Send Topic Print
project for charity (Read 1,660 times)

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

project for charity
Mar 13th, 2005 at 5:30pm

I was asked to donate a peice for a charity auction for a hospital (not the one I work at).

Any suggestions what I should do. I have never done anything like this, and don't know what would be a good choice for this kind of thing. Does anyone have any experience. I guess anything that would sell well would do.

I was thinking a segmented peice would be a good choice. Any thoughts?

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Re: project for charity
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2005 at 10:27pm

Give what you want.  I usually won't give them my best piece but I won't give them my worst either.  whatever you give they will appreciate and someone out there will decide they can't live without it.  You never know what people will like.  On eof my worst pieces is in a gallery right now because the gallery manager thought it was so beautiful, he loved it.  No accounting for taste.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Pete_Kekel

got wood?

Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2005 at 6:28am

This is kind of like "if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right", or something like that.  I would certainly make it one of your best efforts, there's no telling how many people will get a chance to see it.  And I would hate to have one of my pieces bring in the lowest bid from all of the stuff in the auction.  So, for me the dilemma is how many of these do I want to do in a year?  Pick the causes that mean something to you and then give them something you're proud of.  I'd rather do that 2 or 3 times a year then try and satisfy everyone that is looking for a donation for something.

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

;)Re: project for charity
Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2005 at 8:16am

This will likely be the only one. And yes, I don't want to be the lowest bid. That is why I was looking to see what others had done that had done well. Wink I have never even been to a charity auction. Bowls, vases, small boxes. I have no idea where to put my efforts.
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2005 at 8:17am by Ned A from South GA »  

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2005 at 5:55pm

I'd agree with Pete. Any time you get an opportunity to put your work in the "spotlight", you want it to shine.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

texascop47
WR Addict

What happened to that
web page?

Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2005 at 6:02pm

Give the best you can.  This is your chance to get your name out to others that might like something similar.  I usually give a hollow vessel as most I know would like something small and unusal to put on the mantel.  Just my two cents worth.  Good luck anyway.

keep the bevel rubbing
eeg520  
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 5:49am

Small to put on the mantel. I will keep that in mind. Maybe a lidded box. I am not competent at hollow vessels yet. Maybe by august.

IP Logged

texascop47
WR Addict

What happened to that
web page?

Reply #7 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 10:51am

A box would be great.  I am sure no matter what you chose it will be well accepted.

keep the bevel rubbing
eeg520  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2005 at 11:21am

I have turned a number of boxes for charity auctions and they generally do pretty well.  Boxes are universal in taste as everyone seems to like them and they are functional.  Make it look good with a nice wood and form and you'll have a winner.

Nice pens work well too.  Something like the big gentlemen's pens (which is what I am turning for one auction this year) can bring in big bids.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #9 - Mar 16th, 2005 at 12:49pm

So are we just talking a small ring box here, say 2 1/2 x 3, ya know, small, or bigger?  I just got info on our citys humane society's yearly silent auction and dinner.  I won't be donating anything this year, but maybe next, and I'd like to know about these charity things also.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #10 - Mar 16th, 2005 at 1:29pm

Depends Rick...the last one I did was for a auction that a club member was helping set up so he donated the wood and just asked everyone in the club to take a piece with the thought that we would return a finished piece to him for the auction.  Here is what I did last time:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's about 6" tall x 3" dia.  Bubinga body, figured maple lid & figured maple finial dyed black.  The feet were hand carved (I didn't have a power carver yet) and are one piece with the body.

Previous pieces were smaller, about 3" x 3" or so and more like the box in the article I just wrote.

Three Mutts Customs

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 16th, 2005 at 8:08pm

Checked out that web site; very nice boxes!

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #12 - Mar 16th, 2005 at 10:46pm

Thanks Gil, that was a page from my main site:

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

billtr96sn

Keep on the lathe !!!!!!

Reply #13 - Mar 21st, 2005 at 3:49am

Whatever you put in try and include your name and phone number on it somewhere for repeat work??

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #14 - Mar 21st, 2005 at 9:00am

An easy way to do this is to include an "information" card that tells about the box being handmade, what wood it is turned from and where that wood comes from in the world.  Then at the bottom in smaller print include your contact information.  The auction people will want to include this "certificate of authenticity" to help bring the value up and as a bonus, you get your info out.

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print