Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Arts and Craft fairs (Read 9,644 times)

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Re: Arts and Craft fairs
Reply #30 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 7:00pm

It looks good to me Philip. More light on your turnings would be helpful, if power is available.

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #31 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 1:17am

Unfotunately there will be no power provided.  I want to thank everyone for their input and I will let you all know how everything goes as soon after 4:00 PM EDT on Saturday as possible. 
  I am taking my booth pics down since I seem to have gotten all the input I am gonna get on it.

Chris
  You gave me an idea for a display stand and I am gonna put it together tomorrow.  I will post that pic when I get it done. 

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 8:24am

Take and post some pics of your booth setup during the fair.

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #33 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 11:56am

One more question.  I have a bunch of stuff from my "early days" of turning and as you might expect it looks less than..  well lets just say it is not the best.  I am considering setting up a small section of heavily reduced prices.  Question is, good or bad idea? 

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #34 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 1:11pm

Probably not the best idea Phil.  It will make people wonder why they are 'reduced' and what defects have caused them to be reduced and how it reflects on the non-reduced work.  You're not only there to sell your wares at that present function, you're also there to generate interest in your product for future & repeat buyers or future shows...put your best foot forward and leave it there.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #35 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 3:51am

Good luck, I am off to a local craft fair in an hour or so. As a viewer, mind you.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #36 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 1:28pm

OK Phil, it is now 4:25 your time (and mine) so

REPORT!!!

JIM

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #37 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 8:07pm

The report is, it was a dismal failure.  Did not even come close to making back by entry fee.  Sold exactly two items, both were the bracelets at $10.00 each and one of them was to another woodturners wife who was making such a big deal out of them that another woman who happened to be in the area stopped and got one.    It was a long hot miserable day.   It was supposed to be a juried  arts and crafts show but I think Smokey will verify (he showed up and kept me company for a while) that some of the stuff was questionable that it was made by the person selling it.  I felt like I was in a high end flea market instead of an arts and crafts show.  I did get some booth pics although I did some rearranging as time went on and the sun moved overhead.  
 The shelves worked real well and there was plenty of light inside to see (actually had to get sunglasses inside to keep from squinting).  Got lots of compliments on my work but aside from the two bracelets, zilch....!!
 Needless to say I am glad it is over with.  I am signed up for at least two more shows over the next month, both being two day shows one in two weeks (again in KY) and one October in Indiana (finally one in my home state).  I am debating one more one day show in November in Louisville.  
 Lesson learned?  Plenty.  I probably might have done better if my prices weren't so high.  I used a general $10.00 per inch rule and adjusted if thought it necessary.   As the fair was coming to a close, Stitchin' Girl and myself looked at my stuff and decided that probably many of the items may have been a bit on the outlandish side price wise.  I have no doubt that had this been an real upper crust art and craft show I would have sold out or had a greatly reduced inventory.  The two most looked at and ooh ahh'ed at items were my mesquite egg and a cedar fluted piece that I  made several years ago and of course the big maple bowl with the rim.  The pens got a lot of attention especially the corn cob ones but again, sold nary a one.  
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2005 at 8:09pm by Philip Peak »  

WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #38 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 8:43pm

I think I mentioned this one other time Philip. My wife did art and craft shows for several years. Unfortunately the results are often like yours. Folks tend to shy away from buying anything over 20 bucks. I've heard the $20 bill referred to as "yuppie food stamps" because so many people stop on their way to the show at an ATM and get a few 20's. They tend to not want to part with more than one at a time, and it's usually at a food booth. Very few people know what goes into a work of art or the craftsmanship necessary. Thus the term, 'starving artist'. But don't give up because someday someone comes along that will see something they love and take it home with them. Just have plenty of inexpensive trinkets to sell to cover the booth fees.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Lee Goehring

West Central Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
West Central Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #39 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 4:42am

I've had it go both ways, Phillip, and the size of the show was just the opposite of my sales. I sold over 3 times as much to a small, local crowd as to the big, multi-state crowd at my last effort. That was a long, hot, crummy day too. Like you, lots of compliments, but nobody was selling much at all except water. A lady next to me said it was the worst sale day she'd had there in 5 years.

One thing I have found to be of some value, is to keep track of what items I tend to sell at which shows. Then I can avoid dragging along things that probably won't sell anyway.

Better luck next time.

A man's home may be his castle, but his woodshop is his sanctuary.

IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #40 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 10:32am

Philip, sorry to hear of your less than satisfactory day.  But your stuff is well worth many more tries, and at a true arts and crafts show with good quality offerings, I am sure that you will do very well  Hang in there!

Jim

JIM

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #41 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 4:55pm

Sorry to hear about the show, but just take the lessons, do your best and drive on. Wink

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Glenn
WR Addict

Reply #42 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 5:25pm

Sorry to hear the show did not go as you hoped.  Keep trying.  Craft shows can be tough.  My parents did a few a year for quite some time selling laminated cutting boards.  Some shows were great, other never got back the initial investment.  Keep plugging away.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Tom Stover

Shepherdsville, Ky, Kentucky, USA
Shepherdsville, Ky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #43 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 3:16am

Philips booth was set-up real well with everything above waist high. Of coarse his turnings looked great. Some of the other merchants had merchandise that looked like it was made in China(I'm not saying it was but it sure looked like it, especially the X-mas stuff). I'm surprised he didn't sell more with all the lookers he had. The next one might be better Philip, hang in there.

Joseph T.(Tom) Stover

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #44 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 5:25pm

Very sorry to hear.  I only had my stuff in one festival and the only things I sold are my mushrooms and only 1 or 2 boxes.  No bowls...nothing.  Some shows/fairs/festivals people seem to only wanna buy things on the cheap side.  I am trying to support local crafters more though.   Experiencing what it's like nowadays first hand...changed alot of the stuff that I buy and where I buy it at.  I'm sure you will have many productive sales in the future.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print