WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Re: Welcome
Reply #255 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 6:15pm

Welcome back to the vortex.  Like everyone says,  you can try, but you can't stay away.  Grin Grin

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

alanderson1978
WR Noob

Armchair Turner

Reply #256 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 4:59pm

This is my first post here. I've been lurking for a little while. I have yet to actually start turning. So far all I have is a harbor freight set of turning tools and a handful of pen kits that were on sale. I was originally looking at a small floor-standing lathe like a Jet 12x36, but I have had a hard time scraping money together. So, I'll probably end up getting a benchtop, about 10x16, if I ever do get one, as a starter. I love watching people turn, but I really don't know any turners personally. I've done a lot of reading, but it it doesn't make much sense since I haven't put it to use yet.

The original machine had a base-plate of prefabulated amulite, surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings were in a direct line with the pentametric fan

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #257 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 8:39pm

Glad to have you with us.  You might want to stat with one of the mini's.  The Jet or Rikon will give you a lot of turning enjoyment for little money.  You may even locate a used unit.  Feel free to ask your questions.  We've all been where you are and remember it well.  8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Pompeyite
WR Noob

Measure twice and cut
ONCE

Reply #258 - Apr 21st, 2007 at 4:20pm

Hi Alanderson, welcome from the Southern part of the UK. Grin
There is a wealth of information here so don't be shy in asking questions. ??? I am new here myself, and have been made very welcome by everyone. Roll Eyes
Happy Turning  8)

Regards&&Derek&&Measure twice and cut Once

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #259 - May 21st, 2007 at 5:42pm

Hi and welcome.  I would suggest trying to get involved with a local woodturner's club.  You can check the AAW website to locate one in your area.  Feel free to ask questions and to share your knowledge as well.  Some of this art takes technical knowledge but a lot just takes good common woodworking sense.  See you around.

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Scott
WR Noob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #260 - May 25th, 2007 at 10:59am

Hi my name is Scott Baldwin
I live in Barrie ON. Canada
I've had a 12" Delta for approx. 4yrs. I bought it used with about a dozen tools.
I turned two sets of table legs and then didn't do any turning until lately.
I've started making what I call pretty firewood. My favorite wood is whatever is on the firewood pile.
I just wanted to thank-you all. I have learned lots from this site and gotten lots of inspiration/motivation. Having fun turning eggs, mushrooms, bowls, candlesticks. I only get to turn about 2-3 hrs/week.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #261 - May 25th, 2007 at 11:10am

Welcome to the vortex, Scott.  Keep at it and share some of what you are doing with us.  We'll help out all we can.  If you've been reading very long, you know that we welcome all questions and love to see your work.  I look forward to learning more about you and what you do.  8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

magnanimous

Continuous streams of
shaving flying over my
head

Reply #262 - Jun 30th, 2007 at 12:22pm

I just thought I would throw my introduction in the pot. My name is Javier and I got my first lathe in late January. I work with a psi turncrafter and my tools are just a set that I picked up at harbor freight for 50 bucks. I started out making wine bottles, mushrooms and baseball bats. Now I have move on to boxes and bowls. Also I have started to sell some of my pieces but with the wood supply running low I have been looking in to segmented turning with the scraps I have collected. If anybody would like to see my work I have a myspace page set up with lots of pictures of my work. The address is Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register i would love to get some constructive criticism from other more experienced woodturners.

myturnedstuff.etsy.com
IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #263 - Jun 30th, 2007 at 2:08pm

Hey magnanimous, welcome to this side of the world.  Sounds like you have a fairly good startup kit, kind of the way most of got started also.  I would encourage you to post a few of your pics on the woodturning gallery section of this site also.  CU around!

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

magnanimous

Continuous streams of
shaving flying over my
head

Reply #264 - Jun 30th, 2007 at 2:52pm

thanks leo!

i will get a few pictures up later on today!

myturnedstuff.etsy.com
IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #265 - Jun 30th, 2007 at 3:20pm

Don't forget, you have to log in to the woodturning gallery.  Most of us register with the same screen name so we know who each other are.

WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

magnanimous

Continuous streams of
shaving flying over my
head

Reply #266 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 5:29pm

i just put up a few pictures! just so ya know.

myturnedstuff.etsy.com
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ad_de_Crom
Ex Member

Reply #267 - Aug 1st, 2007 at 6:12am

Hi all,
My name is Ad de Crom
I'm also a newbie on WR.
I'm from Holland, you know, that nice little country on the other side of the pond.
My living place is Bergen op Zoom, located in the South West area, close to the Belgiun border, Bergen op Zoom is a very nice and beautiful old town, with a lot of nice events.
I started with turnen after my retirement in 2001.
I'm also a guy, who love it to work with my bare hands, and also making all the tools I need, including my own lathe and grinder.
You discover that by taking a visit to my personal website Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Hope to have a nice time with you all.

IP Logged

MIKE Durham
WR Addict

having too much fun turning

North Chesterfield, Virginia, Virginia, USA
North Chesterfield, Virginia
Virginia
USA

Reply #268 - Aug 1st, 2007 at 8:09am

Welcome Ad de Crom, Glad you found us here,  Cheesy That is some web site you have.  Shocked .
I was very impressed with your tools you made  Shocked Shocked and your turnings. Well done on all of them

Mike

ex-Bull Durham&&&&give me wood or give me stained glass!&&Mike Durham

IP Logged

WinsorWoods
WR Addict

I don't need a Snappy
Slogan, Junior's got
a tatoo

Reply #269 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 9:03pm

Welcome aboard!

Dan

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those that understand binary numbers and those who don't.
WWW 453230839 winsorwoods Toucan455  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 28
Send Topic Print