Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Speaking of personal websites.... (Read 7,362 times)

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Speaking of personal websites....
Jan 16th, 2005 at 3:30pm

I know this doesn't have much to do with woodturning. I've been trying to make a simple website for my own woodturning work using Microsoft Word. When I publish it to my internet provider, I can access the site but all that shows up is the text. The pictures are just blank squares with a little x in the corner. Do any of you web experts know what I'm doing wrong?

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Negeltu

Re: Speaking of personal websites....
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2005 at 5:47pm

The images also need to be uploaded to the server.  Make sure that the src attrib of the image tag also points to the proper place that the image resides.  You should also use an editor that uses a more standard code output.  Try NVu at
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2005 at 5:48pm by Negeltu »  
Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

billtr96sn

Keep on the lathe !!!!!!

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2005 at 1:52am

Bill ducks as this topic whizzes straight over my head!!!

What I want is something REALLY easy that I  can use as a WYSIWYG type programme that I can upload to the web.
Anyone got any good ideas?

IP Logged

DerekJeffries

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2005 at 5:28am

You might also try MS FrontPage.  It is very easy to use, and most hosting providers allow you to upload using FrontPage so it is as easy as clicking publish once done designing.

krayon

Derek Jeffries
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW 1849929631  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2005 at 8:48am

Another great web authoring tool is Site Spinner.  While it's not free ($49.99) it is well worth the money.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2005 at 8:48am by Chris Wright »  

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Jonathon

A collector - DEFINITELY
not a turner!

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2005 at 9:11am

Or Net Fusion (or is it New Objects - I forget) which some hosting companies provide by way of freeware to those using their services.

There are also a number of "free" packages usually available on the front of the mags - although these may not quite give you the look and/or flexibility you are looking for.

I started off with one of these (about 3 years ago) and quickly determined that I wanted more control and so bought Dreamweaver and a book and sat in a room playing until I got to where I wanted to be.

A lot, and I really do mean a lot, of hot air is perpetuated on the topic of web design - much of which serves to intimidate people and drive them away or into the arms of a web design service.  At the basic level there is really no need for this - if you are prepared to invest a little time and effort - and it is USUALLY very rewarding.

What you have to be prepared for, however, is the ratio of visitors:emails - don't expect to have to set time aside to reply to all those emails from all round the world.  Then again the surprise email from darkest Peru comes as a very pleasant surprise - its just that most of your visitors will not make their presence felt.

The Daniel Collection of fine turned wood&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2005 at 4:10pm

Thanks Negeltu for the tip on Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register .
I downloaded it and it's just what I was looking for. For those of us with 10 thumbs and our heads in a shroud of fog when it comes to computer stuff, it's pretty simple. And FREE! Give it a look Bill. Now I'm working on my own web page.

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2005 at 5:57pm

No problem.  Wink  Have fun.  It generates code that adheres to the standards the w3c set for html and other development technologies. 

Frontpage will generate very very poor code often with proprietary elements that are not supported in most browsers other than I.E.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2005 at 5:59pm by Negeltu »  
Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 12:05am

OKay guys here is where I show just how dumb I am when it comes to computers, software and web sites.  I have always wanted to do a web site of my own but have, like Jonothan has mentioned, been scared off by all the hype of technical "hot air"  out there.  Just exactly how hard is it and what is involved. My wife and I have discussed it in the past to display our work, my turning and her sewing/embroidery work and to see if we could in fact eventually sell something.

Chris, at one time you offered to assist/advise if I wanted to go for it, does that offer still stand?  I will take just about any advice I can get. 

looking forward to your input.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Jonathon

A collector - DEFINITELY
not a turner!

Reply #9 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 3:39am

Oops - replies posted on the other thread.

Pleased to help (templates / design / suggestions) but perhaps I wont be able to add any more value that Krayon's suggestion which is already on the table.

Jonathon

The Daniel Collection of fine turned wood&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #10 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 6:02am

Alot of that "hype" isn't just hype if that makes sense.  A helluva lot goes into web design/development.  It takes lots of planning to design and implement an easy to navigate, well organized and successful web site.  It helps to have an understanding of a broad range of web development and design technologies.  It's not as simple as some would think.     Ever noticed that there are tons and tons of horrible web sites that are extremely difficult to navigate?  A good portion of those were made by individuals who underestimated the work involved.  They were probably made with WYSIWYG editors which separate the designer from hands on coding.  I think it is wonderful for people to design and implement their own web sites.  My only recommendation is to at least take some time and understand what is under the surface of that web site.  I learned HTML in a weekend.  HTML is the easy part.  Proper design that is easy on the eye and well organized is much more difficult.  WYSIWYG editors are great, but it pays to know HTML.  WYSIWYG editors have some shortcomings and there will be times when you will have to tweak the markup underneath.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #11 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 10:34am

Negeltu, I agree to a degree.  I do agree that a kickin' site can be a bear to design and build (just look at how many redesigns this one has gone through...I think we're on V4), but on the other hand the majority of people that want a basic site can get away with WYSIWYG editors and playing with it in their spare time.  Most people don't need fancy, but I agree that the fancier the site, the more visitors and more sales are made.  We humans like the packaging almost as much as the product usually.  Wink

Philip, to answer your question, sure I'll still lend a hand.  Rev would be a good one to ask too as it wasn't too long ago that he embarked on the same journey and can help with some pointers on how he started his.  My recommendation then was:

1) find out if your ISP (internet service provider) gives you any amount of webspace with your account - if they do, use it first, it's free.
2) where ever you host with, they more than likely have a web builder app with basic templates, these will do what you're looking to do just fine.
3) worst case scenario, check out free hosting with places like freewebspace.com...to start out they are free, but there is a small ad at the top of your pages.

Once you get the answers to those questions, we can get into the nitty gritty like domain names and such.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

texascop47
WR Addict

What happened to that
web page?

Reply #12 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 4:56pm

I have though of a web site but first I have to learn to take good pictures.  I have tried a few things and they haven't come out like I wanted.  I am getting with a man that does profession pictures at our place for the web site we have.  Maybe in the next couple weeks I can get better pictures up.  Then get with our IT department to find out about a web site.  It is easy I just give them a pen or small bowl and they fall over themselfs to help.  At least I can turn.

keep the bevel rubbing
eeg520  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #13 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 6:46pm

Folks on 3 sites gave me the same advice, start with your IP.  Mine walked me through the process.  The only hard part was waiting for the pictures to load into their gallery.  Seems like it moves through cold molasses.  Anyway, use what you are already paying for.  Later you can move it to a site you pay for (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register for example) and forward to what you have created on you IP's site. 

Phil, call me with questions.

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #14 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 7:27pm

This Nvu, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register program that Negeltu talks about is really easy for us computer illiterate folks. You simply type in the text, insert pics or links, and hit the publish button. You have to know your ISP but other than that it was pretty simple. It's not the flashy sort of thing you're going to want if you "go pro" but it's good to send to friends and family just to let them see what you've been up to.

Here's my results so far....the pictures load slow, and like TC said, there's a knack and science to taking pictures specifically for a web site.

« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2005 at 6:57am by Curt Fuller »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print