Send Topic Print
Welcome (Read 55,221 times)

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Re: Welcome
Reply #15 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 4:54pm

Welcome, and I have been to your site before, nice to meet you.  I am just getting into stoppers and have a peppermill set I have yet to start, though I have asked everyone here their advise on them.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

tejaswood

WWW.TEJASWOOD.C OM

Reply #16 - Mar 21st, 2005 at 8:41am

Thanks for your welcome. I have chosen to go with the antique style mechanisims for my pepper mills. Since I do production work, time is my worst enemy. Trying to drill the 1/2 dozen holes for a regular mill plus trying to match up the top and bottom just takes me too long. Also my wine stoppers use a simple shape which is easy to turn with pretty consistant results. Also with the flat top it allow's me to insert pretty much anything I want. I still need to get a mini lathe. It hurts to watch my electric meter evertime I turn on my Powermatic. Especially to turn such small items. Oh well, in time.

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #17 - Mar 21st, 2005 at 1:15pm

Mike, those are some wicked cool mills!  I've never seen mechanisms like that, looks like something from Rube Goldbergs (or DaVinci's)  lab.  Do you have those made?

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

tejaswood

WWW.TEJASWOOD.C OM

Reply #18 - Mar 22nd, 2005 at 5:52am

Rick,

Naw, I wished I had. I buy them at penn state industries. I love them so does everyone who sees them. Look under their coffee grinder section. I think their part number is pkgrind4. They arn't cheap. Almost 10 bucks each. But I buy them in bulk so I get a little discount. I know I could import them from china, but I would have to order about 5000 of them. I tried to import the wine stoppers, but they want a minimum of 10000 units.  They are so easy to make. I just drill a 1" hole through a 5" high piece of wood. I mount them between centers and turn away. I finish them with chestnut finish. It is a laquer based friction polish. Much more durable than the oil / wax finishes.
Take care.

IP Logged

Barry_Craven
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Apr 2nd, 2005 at 1:29pm

HI fellow turner's I'm Barry Craven from Madisonville PA
I've been turning for two year's mostly faceplate work
but I also enjoy spindlework as well. I use a Nova DVR
but have my first tube bed lathe set a with the Beall
system.
I like turning mostly green/ cheery,walnut and maple
since I live in a wooded area stock is no problem,but
all species are fun and for me that's what it's all about.
I hope to contribute when I can and learn from you more experienced turners.
                   Thanks for the welcome
                                           Barry

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #20 - Apr 2nd, 2005 at 3:32pm

Welcome to the forum Barry.  Wish I had access to a wooded area like you.  Enjoy the forum, we're a pretty nice bunch of folks.

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #21 - Apr 2nd, 2005 at 3:58pm

Welcome aboard Barry and please feel free to participate regularly and often.  Sites like this work only if everyone participates.  If you'll notice we have lots of members but it seems only a small handful participate.  I would like to see that handfull increase greatly.

Having said that, I have been designated the Chatroom coordinator and welcome you to join us there on Sunday nights at 8:00 PM EST and Tuesday nights at 9:00 EST.  All you have to do is register like you did for this site. 

I also invite you to post your work in the photo sharing area.  Just as in the chat room, you must register in the photo sharing area, but it is easy.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Reply #22 - Apr 3rd, 2005 at 11:05pm

Just wanted to throw out a happy greeting to all of the new members that have joined lately.  We've had quite a few new members join lately and it's good to see some of the new members chime in.  Have fun all!

Chris
WR Manager

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #23 - May 5th, 2005 at 7:22am

Welcome Barry and any others that may have slipped in under the radar.  Read a lot, turn a bunch, share it, and chime in when you can.  Don't feel bad about asking questions.  We all have something we have trouble with from time to time.  The only lame question is the one that is not asked.  I look forward to hearing from all of our newest members.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

stitchin_girl
Ex Member

Reply #24 - May 20th, 2005 at 5:53pm

Hi Guys,
    Some of you already know me, I'm Phil's wife.  I figured that if I was ever going to get to see him or spend any time with him on his days off that I was going to have to follow him where his obsession lies, so here I am!  I've only done a little bit of woodworking and wood turning, but it's fun enough.  I will confess, even Phil will admit that my first loves are sewing and embroidering and spending time with my kids.  I'm doing this for fun, and to spend some time with my dear husband.  Don't be too hard on me.  I'm sure I'll see you around the website sometime.

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #25 - May 20th, 2005 at 6:00pm

Welcome aboard Jeanne.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Reply #26 - May 20th, 2005 at 6:44pm

Welcome Jeanne, you've got a good man there and he's got an even better woman just based on what you said...not many would take up a hobby like this to spend time with their significant others.  Kudos to the two of you!

As for turning, you're jumping in with both feet and that's the way to go.  Don't be afraid to try things just for the sake of trying them.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #27 - May 21st, 2005 at 3:49am

Welcome aboard. Phil is a lucky guy.

Enjoy and don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #28 - May 21st, 2005 at 6:04am

Welcome, Jeanne.  Any friend of Phils' is a friend of mine  Wink

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #29 - May 21st, 2005 at 9:31am

Welcome to the group Jeanne.  I well remember the night that you took over for Philip on a chat session.  I hope that you enjoy this turning thing as much as we all do.  And I hope that you enjoy this group.  Great bunch of people to associate with.  "Stitchin-girl?"  Sounds like a great "handle" to me. 

Cheers!

Jim

JIM

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 28
Send Topic Print