Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Speaking of personal websites.... (Read 7,339 times)

Negeltu

Re: Speaking of personal websites....
Reply #15 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 8:01pm

cfuller,
Great job! I think you have a wonderful start here.

Spinner,
I agree with what you said.  For the most basic of sites a person can get away with a WYSIWYG editor.  I am a believer in adhering to the standards set forth by the w3c. Most WYSIWYG editors output trash code that doesn't adhere to standards and in the case of Frontpage...uses proprietary html extensions and elements.  This creates a terrible mess.  That's why I like DreamWeaver MX 2004 and NVu.  They output, for the most part, standard markup and coding.  I've designed/developed/implemented sites for quite a few years now and I always adhere to standards.  If it causes problems with how a site is rendered then I find a workaround.   To be honest, I don't like flashy sites..hehe.   I guess my viewpoint is influenced by having to deal with sites created with non standard coding and bad editors.  Going in...cleaning up.  It's caused me enough headaches over the years.  I had to get out of the web design biz.  No one wanted to pay you what the jobs were worth.  Bussiness use to be very very good.

NVu is a great editor and I recommend it to those of you that want to use a WYSIWYG editor and design your own site.   Some of the most simplistic designs can be the most elegant and eye pleasing.  Just remember that.  Also, if any of you need any help or advice just let me know.  I'm sure one of us here with web design experience can help out.  I'm even willing to help out with coding and graphics editing if you need it.  I have Macromedia Studio MX 2004, Adobe Photoshop 7, and a variety of 3d rendering and sound editing applications.
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2005 at 8:09pm by Negeltu »  
Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #16 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 8:06pm

yep, I used DW MX 2004 to build and maintain WR.  But then again, I used to own a web shop, so it was paid for...otherwise I would have to find something much cheaper.  Wink

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #17 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 8:10pm

Yes, it is rather expensive.  Hard work designing and coding these typs of applications though.  Programmers don't get nearly enough compensation if you ask me.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #18 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 10:06pm

Chris
  I check the providers site and it says that each email account can have up to 10 Megabytes of personnal web space.  Is that a lot?

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #19 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 11:52pm

That's plenty for what you need Philip.  The entire photo sharing area is only about 11 megs and it has over 200 pictures.

Three Mutts Customs
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #20 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 12:23am

I have been looking at some of the Personal web pages hosted by the provider and so far I must say I am not impressed.  I don't know if I could do any better though.  There is one format that keeps coming up and it looks so...
  I know it is free and it is good experience for me but I am hesitant to do it.  I guess I am just a bit nervous and afraid of how bad I will make myself look.  Pretty Stupid huh?

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

billtr96sn

Keep on the lathe !!!!!!

Reply #21 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 5:01am

Hi Phillip, not stupid at all,I used the AOL free one which is compiled with 123-publish and it looks like somethng my 5 year old daughter may have done, I do use MSN groups but dont know how to make mine stand out.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Negeltu

Reply #22 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 6:18am

Go for it and don't worry about how it makes you look.  New things are good for the mind and soul... hehe.  I try and learn/do something new every week.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #23 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 8:28am

Hey Philip, give it a try and just don't give the link out until you are comfortable.  If you don't give the link out, people can't see it and you can't feel weird about it.

Think of it another way, turning was something you found interesting, you wanted to try and I'm sure the first time or two you felt like whatever you made would probably look lame to others.  But, you tried anyway and with work and practice you gladly share your work now and get some good feedback on it.  Web is the same thing, you'll never know until you try.  Give it a go and if it doesn't work out, at least you'll learn a few new things. 

Chris

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #24 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 8:09pm

What a great fatherly way to say it Chris!

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #25 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 8:20pm

OKay I started but don't expect me to show it to anyone real soon.   What they have to work with is supposed to be easy to use, yeah right, if your a Phd in computer programming.  What I would not give for some classroom education on how to do this.

WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #26 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 9:12pm

Phil, play with it.  You can not break it.  I thought I would never figure out how to post my pics to the site.  Once I figured out that I had to upload my pics to the gallery and then to the site, ah-ha.  Then the only obsticle was to have the patience to wait while the pics uploaded twice.  The only thing worse than having to wait, is to have to wait twice. Roll Eyes

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #27 - Jan 23rd, 2005 at 2:29am

Alright, here is what I got so far.  But believe it or not, it doesn't look like I can go much further, doesn't seem to be a lot of flexibility built into this way of doing it.  The providers help pages said this was the easiest way to go for people with no experience and this gave me fits but now after just one night of playing with it I've realized the limitations of the program.  AND it just looks so cheap.  Well here is the link, don't say I didn't warn you.

WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

billtr96sn

Keep on the lathe !!!!!!

Reply #28 - Jan 23rd, 2005 at 2:41am

Phillip, check your guestbook!!! It looks good to me, much better than I have acheived!

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
texascop47
WR Addict

What happened to that
web page?

Reply #29 - Jan 23rd, 2005 at 3:45am

Philip it looks good to me.  I would be happy with it.  Of course I would be happy just to be able to take pictures like you.

keep the bevel rubbing
eeg520  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print