Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Re: Arts and Craft fairs
Reply #15 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 7:18am

Phil,

Take some time and check out this web page:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

There is an article for just about every aspect of doing a Craft Show you can think of including pricing your work and a checklist of supplies to bring.  There is also an article on Credit card processing.

As for the two websites you listed, their fees seem a bit high.  One charges $120 set-up and $10 per month.  The other doesn't charge a set-up fee, but you need to lease a terminal (and those things aren't cheap).

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #16 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 8:10am

Chris, da frog speaks the truth. That's a great site; thanks for the info.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #17 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 8:32am

Chris I have been examining the propay.com web site and I am seriously looking at them if they will answer my email I sent them with some questions I had that was not made clear on the website.  Your right about the different levels of service but you can go up to the next higher level for just @ $20 more or so.  It gives you at least 500 per transaction and 3000 a month limits plus you can take discover and now according to the website American Express.  (as of Jul1st). 

I just called to ask for an application for a show in October.  Got to make all this worth while.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #18 - Aug 12th, 2005 at 4:56am

Nice Website, thanks again Chris.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #19 - Aug 16th, 2005 at 11:20pm

Well, for those of you who were wondering, I finally got set up with that company Chris was talking about propay.com and although I haven't had the need to use it yet, I am now getting very excitred about doing my first show as a licensed business merchant and doing my first credit card sale.  There is a lady here at work who has been wanting one of my bowls ever since she saw one but hasn't been able to afford the one she wants (the big one with the rim was supposed to be hers when it was done but a problem here at work, namely a denied promotion) and she had to back out, but now with the Credit Card route available to her...?
 Anyway as for the site, they are real easy to sign up and the fees seem reasonable, if you are considering doing the craft fair thing and want to take CC's check them out.

« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2005 at 11:22pm by Philip Peak »  

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #20 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 5:24am

Thanks for the update Phil.  Seems this company is becoming the vendor of choice for our type of sales.  I've read many other threads talking about this subject, and propay always seems to come in with the most positive points.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #21 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 7:08am

Got a couple of web sites for all of you out there thinking of doing craft fairs and such.  There is some good reading here especially the craftlister site they have a forum with some good info.

Check them out.  Oh I should add that while both site do have a free membership, you don't get enough info on the events listed, well actually on the craftlister you can get a name and phone number if you look around enough.  I am considering upgrading for the years membership.  I have already signed up for two shows from the craftlister site.
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2005 at 7:19am by Philip Peak »  

WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #22 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 7:44am

Great info Phil.  Propay is easy and reliable from my experience, you should have no problems.  Did you go for the phone authorizations?

Rick, they treated me well for 2 years so far, no missed transactions, money, etc and customer service has always been helpful.  The rates are pretty competitive too.  The nice thing is you don't actually have to be a business or have a business account.  Most banks want all kinds of documentation to do this sort of thing.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #23 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 1:18pm

According to them you can do either/or.  I plan on doing Phone authorizations for most transactions until I feel comfortable with it.  I will have my cell phone with me at all the shows I go to.  So far I am confirmed for one, Sept 10th and got an application  to send in for a two dayer on the 24th and 25th of Sept and I am awaiting an application for a two dayer in Oct.  I am spending almost every waking moment here at home working on my booth.  Got some shelves made up but they need some more work.  I'll post a pic when I am done to see what you all think.

WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #24 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 1:31am

Just an update for any of you that want one.  The first of three scheduled arts and crafts shows is this coming Saturday (10th) and I am a bit nervous.  I set up may stuff as I would expect to set it up at the show and it seemed awfully bare but I forgot I had some stuff in a small gallery of sorts down in Louisville KY that I need to get back, plus I have about 5 items I plan on doing a bit of rework on when I get the chance. 
  I got my Credit card service set up and a knuckle buster for swiping cards for reciept purposes,  my EZ-up canopy is ready except for some weights to anchor it down (show is on an asphalt lot so no stakes, but I have an idea already).  I just hope the weather is good that day (it is supposed to be). 

WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #25 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 4:49am

Make sure we get some photos and a final report Smiley

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Tom Stover

Shepherdsville, Ky, Kentucky, USA
Shepherdsville, Ky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #26 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 4:51am

Phillip, what fair are you setting up at on the 10th of sept.? There are several fall festivals going on at that time and I was wondering where you will be.

Joseph T.(Tom) Stover

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #27 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 12:55pm

Smoky, he is going to be at Highview Baptist Church.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #28 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 1:08pm

Philip, gallon milk jugs filled w/either sand or water work well. Be mindful of "trip hazards." Do you have event insurance? Check w/your local, ind., insurance, agent.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #29 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 4:47pm

Hey guys
  As you may have noticed, I posted some pics of my booth setup for the craft fair.  I think it will be okay, I made some changes from my original idea (mainly left out one large shelf and added on smaller and a work table).  I will not leave these pics up very long but I would very much appreciate some feed back from you all.  It is Monday night and the craft fair is Saturday and I am gonna set the booth up Friday night.

WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print