Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Welcome
Mar 17th, 2005 at 8:45am

Thought that with all the new folks who are joining us lately, I would start a thread for us to welcome them, but also for folks to introduce themselves to us.

Welcome our newest member, nroper.  He is member #165.  We are a pretty rowdy bunch around here when we are awake.  Problem is, most of us don't get much sleep.  Therefore, feel free to jump right in.  Ask questions, lend advice, join in of any conversation you feel like.  We don't stand on too much pomp and circumstance around here. 

How about all of you who have joined us in the past several months telling us a little about yourselves so that we can get to know you better.  You know, stuff like what kind of lathe you turn on, where you live, what your favorite wood is, etc. 

Again, welcome to all.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.† Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.† Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
roo_mac

Re: Welcome
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 11:51am

hi
Iím member #164
So Iím to introduce myself, so here goes!
My name is Ruaridh Macdonald
I live in Berwickshire, Scotland
Iím 14
Iíve been turning since April last year (my birthday)
I turn on a perform ccl lathe but i would like to upgrade (recommendations welcome) Iíll have a go at posting a pic (also comments welcome)
I don't really have a favourite wood but I like Laburnum, yew and of course burls.
Currently I am turning spindle type things like mushrooms, lots of mushrooms Cheesy and apples ect.
But I quite like to turn bowls especially wet ones!

You must learn from the mistakes of others, you can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.&&
roo_mac  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 12:10pm

Glad to have you with us Roo   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.† Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.† Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 12:14pm

Welcome aboard. Where is Berwickshire? My family and I had a wonderful time touring Scotland in 2001. Beautiful Country.

I have never turned a mushroom. I may have to give it a go.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 12:20pm

Mushrooms are fun.  Those and tops are what I do when asked to do demos for the general public.

Roo, try your hand at some tops!  Easy and fun.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

roo_mac

Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 12:38pm

hi to you all Smiley
berwickshire is here
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
(thats a big web address) hopefully you can "zoom" in & out on the website

mushrooms are good fun i like them
there is a good project by lary hancock (nice guy)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

rick thanks for the recomendation i'll have a go! Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2005 at 12:26pm by roo_mac »  

You must learn from the mistakes of others, you can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.&&
roo_mac  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 2:51pm

Welcome Roo, glad you chimed in!  'shrooms are fun to turn, tops too.  There's a couple of articles in the project plans area that you should get a kick out of like Christmas trees, baby rattles, honey dippers, etc...all are spindle projects.

There are a couple of links to Larry's projects in there too...he writes a great tutorial.  I am still thinking about doing a helix bowl myself.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 5:17pm

Stanley Trimble, Nroper, and Ruaridh Macdonald, Welcome to the most talented bunch of woodturning artists the world may have never seen. Ruaridh should fit right in with the "turn'em wet and debate on how to dry'em without cracking" crowd (myself included).

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
kidcolombia

Preferiria †estar torneando!!

Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 6:04pm

Welcome to all of you who have joined recently.  I think that you will enjoy the informality of this bunch of woodturners.  I know I do.  And join us on Sunday and Tuesday evenings for our chat sessions.  Check out the WR Updates section for announcements posted by Philip.  And as for mushrooms Roo, you might enjoy making a mushroom shaped box at some point.  Raffan has some nice illustrations in his book on boxes.  Spindle turning?  How about some bagpipes?

Enjoy!

Jim

JIM

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 8:02pm

Welcome to all. Isn't the WWW an amazing thing! 165+ folks from all corners of the planet sharing a common love of making huge messes.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

texascop47
WR Addict

What happened to that
web page?

Reply #10 - Mar 18th, 2005 at 4:56am

Welcome everyone to this great forum.  Chime in anytime and ask many questions.  Everyone is friendly and ready to help.

keep the bevel rubbing
eeg520  
IP Logged

roo_mac

Reply #11 - Mar 18th, 2005 at 11:09am

thanks spinner  i'm in the middle of trying out  some of larry's projects and yes he does a great tutorial.
i'd say go for the helix idea, i like them Smiley
and once your done  it would be nice to see  your  finished results  and  your comments.

i'm not sure if i can make it to the chats because of the time  difference but once in a while, maybe!

jim: thats the next book on my wish list. and also my grandma's friend made a set of bagpipes ! never saw them myself though. supposedly very nice.
thanks to the rest of you

ruaridh
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2005 at 11:11am by roo_mac »  

roo_mac  
IP Logged

wobbly_bob
WR Noob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 4:38am

Hi there
             Thanks for the warm welcome and a soution to my turning problem , Ive been turning for about two years on a very basic 36 inch centred Record lathe(what a machine)!! Goblets,candle sticks,bottles and such like .
Im 39 years old and live in a little suberb called florence in Stoke -on -Trent ,England

Nice to meet you all

wobbly bob

I sleep with my chainsaw !!!

IP Logged

roo_mac

Reply #13 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 7:14am

hi wobbly bob
i'm new to the forum aswell.  welcome, in the short time i have been in this forum i have found everyone really helpful . i hope you agree
it is also nice to hear from another Brit! Tongue
roo
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2005 at 7:16am by roo_mac »  

roo_mac  
IP Logged

tejaswood

WWW.TEJASWOOD.C OM

Reply #14 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 4:10pm

Ok, I guess I'll post as well. My name is Mike and I live in Dallas, Texas. I have been turning for about 5 years, with the last 2 being full time. I sort of went in reverse. I started with a jet 1236 turning the biggest things I could fit on it. I moved up to the Powermatic 3620 and now turn peppermills and wine stoppers. Unfortunatly 99% of my turning is on a production level, so I don't get the chance to just play anymore. You can see some of my work at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register . I do enjoy the site. Take care

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 28
Send Topic Print