Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Firsts
Jun 26th, 2005 at 7:31am

I was over on the gallery and had an interesting thought.  Chris, what are the chances that we could get a "First Turnings" gallery.  Then, we can post those early turnings and/or our new tryings.  Sound like fun? 

Chris, let us know about the new gallery area and I, for one, will begin posting.  Thanks.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Re: Firsts
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2005 at 6:12pm

Shouldn't be a big deal, I'll get one going in the next few days under the members gallery heading.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2005 at 8:24pm

Cool.  This ought to be a lot of fun.  What do the rest of you think?   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 7:02am

The concept is OK with me.
Clarify what you have in mind, Rev.
Do you mean "a persons first woodturning related piece", or are you expanding the idea some to embrace “a persons first woodturning related piece in any category of turning"?
The first one is simple; the second could eat up a serious amount of server space. Considering that, in many cases, the 'first piece' in any new mode of turning is already in the gallery (at least in my instance).
Also, if any pieces that qualify for a spot in the new gallery are [already] in one of the other galleries, would it be a good idea if we just made a shortcut/link to that existing piece, rather than multiple pictures?

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 2:15pm

Actually there is a way to do that already Gil, if you edit the photo and then click the box that indicates what 'album' the photo should go into, it will appear there, "firsts" for example and your personal album under the members galleries.  The challenge photos do this as well, the program associates each photo with the album and with the user.

So if your first turned piece or first serious attempt at turning is in the gallery, simply change the album from member galleries to firsts (once I install it) and it will appear both places.  Databases are so handy that way!  Smiley

Three Mutts Customs
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 3:37pm

Thanks Chris.  What I was going to say.  I happen to have my first three pieces right here in front of me.  I also have lots of "first" attempts.  I don't know that I'll put everything "first" into that part of the gallery, but I will enter my first three and some first attempts as time goes on. 

One of the ideas is to lend ideas to others, to challenge us to try new things.  It was seeing some of Mike Schwing's work that got me thinking about using water based lacquer.  I'm about to give it my first try and will post the results. 

I see lots of possibliities for this section.  I hope we can use it to share, inspire, challenge, etc.   8)

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 3:41pm

Thanks Chris; pretty much settles that. Grin

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #7 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 3:30pm

This idea got buried pretty quickly and we've all had a very busy summer by the sound of things. 

Chris, is this idea still possible?   8)

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2005 at 2:24pm

It is Rev, but after looking at the gallery the first thing I think is, "darn...I have to scroll past all of these categories to get to the pictures!"  I'd like to figure out how to condense the challenges but until then I'd like to refrain from adding another category.  That doesn't mean we can't posts firsts in the normal gallery though

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #9 - Aug 23rd, 2005 at 2:33pm

Chris
  I think you could get rid of the sales and swap heading.  It sounded like a good idea but no one seems to be using it.  That might help a bit.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #10 - Aug 23rd, 2005 at 3:21pm

Good idea Phil, that should free up 2 or more lines.

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #11 - Aug 23rd, 2005 at 3:30pm

I used the sale/swap catagory twice but nobody was interested so I sold'um on the AAW site & ebay.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print