Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Speaking of personal websites.... (Read 4,679 times)

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Speaking of personal websites....
Jan 16th, 2005 at 3:30pm

I know this doesn't have much to do with woodturning. I've been trying to make a simple website for my own woodturning work using Microsoft Word. When I publish it to my internet provider, I can access the site but all that shows up is the text. The pictures are just blank squares with a little x in the corner. Do any of you web experts know what I'm doing wrong?

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Negeltu

Re: Speaking of personal websites....
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2005 at 5:47pm

The images also need to be uploaded to the server.  Make sure that the src attrib of the image tag also points to the proper place that the image resides.  You should also use an editor that uses a more standard code output.  Try NVu at
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2005 at 5:48pm by Negeltu »  
Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

billtr96sn

Keep on the lathe !!!!!!

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2005 at 1:52am

Bill ducks as this topic whizzes straight over my head!!!

What I want is something REALLY easy that I  can use as a WYSIWYG type programme that I can upload to the web.
Anyone got any good ideas?

IP Logged

DerekJeffries

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2005 at 5:28am

You might also try MS FrontPage.  It is very easy to use, and most hosting providers allow you to upload using FrontPage so it is as easy as clicking publish once done designing.

krayon

Derek Jeffries
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW 1849929631  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2005 at 8:48am

Another great web authoring tool is Site Spinner.  While it's not free ($49.99) it is well worth the money.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2005 at 8:48am by Chris Wright »  

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Jonathon

A collector - DEFINITELY
not a turner!

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2005 at 9:11am

Or Net Fusion (or is it New Objects - I forget) which some hosting companies provide by way of freeware to those using their services.

There are also a number of "free" packages usually available on the front of the mags - although these may not quite give you the look and/or flexibility you are looking for.

I started off with one of these (about 3 years ago) and quickly determined that I wanted more control and so bought Dreamweaver and a book and sat in a room playing until I got to where I wanted to be.

A lot, and I really do mean a lot, of hot air is perpetuated on the topic of web design - much of which serves to intimidate people and drive them away or into the arms of a web design service.  At the basic level there is really no need for this - if you are prepared to invest a little time and effort - and it is USUALLY very rewarding.

What you have to be prepared for, however, is the ratio of visitors:emails - don't expect to have to set time aside to reply to all those emails from all round the world.  Then again the surprise email from darkest Peru comes as a very pleasant surprise - its just that most of your visitors will not make their presence felt.

The Daniel Collection of fine turned wood&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2005 at 4:10pm

Thanks Negeltu for the tip on Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register .
I downloaded it and it's just what I was looking for. For those of us with 10 thumbs and our heads in a shroud of fog when it comes to computer stuff, it's pretty simple. And FREE! Give it a look Bill. Now I'm working on my own web page.

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2005 at 5:57pm

No problem.  Wink  Have fun.  It generates code that adheres to the standards the w3c set for html and other development technologies. 

Frontpage will generate very very poor code often with proprietary elements that are not supported in most browsers other than I.E.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2005 at 5:59pm by Negeltu »  
Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 12:05am

OKay guys here is where I show just how dumb I am when it comes to computers, software and web sites.  I have always wanted to do a web site of my own but have, like Jonothan has mentioned, been scared off by all the hype of technical "hot air"  out there.  Just exactly how hard is it and what is involved. My wife and I have discussed it in the past to display our work, my turning and her sewing/embroidery work and to see if we could in fact eventually sell something.

Chris, at one time you offered to assist/advise if I wanted to go for it, does that offer still stand?  I will take just about any advice I can get. 

looking forward to your input.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Jonathon

A collector - DEFINITELY
not a turner!

Reply #9 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 3:39am

Oops - replies posted on the other thread.

Pleased to help (templates / design / suggestions) but perhaps I wont be able to add any more value that Krayon's suggestion which is already on the table.

