am

Send it back.  I procrastinated and I am stuck with mine, unless someone else wants them.  I am sure we could make a good deal on them.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Re: Hout Bowl Skewhttp://www.woodcraft.com/family.
Reply #12 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 7:12am

As thick as the (HSS) steel is, you could reverse it in the handle (to get rid of the flute), and grind it as a narrow, negative-rake scraper. Plus you could always go back the other way and learn to use it as it was designed. For whatever reason, "THEM" and I could not get along, so Woodcraft graciously took them back (and they do not sell them anymore either (??). Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #13 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 7:39am

I've been so bad, mine are still in the plastic sleeve.  I did use one of them very briefly and found what I was expecting after getting lots of input.  The entire purpose for these tools is the final cuts.  The ides is to take whisps off, which are the high spots, on the inside of the bowl.  It does not cut heavy chips or curls.  The shavings are very fine, nearly dust.  I also believe that they should cut back on the starting grit of sand paper, at least on the inside. 

Basically they are a specialty tool and good for what they do.  Don't expect them the be the final cure-all.  Find them on sale and even if you don't get them to do what you want them to, they can be reshaped into a more useful tool since they are good steel.

IMHO      8)

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #14 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 8:46am

I went out and tried one out. It seemed okay, but very difficult to use around the rim. Basically they seemed to work like a sheer scraper for the inside, but did not do an appreciably better job than my 85 degree grind bowl gouge. Perhaps a bit more stable because of the flat bottom.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print