Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Who has heard of th longworth chuck? (Read 1,975 times)

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Who has heard of th longworth chuck?
Jul 26th, 2005 at 12:18pm

While visiting Glenn over my vacation, of the many toppics of discussion was about what he called a Longworth Chuck.  I had never heard of this kind of chuck so he sent me several links to sites that discuss how to use and make one and after much reading and looking, I am beginning to understand the concept behind it.  I asked Glenn if he minded if I shared it with you all and he is okay with it so here are the links he gave me.  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

In my opinion, that last one is the better article to read and understand.  it made easy to understand and made it soun like even I could make one.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2005 at 12:20pm by Philip Peak »  

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Re: Who has heard of th longworth chuck?
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2005 at 6:50am

Phil, a buddy of mine helped me make one a while ago, I think from Fred Holders plans.  The layout of the arcs was the toughest, but he had one of those router attachments that let you do circles, arcs, etc.  After the arcs were cut, it was pretty easy.  In practice, I had a hard time getting the piece to center itself.  I know in theory it should self center, but I did have problems, and kind of put it on the back shelf.  I bet if I went back now (after some experience), I would have a better time of it.  It's a good project and I know there are other turners out there who use the Longworth.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

DWFII

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2005 at 10:10am

I too had help in making one of these. Very generous help--when I mentioned, in a post on another forum,  that I didn't own a router. I recieved the two discs in the mail with the arcs already cut...no charge.

I mention this because I really appreciate the unqualified kindness that lay behind this offer of help to a stranger.

But!! I am a pretty precise guy--for over thirty years I've made my living being anal--and I studied the problem of completing the chuck for some weeks before I proceeded. I know I did everything as accurately and as carefully as it could be done. But the upshot is that I couldn't get the chuck to center either.

Maybe if it were made of metal and done with a milling machine or something....but I ended up abandoning it and buying cole jaws for my Axminster.

DW
In the High Desert of Central Oregon
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2005 at 10:12am by DWFII »  

DW--in the high desert of central Oregon

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Re: Who has heard of the longworth chuck?
Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2005 at 10:57am

DW, I'm glad I'm not alone in having problems with the Longworth.  Maybe what you mentioned would help, maybe the rubber tips could be improved for better gripping, don't know.  I ended up getting cole jaws too, and between those and a jam chuck, I can usually get a good finish on the bottoms.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 5:30pm

Ive made 2 longworths, a 5 peg and a 6 peg.
they are great for finishing bottoms and such but I wouldnt trust them for heavy turning(depending on the density of the rubber pegs) Ive tryied several rubber and vinyl pegs and found the lower the profile and denser rubber, the better for centering. Even if the piece was off center, I could bump it over and tighten down the pegs some more to hold it, but you have even the slightest catch, it will throw it off center. Bigger catches throw it off the lathe!!
I only breifly looked at the plans to make one and followed one rule, Mount it first, true up the face and sides, and find the exact center. Then lay out how many pegs you want and the arcs. I also found the radius of the arcs are not all that important, as long as they are symetrical to the center. It is a great addition to the collection of homemade chucks I have

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2005 at 3:40am

I thought about the longworth, and use a varient now to center discs for my (now upto 6) segmented peices. However, I could not find any value added over my "cole jaws" for my Nova chuck. I am sure they make them for the oneway everyone else usese.  Same principle. Self Centering chuck for light bottom work.  And yes, even with the machined jaws, I still have come dificulty with centering.

I assume it is from a combination of small differentces in the density of the wood of the rim, flexibility of the thinner rim, imperfections/mild warp, small rubber pins compared to a large bowl, paralax when placing it, and mostly just bad placement by me. I am sure there are other reasons.
I just blend the bottom when I am done.
Do you have to fiddle with the placement a little bit once you set it?

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2005 at 5:39pm

Yes  all the time....  the bolts dont stay exactly  square with the face (if it did  it would be so tight it wouldnt rotate) So I chuck it up.....check it  and center it...stick  a small screwdriver in a finger hole and pry it closed tighter....tighten down and check it again..............if its within a 1/32  close enuff fer me. I use it also for truing up faces of rings, cutting segmented ring interiors to fit a disc I have already made
   BTW  I dont have any chuck....just faceplate, longworth and vacuum
  I plan on gettin a new chuck here soon
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2005 at 5:41pm by Jeff Matter »  

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2005 at 5:15am

Lots of us have talked about vacuum chucking, what is your experience.

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 5:01pm

I made a vacuum chuck for my HB lathe and it works great. I can do light to medium turning with it and have done an entire bowl with it from start to finish just to see if it would. Granted it came off a few times  and  recentering was a pain, but still only took a few minutes and I was back on my way.   For polishing and finishing  its great also, but the rubber I backed my disc with  leaves a black mark  that takes steel wool to get out.........no big thing  tho.  Depending on the piece I put on (size or volume of the inside) I can pull my whole lathe over onto 2 legs (weighs about 175 lbs) and I have collapsed a thin bowl with the suction. I dont see how you can get along without one!  I made mine for $50. If anyone needs  help makin up the bearing fitting,or a vacuum pump I can get um for about 45 bucks
Sorry I didnt responde sooner..........didnt see the post
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2005 at 5:02pm by Jeff Matter »  

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 6:56pm

Is the bearing  threaded for pipe thread on both sides?

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #10 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 1:34am

No the bearing is  1/2" ID and 1 1/4" OD regular old bearing. Then I took a piece of 1/2" OD brass tubing, which fit very tight in the spindel and the other end in the bearing. Then I turned a block of wood with an
1 1/4" diameter recessed about the thickness of the bearing and a 1/2" hole going the rest of the way thru. Glued the bearing in the block of wood and took another piece of brass 1/2" into the 1/2" hole in the back of the block. Hooked up a hose from pump and it was done.
  My spindle has no threads on the rear, just a 1/2" hole going thru it
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2005 at 1:36am by Jeff Matter »  

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 8:14am

Thanks SkyJ, that is really a dirt simple, great idea, and I have a few bearings to play with. The only part I wonder about is that it seems like this setup will also (edited out) air THRU the bearing races, and in doing so will try to (edited out) out the grease, and will (edited out) dust into the races from the (right) headstock side. I know that there is a grease seal on both sides, but vacuum is tough stuff. I guess I could be looking at it incorrectly, but my first thought was that after enough dust is sucked into the bearing race and it locks up, it could get interesting. Of course, all it will do is wind up the vacuum hose and cut off the suction and the wood on the lathe will depart to unknown places. It is a cool idea though, worth a serious try, and maybe figure a way to seal or filter the right bearing race area.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2005 at 8:14am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 9:20am

There is an article about building your own vacuum chuck in the latest woodturning design as well.

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #13 - Sep 9th, 2005 at 7:13pm

I guess Im to used to the "throw away" world! I know the bearring will wear out   , so will the pump due to sucking up dust. The bearing I have is a sealed bearing, but it will eventually build up  with dust and burn out. Thats why I got 4 bearings hehe. I put a filter on the inlet of the pump to help stop the dust  but didnt want to obstruct any of the suction, so its not a "hepa" filter!!
  For the price I cant complain.

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #14 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 9:30am

For any of you interested in the Longworth Chuck there is an excellent article in the latest Woodturning Design magazine.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print