Jonathon

The Daniel Collection of fine turned wood&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #10 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 6:02am

Alot of that "hype" isn't just hype if that makes sense.  A helluva lot goes into web design/development.  It takes lots of planning to design and implement an easy to navigate, well organized and successful web site.  It helps to have an understanding of a broad range of web development and design technologies.  It's not as simple as some would think.     Ever noticed that there are tons and tons of horrible web sites that are extremely difficult to navigate?  A good portion of those were made by individuals who underestimated the work involved.  They were probably made with WYSIWYG editors which separate the designer from hands on coding.  I think it is wonderful for people to design and implement their own web sites.  My only recommendation is to at least take some time and understand what is under the surface of that web site.  I learned HTML in a weekend.  HTML is the easy part.  Proper design that is easy on the eye and well organized is much more difficult.  WYSIWYG editors are great, but it pays to know HTML.  WYSIWYG editors have some shortcomings and there will be times when you will have to tweak the markup underneath.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Reply #11 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 10:34am

Negeltu, I agree to a degree.  I do agree that a kickin' site can be a bear to design and build (just look at how many redesigns this one has gone through...I think we're on V4), but on the other hand the majority of people that want a basic site can get away with WYSIWYG editors and playing with it in their spare time.  Most people don't need fancy, but I agree that the fancier the site, the more visitors and more sales are made.  We humans like the packaging almost as much as the product usually.  Wink

Philip, to answer your question, sure I'll still lend a hand.  Rev would be a good one to ask too as it wasn't too long ago that he embarked on the same journey and can help with some pointers on how he started his.  My recommendation then was:

1) find out if your ISP (internet service provider) gives you any amount of webspace with your account - if they do, use it first, it's free.
2) where ever you host with, they more than likely have a web builder app with basic templates, these will do what you're looking to do just fine.
3) worst case scenario, check out free hosting with places like freewebspace.com...to start out they are free, but there is a small ad at the top of your pages.

Once you get the answers to those questions, we can get into the nitty gritty like domain names and such.

Three Mutts Customs

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

texascop47
WR Addict

What happened to that
web page?

Reply #12 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 4:56pm

I have though of a web site but first I have to learn to take good pictures.  I have tried a few things and they haven't come out like I wanted.  I am getting with a man that does profession pictures at our place for the web site we have.  Maybe in the next couple weeks I can get better pictures up.  Then get with our IT department to find out about a web site.  It is easy I just give them a pen or small bowl and they fall over themselfs to help.  At least I can turn.

keep the bevel rubbing
eeg520  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #13 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 6:46pm

Folks on 3 sites gave me the same advice, start with your IP.  Mine walked me through the process.  The only hard part was waiting for the pictures to load into their gallery.  Seems like it moves through cold molasses.  Anyway, use what you are already paying for.  Later you can move it to a site you pay for (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register for example) and forward to what you have created on you IP's site. 

Phil, call me with questions.

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #14 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 7:27pm

This Nvu, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register program that Negeltu talks about is really easy for us computer illiterate folks. You simply type in the text, insert pics or links, and hit the publish button. You have to know your ISP but other than that it was pretty simple. It's not the flashy sort of thing you're going to want if you "go pro" but it's good to send to friends and family just to let them see what you've been up to.

Here's my results so far....the pictures load slow, and like TC said, there's a knack and science to taking pictures specifically for a web site.

« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2005 at 6:57am by Curt Fuller »  

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #15 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 8:01pm

cfuller,
Great job! I think you have a wonderful start here.

Spinner,
I agree with what you said.  For the most basic of sites a person can get away with a WYSIWYG editor.  I am a believer in adhering to the standards set forth by the w3c. Most WYSIWYG editors output trash code that doesn't adhere to standards and in the case of Frontpage...uses proprietary html extensions and elements.  This creates a terrible mess.  That's why I like DreamWeaver MX 2004 and NVu.  They output, for the most part, standard markup and coding.  I've designed/developed/implemented sites for quite a few years now and I always adhere to standards.  If it causes problems with how a site is rendered then I find a workaround.   To be honest, I don't like flashy sites..hehe.   I guess my viewpoint is influenced by having to deal with sites created with non standard coding and bad editors.  Going in...cleaning up.  It's caused me enough headaches over the years.  I had to get out of the web design biz.  No one wanted to pay you what the jobs were worth.  Bussiness use to be very very good.

