Impressive tools, and love the clocks you made.  Welcome

Larry

Want a better life, TURN it into something better

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Re: Welcome
Reply #271 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 8:30am

Welcome to WR, Ad de Crom. Impressive work on your web site (tools and turnings).
Gil

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #272 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 4:25pm

yes... very cool tools.. Your lathe is AWESOME!!!

And welcome to WR!!!

IP Logged

ctwxlvr
WR Noob

"I am convinced that He
(God) does not play dice."

Reply #273 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 9:53am

We are the Fowlers, Tracy(48) and Kelly(29 several times). We live in Hartford CT with, two cats, Dusty and Morris, and a dwarf mini rex rabbit named Dream.

I have been working with wood since I was 16 and did some finish remodeling and basic carpentry while in Montana. I have been turning wood off and on since high school, and started turning pens as a hobby which is now a "business".

Kelly started turning pens about a year ago, and She has turned out some great work.

We currently use a Wilton mini lathe.

I am slowly expanding my turning from just pens to other items now and looking to learn more techniques.

Tracy&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register A Crafters Forum&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." AE
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #274 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 10:37am

Glad you finally made it in Tracy

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Tom Davis
WR Addict

I get jokes

Reply #275 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 12:40pm

Welcome to the vortex. Please ask questions because we all learn from them. Hope to see some of your work in the Gallery soon.

LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY, WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING
WOW WHAT A RIDE

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #276 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 2:38pm

Glad you're in Tracy.  I know it's been a little frustrating, but I hope that you'll find we are worth the effort.  As we like to say around here, "Welcome to the vortex.  Do not resist.  Resistance is futile."
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

ctwxlvr
WR Noob

"I am convinced that He
(God) does not play dice."

Reply #277 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 2:44pm

Thank you for the Welcome!!!

RevDoug you mean that bottomless blew-out vase called a funnel that (edited out) every dime for more tools, wood, er visits and debonder for the fingertips.

Tracy&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register A Crafters Forum&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." AE
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #278 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 2:55pm

That too!  Grin
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Scott Johnson

WR Rocks!

Reply #279 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 3:48pm

Hi everyone.  I guess this is a place I can introduce myself. My name is Scott (27 yrs old).  Married for just over 2 Yrs. Currently preparing applications for Graduate school in Anthropology.  Just started turning pens a couple of months ago and have really been sucked in.  One of my old college roommates (also one of my best friends) lets me use his small shop he started late last year.  I haven't had any actual training, just hands on stuff and reading online.

Scott&&Live out of your imagination, not your history. - Stephen Covey&&
IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #280 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 3:55pm

And you did fine by signing on with us. 

Welcome aboard rookie.  Let us enlighten you and I'm sure you will enlighten us also.  Relax but hold on tight as the vortex sometimes spins out of control.  Just remember, the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked, and our motto, No Pics... Didn't happen.  Sign on to the gallery and show us some of those pens.  We usually use our same names, or something close.

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #281 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 4:00pm

Welcome aboard Scott and make yourself at home.  You have heard the term vortex used to describe this hobby and many here will agree it can become just that but it is, in my opinion, the most fun you can have with your clothes on (Well, okay it maybe it is in the top two or three...lol).  Others will also tell you to please feel free to ask questions and even pitch in an opinion or two.  All we ask is that you respect yourself and others.  A lot of opinions get expressed here about how to do things the best ways to accomplish things etc, the thing to remember is they are opinions and only you can decide which ways may work for you or not.  
 Again Welcome to WR.  
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2008 at 4:01pm by Philip Peak »  

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Scott Johnson

WR Rocks!

Reply #282 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 4:05pm

I do have some pens and a couple of ornaments i have made posted in the gallery.  feel free to go look and give me any advise you may have.

I have read many times about this being a 'vortex' and I have really begun to feel it.  I have spent some time reading various threads on various topics here and have really enjoyed the respect and support everyone seems to share with one another.  With as much garbage one could find online it is nice to see a place where people are honest and supportive of one another.

Scott&&Live out of your imagination, not your history. - Stephen Covey&&
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #283 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 4:56pm

Welcome aboard Scott

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #284 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 8:23pm

Welcome!  Ask away, you'll get answers, and some of them will even be right.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 28
Send Topic Print