Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Measuring wall thickness (Read 3,556 times)

Boots

Re: Measuring wall thickness
Reply #15 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 1:08pm

Hi,
     The one thing that hasnt been mentioned here is centrifugal force, at the high speeds mentioned surely the piece is being pulled by quite a force, the thinner you go the less fibres there are holding it together, if you have say heart wood and sap wood in the same piece then you have a weight difference, this will inevitable mean you have an oval turning not a round, when you apply the tool it is either hitting the high spots or reshapping back from oval to round, its a bit like bending a piece of wire back and forth, it will eventually break all the fibres,  Any thoughts?

Boots

Boots Boots  
IP Logged

Boots

Reply #16 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 1:31pm

Hi again,
            On reading the previous message written by me this thought came to mind.

Woodturning to most of us is a hobby, its best kept plain and simple in as much as, just turn slightly thicker walls and enjoy it, especially if it removes those sweaty hands and brows whilts waiting for the turned piece to take flight.

Just a thought.

Boots

Boots Boots  
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #17 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 4:11pm

Agreed, what a good thought it is, we often forget to make it fun.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 5:09pm

I will agree, in part, less grief is bound to be more fun, BUT there is the thing known as "challenge your self". If I am able to turn a bowl to 1/4", then I may want to try 1/8" just to see if I can do it. After 1/8" becomes the norm, and is now "fun", along comes 1/16", etc; and it is fun to try turning them thinner and thinner. Then again, the other day I turned a Black Cherry Natural Edge Bowl, and stopped at 5/16" just because the bowl felt good that thick, filled in two large voids with Turquoise and am happy with it. It is in my gallery, is it bad at 5/16" wall thickness? Maybe, but I like it.
I suspect that if you are turning for a living, the game takes on an entirely different meaning. It may still be fun, but it is now work, and work equals food, etc.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #19 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 6:34pm

When I was just starting I was handed a book to look over (it was borrowed from the library).  In it were several bowl exercises for new turners.  Many different shapes and styles of bowls were to be done in multiples until the turner became comfortable with each one.  One of the most challenging was to turn a simple open bowl with one difference, turn the walls an even 1/32" thick from rim through bottom.  Now, that's thin.  The author's point was that if you actually get to the point that 1/32" is comfortable, think how easy 1/16" or even 1/8" will seem. 

Just wish I could remember what the name of that book was.  "Turning Green Wood" maybe?  Purhaps one of you could remind me so that I can get a copy and review those exercises.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #20 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 4:55am

I have seen the book as well, can't remember the name, either.

Gil, chanllenging yourself can still be fun. I was referring more to the attitude and the death grip, hand shaking approach that often comes with a too serious (for lack of a better word) attitude. Even trying to get it a thin as possible should be a fun adventure for those of us not counting on this for a living. As long as it doesn't become cavalier or unsafe, a good attitude should make all of it fun. When it becomes frustrating or nerveracking, it is time to take a 30 minute break and do something else.  When you come back more relaxed, not only is it more fun, it is easier and relaxing as well.

I'll get of my soapbox now Smiley

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 8:30am

Yup, sounds right. The death grip, hand-shaking approach to woodturning has "accident" written all over it, and probably is not fun.
Been thinking of raising my lathe bench up about a foot, so I can stay up on my soapbox.

IP Logged

texascop47
WR Addict

What happened to that
web page?

Reply #22 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 8:33am

I made a vase down to paper thin just to see how far I could go.  I took it into the house to show the wife my new vase and she told me it would bend when she applied pressure to it and I told her not to do that or it would break.  The she said too late it had split down the side.   I turned another that day but she hasn't gotten her hands on it yet.  It had no function but to see how thin I could go.  It was fun and a challenge.  Most of my bowls are between 3/16 and 1/4 unless it is a special request and I have done a few 3/8 to 1/2 which sure feel heavy and big compared to the thinner ones.  Nearly all my hollow forms are around 3/16 and I seem to like them there.  I guess I need to challenge myself to go thinner but just haven'e do so yet.  But the biggest challenge now is just getting time to go to the shop.  I am working 12 hour  days 7 days a week.  with a 3 hour drive round trip that doesn't give much time.  Maybe it will get better in the future.  I need a saw dust fix badly.  Maybe just turn a pen or something.

keep the bevel rubbing
eeg520  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #23 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 9:56am

The book is titled Turning Green Wood by Michael O'Donnell.  I found it on Amazon for $17.95 at:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #24 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 12:51pm

That's the one.  Thanks Jim.  Guess I've got to place an order now.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #25 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 1:18pm

Sad thing is I already have it, just couldn't remember the title.

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 6:34pm

Our library has it. It is an excellent book.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print