NVu is a great editor and I recommend it to those of you that want to use a WYSIWYG editor and design your own site.   Some of the most simplistic designs can be the most elegant and eye pleasing.  Just remember that.  Also, if any of you need any help or advice just let me know.  I'm sure one of us here with web design experience can help out.  I'm even willing to help out with coding and graphics editing if you need it.  I have Macromedia Studio MX 2004, Adobe Photoshop 7, and a variety of 3d rendering and sound editing applications.
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2005 at 8:09pm by Negeltu »  
Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Reply #16 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 8:06pm

yep, I used DW MX 2004 to build and maintain WR.  But then again, I used to own a web shop, so it was paid for...otherwise I would have to find something much cheaper.  Wink

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #17 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 8:10pm

Yes, it is rather expensive.  Hard work designing and coding these typs of applications though.  Programmers don't get nearly enough compensation if you ask me.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #18 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 10:06pm

Chris
  I check the providers site and it says that each email account can have up to 10 Megabytes of personnal web space.  Is that a lot?

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Reply #19 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 11:52pm

That's plenty for what you need Philip.  The entire photo sharing area is only about 11 megs and it has over 200 pictures.

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #20 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 12:23am

I have been looking at some of the Personal web pages hosted by the provider and so far I must say I am not impressed.  I don't know if I could do any better though.  There is one format that keeps coming up and it looks so...
  I know it is free and it is good experience for me but I am hesitant to do it.  I guess I am just a bit nervous and afraid of how bad I will make myself look.  Pretty Stupid huh?

WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

billtr96sn

Keep on the lathe !!!!!!

Reply #21 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 5:01am

Hi Phillip, not stupid at all,I used the AOL free one which is compiled with 123-publish and it looks like somethng my 5 year old daughter may have done, I do use MSN groups but dont know how to make mine stand out.

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #22 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 6:18am

Go for it and don't worry about how it makes you look.  New things are good for the mind and soul... hehe.  I try and learn/do something new every week.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Reply #23 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 8:28am

Hey Philip, give it a try and just don't give the link out until you are comfortable.  If you don't give the link out, people can't see it and you can't feel weird about it.

Think of it another way, turning was something you found interesting, you wanted to try and I'm sure the first time or two you felt like whatever you made would probably look lame to others.  But, you tried anyway and with work and practice you gladly share your work now and get some good feedback on it.  Web is the same thing, you'll never know until you try.  Give it a go and if it doesn't work out, at least you'll learn a few new things. 

Chris

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #24 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 8:09pm

What a great fatherly way to say it Chris!

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #25 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 8:20pm

OKay I started but don't expect me to show it to anyone real soon.   What they have to work with is supposed to be easy to use, yeah right, if your a Phd in computer programming.  What I would not give for some classroom education on how to do this.

WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #26 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 9:12pm

Phil, play with it.  You can not break it.  I thought I would never figure out how to post my pics to the site.  Once I figured out that I had to upload my pics to the gallery and then to the site, ah-ha.  Then the only obsticle was to have the patience to wait while the pics uploaded twice.  The only thing worse than having to wait, is to have to wait twice. Roll Eyes

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #27 - Jan 23rd, 2005 at 2:29am

Alright, here is what I got so far.  But believe it or not, it doesn't look like I can go much further, doesn't seem to be a lot of flexibility built into this way of doing it.  The providers help pages said this was the easiest way to go for people with no experience and this gave me fits but now after just one night of playing with it I've realized the limitations of the program.  AND it just looks so cheap.  Well here is the link, don't say I didn't warn you.

WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

billtr96sn

Keep on the lathe !!!!!!

