Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Speaking of personal websites.... (Read 4,776 times)

paulporter

So many trees, so little
time!

Re: Speaking of personal websites....
Reply #60 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 7:41am

For you folks with websites and want to know how many hits, where they came from and what's being viewed.  Here is a free stat counter.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This will tell you some interesting things about what folks look at, for example, I get a lot of hits from people searching for African Sumac.  Go figure  8)

~Paul

"Now, if I only had a silencer for my chainsaw...my neighbors trees would be in grave danger."
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #61 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 8:07pm

Thanks for the link Paul, I'm sure some of the guys and gals will be interested to know what's going on with their websites.  One thing to keep in mind though, hits, pages and visitors are 3 totally different things.  

Visitors - a visitor count is logged when someone visits the site.  (A unique visitor is someone who has never been logged into the site before in that month).  Websites log visitors by IP address.

Pages - this is the number of different pages your visitors view in the month.  A page would be like a visit to the projects section, going to a project would be a second page.

Hits - this is where many webmasters make their websites look busier than they are.  A hit is when an item on a page is loaded.  Example, if you have a page with text and 10 photos, that counts as 11 hits.  (10 pics + 1 page of text = 11 hits).

So, you really should look at the number of visitors, the number of unique visitors (to see what percentage return and how many new you are getting), the pages they are viewing (to see what areas of interest are most popular) and the amount of bandwidth you are using (some hosts charge extra if you go over).

Here's the stats for WR (October 2005) for those interested:

Visitors:  8810
Unique visitors: 4220
Pages: 137,687
Hits: 687,038
Bandwidth used: 6.5 gigabytes

You can see how reading the wrong things can skew your numbers easily!
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2005 at 8:08pm by Chris Wright »  

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

badger

Woodbox 23

Reply #62 - Nov 6th, 2005 at 5:17pm

If you're looking for a great starting point to make a nice looking site you should check out this guys site:

He offers free templates to get a web site started and looking clean.

They use simple technologies like CSS and in many cases you can just replace the text with your own.

I've been very happy with his stuff, and have used four of his templates to great success.

(No affiliation, btw, and no sales pitch)

I've done quite a bit of web design over the years mostly just on my own websites (which I have many of) and when I found these templates I was able to revamp my sites quickly and easily, and they looked great right out of the gate.

My sites using the templates are:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (personal)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (wifes site)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (a local club I was helping out)

I've also started a blog on woodworking:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (if you have your own server or a hosted one, you might want to check out Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, the blog is super easy to set up and use.)

-- badger

--==--==--&&Woodbox 23 (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)&&A daily weblog on woodworking, and woodturning.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print