Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Re: Welcome
Reply #135 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 9:39pm

Chris I was actually using IpowerWeb's info in my last posting.  I did not see that about the 2GB and 40GB when I looked last night (Friday night/Saturday morning).
     I actually have a site all put together using the NVU software that Negeltu mentioned a long time ago and after a long night on the phone with him one night several months ago, the only thing keeping me from putting online right now is find a free approx $90+ some odd dollars for the first year.  That pretty much seems to be the going rate anymore.   OH well hopefully someday.  Been so long since I set it up I am gonna have to make some changes to it and updates, if I can remember how  Undecided.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

ronnyeelen
WR Noob

Reply #136 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 4:58am

Hi,

Since I joined today and found this thread I guess it is the right time to tell something about me.
My user name is my real name, Ronny Eelen, so there is no mystery about that. I live in Belgium, in the north part where they speak Flemish, so the pronounciation is different. Eelen: ee: like 'a'; l like 'l' (no change there); en like the same letters in 'fallen', so a-l-en . Just try it  Cheesy

And Belgium is in Europe so there is some sort of a time difference here. We are CET, which is Greenwich + 1 (+ 2 since last weekend due to summer time).

I started woodturning about 5 years ago, but with large inactivity periods in between. One of which was 2 years because of bying a house. Other than that I have no history in woodworking at all.
Previously (and still) I frequented the woodcentral site and the wow site. But this seemed like a fun site as well, with again lots of information.

My first lathe was an Axminster M950, which was too lite and has now been replaced with a DID Pro4...... (local one-man-manufacturer).
What I prefer to turn when I get the time: bowls, natural edged.
So I like using the bowlsgouge, especially since I now a short bevel ground on it. And I have the Kelton hollowing gouges.
What else.... just ask, but remeber the time difference  Smiley

Ronny

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #137 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 7:10am

I think you will find we are fun group, we don't take ourselves too seriously and we don't hold to formality too often.  Just a bunch of turning lovin' folk who help each other out and support each other as muchas we can.
     Welcome to WR Ron and most of all enjoy the comraderie and friendship.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #138 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 7:12am

Oh to give you guys some idea of the time difference with Belgium, 10 AM east coast time is 5:00 PM in Belguim the same day.

WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #139 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 8:39am

Hello Ronny,
Welcome aboard WR.

IP Logged

Larry Charlot
WR Addict

Professional Sawdust Maker

Yakima, Washington, Washington, USA
Yakima, Washington
Washington
USA

Reply #140 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 9:29am

Welcome aboard, don't worry about any time difference, there are some of us that are in the area at all hours of the day and night

Larry

Want a better life, TURN it into something better

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #141 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 9:37am

Welcome aboard Ronny.  Glad to see you have jumped in with both feet right away.  Don't worry about the time difference, as Larry mentioned, we pretty much see people here around the clock due to varying locations, schedules, sleep deprivation (in my case), etc.

If you get the chance, I'd like to see a photo of the DID lathe you mentioned, I've been around the block a few times and have not heard of that one yet.

When you get the chance, maybe you could give us your thoughts on the difference in woodturning in Belgium and other countries?

Again, welcome to WR!
Chris

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

ronnyeelen
WR Noob

Reply #142 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 11:51am

I will take some pictures of the lathe tomorrow. And then I will explain what it is.
Woodturning in Belgium, well...
Belgium is small, 10.000.000 people, you can get from one side of the country to the other side in 2 hours by car. So that gives you an idea of the scale. The country has 3 language groups, Flemish, French and a small piece German.
We have a woodturners guild, The Flemish Guild of Woodturners (Vlaamse Gilde van Houtdraaiers). The name already indicates that this is just the Flemish part. The southern French speaking part doesn't have a guild.
The guild currently has something between 900 and 1000 members. The number of professional turners is very very small.
The appreciation of woodturned items by the Belgian people is low. With that I mean they generally consider it a craft. From fellow woodturners I hear that selling items at fairs or demonstrations is a pain. People pick up pieces, see the price, and then put it back. Well that's in general, there are exceptions. It all depends on the location apparently. Places where foreign tourists come, like Antwerp where a lot of Dutch or German visit, are better. They tend to have a different idea about it. In Holland prices of turnings can be a lot higher. The Dutch in general tend to buy more and easier. (Holland, or The Netherlands, is north of Belgium).

IP Logged

tejaswood

WWW.TEJASWOOD.C OM

Reply #143 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 1:30pm

Ronny,
I really enjoyed your post, It was fun to read about different places, cultures, etc. Welcome to the board and its members. Please post often and I too would love to see the pics. of your lathe

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #144 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 1:45pm

Ronny, the Vlaamse Gilde van Houtdraaiers is very interesting (even if I do not speak Flemish) >> Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register << There are many beautiful turnings pictured in the galerij (gallery). Thanks for telling us a little about your region.
Gil

IP Logged

diver

When all i said and done
more is said than done

Reply #145 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 3:29pm

welcome ronny
Im a dutch finnish canadian who married a german
We have lotsa nationalities in North America but its nice to hear from people accross the pond

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #146 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 8:02pm

nice to have you on WR ronny.  I hope we can all learn something from each other.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #147 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 9:18am

Thanks for the background, thoughts and pics of the lathe Ronny, it is nice indeed to learn about turning from around the world.

Now, how about some pictures of your turnings?  Smiley

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
ronnyeelen
WR Noob

Reply #148 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 10:26am

Don't worry, pictures will be there when I have something ready.

IP Logged

Kevin Denny

Reply #149 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 8:00pm

I am just sorry it took me a while to find this site!  I am relatively new to turning, but have been woodworking for a few years.  I have a Jet 1236 and couldn't be happier at the moment.  I love wood for it's warmth, texture and beauty-turning has taken this love to a new level.

I really enjoy the site and the helpful crew that lives here.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Bill Beaver

Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan
beaverfsu@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 28
Send Topic Print