Reply #28 - Jan 23rd, 2005 at 2:41am

Phillip, check your guestbook!!! It looks good to me, much better than I have acheived!

IP Logged

texascop47
WR Addict

What happened to that
web page?

Reply #29 - Jan 23rd, 2005 at 3:45am

Philip it looks good to me.  I would be happy with it.  Of course I would be happy just to be able to take pictures like you.

keep the bevel rubbing
eeg520  
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #30 - Jan 23rd, 2005 at 5:34am

Looks like a great start to me.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #31 - Jan 24th, 2005 at 1:24am

Looks good... Wink  Good job on the photos.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Reply #32 - Jan 24th, 2005 at 8:24am

You can't beat that for a free site and a first attempt Philip, I knew you could figure it out.   Grin

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #33 - Jan 24th, 2005 at 11:30am

Any of you who don't have a page yet and haven't looked at Phil's, it is a great example of what you can do with your ISP's freebie space.  Give it a go.  You can't mess it up, and who knows, you might be discovered. 8)

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Robin_Liles
WR Noob

Reply #34 - Jan 24th, 2005 at 4:50pm

I too started out using my isp free space but did not like the way it looked. And after looking around I found a web hosting company called Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register . Being real cheap I thought that I would have a go at that one. for free it seems to be ok. The only draw back was a banner ad at the top. And after a few months I decided to give them $2 a month to remove the ads. They have templates for those of you like me that are computer ignorant. After a couple of hours I had it set up. Not nearly as professional looking as most but it will do for a hobby.

Robin

« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2005 at 4:51pm by Robin_Liles »  
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #35 - Jan 25th, 2005 at 12:10am

Robin
  Is Griffen GA anywhere near Albany GA?  I lived there for four years before moving back to Indiana.

WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Robin_Liles
WR Noob

Reply #36 - Jan 25th, 2005 at 2:45am

Griffin is about 40 minutes south of Atlanta.
Robin

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #37 - Jan 25th, 2005 at 5:55pm

Ta Dah!

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #38 - Jan 25th, 2005 at 9:30pm

Looks good there Curt.

WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #39 - Jan 25th, 2005 at 11:14pm

Love the photo of your cracked bowl.  Now I don't feel so badly about all the cracked bowls I've made.. :-D  hehe

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

texascop47
WR Addict

What happened to that
web page?

Reply #40 - Jan 26th, 2005 at 7:50am

Looks like you did a good job Curt.

keep the bevel rubbing
eeg520  
IP Logged

billtr96sn

Keep on the lathe !!!!!!

Reply #41 - Jan 26th, 2005 at 12:58pm

Impressive Curt, I am not going to post mine here yet as it looked a absolute mess, I couldnt post links on it or anything, I could upload pics but not reposition them or resize them, so am going to keep on trying.

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #42 - Jan 26th, 2005 at 1:02pm

Nice job and nice peices.

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #43 - Jan 26th, 2005 at 7:02pm

Thanks all, and thanks Negeltu NVU tip. It really works slick!

IP Logged

knitster
WR Noob

I love to knit and spin!

Reply #44 - Jan 27th, 2005 at 10:27am

Looking good!

Like Negeltu said programming is a very indepth process.  I program in html, dhtml, java, psp, asp, and flash, with flash being my favorite, primarily used medium.  It takes alot of time and some things have huge learning curves so dont expect anything at first try.  If you accomplish a webpage that is one color and links correctly to all your photos your on the right track. 

I am also willing to offer anyone any help I can give on designing/programming problems or questions.  If you decide its too much or you want to upgrade I offer great packages on hosting/web design done in flash. 

Keep up the great work!  Here is a couple of pet sites (i do mostly animal sites very little corporate) I designed and executed in flash.  They arent yet finished as I am waiting on info from the owners to fill in the blanks.

Mind you these were made with 600x800 screen resolution users in mind so if your using a higher resolution such as 1024x768 it will appear smaller to you. 

Again, I am more than willing to help anyone with anything website related as I am sure in the future I will leaning on your help with woodturning Smiley

fairyfank  
IP Logged

Keith_Bundy

Ky. turner

Reply #45 - Jan 27th, 2005 at 12:39pm

Phil and Curt. Nice sites. My wife says I should set one up but I'm not sure I'd have the time to keep up with it. I can barely keep up with the stuff I'm doing now. Oh well, down the road somewhere.

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #46 - Jan 27th, 2005 at 8:29pm

Quote:
Thanks all, and thanks Negeltu NVU tip. It really works slick!

No problem.  Smiley  You're doing a great job.  Keep it up.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #47 - Mar 27th, 2005 at 8:41am

Has anyone ever seen the work by Cindy Drozda. This is some very impressive and inspirational work.

« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2005 at 8:42am by Curt Fuller »  

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Re: Small Drozda gloat
Reply #48 - Mar 27th, 2005 at 1:08pm

I've been lucky enough to see Ms. Drozda twice at the Rocky Mountain Turning Symposium.  In person, her delicate boxes and finials are something else.

In Loveland, she did easier stuff.  I helped clean up one year and while sweeping up around Cindy's area, she found a roughed banksia pod in her stuff that she had forgotten to give to the raffle.  This was after the raffle where I didn't win anything  Cry . I told Cindy I still had a ticket, and she gave me the piece  Grin

« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2005 at 1:11pm by Rick in Lincoln »  

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #49 - Mar 27th, 2005 at 1:59pm

I downloaded NVU to take a look. I have thought about doing a page when I get some time on a rainy day(s). It still looks daunting. My ISP give 10MB as personal space. I don't know if that is a lot or not. Anyway, thought I would join the fun sometime.

IP Logged

tejaswood

WWW.TEJASWOOD.C OM

Reply #50 - Mar 27th, 2005 at 4:58pm

I used yahoo for a long time until I decided that I wanted to let customers purchase my items through my site, and be able to pay with their credit cards. Believe it or not, SAMS club has web hosting. go to Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and check it out. they only charge $10.00 per month for a professional site. My web site is Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register you can look around and get an idea of what you can do with their tools. They use their own software so you don't have to download or figure out how to use Microsoft etc. Their tech support is great and will walk you through every step of the way.

IP Logged

tejaswood

WWW.TEJASWOOD.C OM

Reply #51 - Mar 27th, 2005 at 5:00pm

Oops. the web is samsbiz.com not sambiz..... I forgot the S
sorry

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #52 - Mar 27th, 2005 at 7:30pm

I find things daunting when I'm worrying about messing something up.  Don't worry about messing anything up and you'll find your way around NVu very quickly.  Just play with it for a few days and get use to how it works.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Reply #53 - Mar 28th, 2005 at 11:05am

10 Megs should be plenty for a personal site, at least to start.  WR is huge and it is currently under 100 megs.  It's all a matter of optimizing the pages.  the biggest hint I can give is make sure your photos are clean with small file sizes and you'll have loads of space for a good while.

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #54 - Mar 28th, 2005 at 5:05pm

I go out of town again next week, and will take NVU on my laptop and play some. One day I may do a page Smiley

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #55 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 2:14am

I know this is an old thread but I was reviewing some info that people posted here and I was wondering if you ever did anything Nappan?  As far as making a website is concerned?
  I am really curious about this NVU software Negeltu talks about.  I am at work right now or I would download it and check it out.  I guess CFuller is sold on it, how do you feel about it? 
  Ihave been spending a bunch of hours killing time here at work trying to learn HTML coding.  It doesn't seem all that hard, it just can get a bit messy and complicated the more you add to it. 
  In case you haven't figured it out, I am on my website kick again.  I know that I did that one before but that has about run as far as it can go, besides I need my own domain so that I can add it to my business cards.   Well thaanks for the rant.  Chris, Negeltu (George) I hope you'll be patient with me when I bug you all the time.
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2005 at 2:21am by Philip Peak »  

WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #56 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 4:54am

Quote:
I know this is an old thread but I was reviewing some info that people posted here and I was wondering if you ever did anything Nappan?  As far as making a website is concerned?
 I am really curious about this NVU software Negeltu talks about.  I am at work right now or I would download it and check it out.  I guess CFuller is sold on it, how do you feel about it?  
 Ihave been spending a bunch of hours killing time here at work trying to learn HTML coding.  It doesn't seem all that hard, it just can get a bit messy and complicated the more you add to it.  
 In case you haven't figured it out, I am on my website kick again.  I know that I did that one before but that has about run as far as it can go, besides I need my own domain so that I can add it to my business cards.   Well thaanks for the rant.  Chris, Negeltu (George) I hope you'll be patient with me when I bug you all the time.

HTML by itself is fairly simple to learn.  Heck, I learned it in a weekend.  From there I went on to javascript, php, perl etc...  I was lucky enough to know a real webmaster who took pity on me and took me under his wing.

Stick with HTML and NVU and you will do just fine.  I'm always here to help and I'm sure Chris is too.  Wink

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #57 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 10:31am

Negeltu please check your private messages.

WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Reply #58 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 2:56pm

That's funny, I replied to your email before reading this Phil and I recommended NVu also...looks like we have a concensus.  Wink

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #59 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 3:25pm

Quote:
Negeltu please check your private messages.

Checked and replied... Smiley

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

paulporter

So many trees, so little
time!

Reply #60 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 7:41am

For you folks with websites and want to know how many hits, where they came from and what's being viewed.  Here is a free stat counter.

This will tell you some interesting things about what folks look at, for example, I get a lot of hits from people searching for African Sumac.  Go figure  8)

~Paul

"Now, if I only had a silencer for my chainsaw...my neighbors trees would be in grave danger."
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Reply #61 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 8:07pm

Thanks for the link Paul, I'm sure some of the guys and gals will be interested to know what's going on with their websites.  One thing to keep in mind though, hits, pages and visitors are 3 totally different things.  

Visitors - a visitor count is logged when someone visits the site.  (A unique visitor is someone who has never been logged into the site before in that month).  Websites log visitors by IP address.

Pages - this is the number of different pages your visitors view in the month.  A page would be like a visit to the projects section, going to a project would be a second page.

Hits - this is where many webmasters make their websites look busier than they are.  A hit is when an item on a page is loaded.  Example, if you have a page with text and 10 photos, that counts as 11 hits.  (10 pics + 1 page of text = 11 hits).

So, you really should look at the number of visitors, the number of unique visitors (to see what percentage return and how many new you are getting), the pages they are viewing (to see what areas of interest are most popular) and the amount of bandwidth you are using (some hosts charge extra if you go over).

Here's the stats for WR (October 2005) for those interested:

Visitors:  8810
Unique visitors: 4220
Pages: 137,687
Hits: 687,038
Bandwidth used: 6.5 gigabytes

You can see how reading the wrong things can skew your numbers easily!
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2005 at 8:08pm by Chris Wright »  

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

badger

Woodbox 23

Reply #62 - Nov 6th, 2005 at 5:17pm

If you're looking for a great starting point to make a nice looking site you should check out this guys site:

He offers free templates to get a web site started and looking clean.

They use simple technologies like CSS and in many cases you can just replace the text with your own.

I've been very happy with his stuff, and have used four of his templates to great success.

(No affiliation, btw, and no sales pitch)

I've done quite a bit of web design over the years mostly just on my own websites (which I have many of) and when I found these templates I was able to revamp my sites quickly and easily, and they looked great right out of the gate.

My sites using the templates are:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (personal)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (wifes site)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (a local club I was helping out)

I've also started a blog on woodworking:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (if you have your own server or a hosted one, you might want to check out Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, the blog is super easy to set up and use.)

-- badger

--==--==--&&Woodbox 23 (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)&&A daily weblog on woodworking, and woodturning.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print