Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Another great chuck deal (Read 2,343 times)

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Another great chuck deal
Aug 15th, 2005 at 12:42pm

If you are looking for an inexpensive first chuck or a second 'back-up' chuck, check this deal out at Penn State:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

$45!

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Re: Another great chuck deal
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2005 at 1:43pm

Sweet deal!  The picture looks as if there are two inserts included?  Anybody know what tpi these are (if indeed they're inserts)?

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2005 at 1:49pm

Hey Rick,  There was more information if you click the teeny-tiny link under the price:

New Utility Grip™ 4-Jaw Lathe Chuck— includes 2 sets of Jaws
Our newest self-centering utility chuck is ideal for mini, midi, or even full size lathes. Hold bowl blanks or spindles from the inside or outside with the included #1 and #2 jaws. A screw chuck (not shown) is also included as an added bonus.
• #2 jaws expands from 2" to 3-3/4" dia. to grab inside. Grips from 1-5/8" to 3-1/2" dia. from the outside.
• #1 jaws expend from 13/16" to 2-7/8" diameter to grab inside.
Grips from 1/2" to 2-1/8" diameter, from the outside.
Includes adapters for 3/4" x 16tpi and 1" x 8tpi (not shown).
Weight is 5lbs.

Then for $10 more you get the 8" Jumbo Flat Jaws for CUG3418 Chuck. Grips rim of bowl up to 8" diameter.

It is a tommy bar style chuck, so in my opinion it's a back-up or starter chuck.  If this is a chuck for someone getting serious, I'd go for at least the Grizzly chuck mentioned on the photo area as it's a key style and only requires 2 hands instead of 3.  Wink

Three Mutts Customs

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2005 at 10:10pm

Well, I just purchased this chuck.  I needed another chuck for my new lathe.  I paid the $70 and got the flat jaws too.  I will let you guys know how good it is when I receive it.  Thanks for the heads up on this deal.
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2005 at 10:10pm by Negeltu »  
Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2005 at 11:16pm

Penn State usually has good stuff Neg, from the looks of it this chuck is similar to the Nova standard chuck.  Who knows, the Nova jaws might even fit...

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 9:49pm

It should be here very very soon.  I've been watching the tracking on ups everyday.  It is so exciting waiting for new toys to arrive, but it can be nerve racking too.  Probably be here monday.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2005 at 2:31pm

I'd be interested to hear what you think Neg...let us know how it works out.

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2005 at 6:53pm

We'll know soon enough.  It's on it's way to the Portland facility tonight and then will be sent out for delivery in the morn.  Smiley   Those flat jaws are gonna be so great.  I'm tired of jam chucking all my bowls.  Thanks again for pointing us to this deal.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2005 at 4:56pm

Well, I got the chuck today.  I gotta say it is absolutely wonderful!  The jaws are even serated for maximum grip.  Dovetailed too it looks like to me.  The chuck came with #1, #2 and the 8" flat jaws...oh..and a screw chuck.  I cannot believe how easy it is to finish the bottoms of bowls with those flat jaws.  The chuck has no wobble whatsoever.  Pretty good machining.  I can take some photo's for you guys later so you can see how nicely the jaws are matched up.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Reply #9 - Aug 24th, 2005 at 5:04pm

Great to hear Neg, it's always nice when a deal ends up being that good.  By the way, serrated jaws?  Oneway is the only one I know that does that, maybe we've found another 'knock-off' or patent re-licensing?

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #10 - Aug 24th, 2005 at 7:11pm

Posting pics of the jaws in members gallery now.  The step jaws also have inner serration.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #11 - Aug 25th, 2005 at 4:13am

Maybe it is just me, but the pics of those chuck jaws didn't look dovetailed to me George.  If this is a Oneway style chuck then they would not be dovetailed, they would be straight.   I believe that the Nova chucks dovetailed jaws.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #12 - Aug 25th, 2005 at 4:55am

I suppose I can see your point about the whole jaw not being a dovetail, but the very ends are dovetail-like.   My other chuck has these shorter dovetail ends on it's jaws that kind of lock around a tenon when you cut it with a slight angle.  The #2 jaws do have dovetail-like ends, but the #1 is only angled on the outside if that makes sense.  I don't have much experience with chucks, but I'm learning.   Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2005 at 5:37am by Negeltu »  
Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Reply #13 - Aug 25th, 2005 at 7:40am

I took a look at different chucks online and this one is interesting.  The body doesn't look like anything else I could find, but it seems they borrowed the idea of serrated jaws from Oneway and then added the top dovetail.  Pretty cool idea since I've had a few pieces that may have stayed on the lathe with that top dovetail.  Phil's right, the Oneway serrated jaws are totally straight on the inside, but there is a dovetail like lip on the outside.

Neg, you'll like the #1 jaws they hold squares and rounds really nicely when turning finials, tops, mushrooms, etc.

A great bargain, and you just got it in time, PS has ended the special where you get the Jumbo Flat jaws for an extra $10.

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #14 - Aug 25th, 2005 at 6:43pm

Yeah they ended it almost immediately after I made my purchase.  I may have gotten the very last one.  Either way, I really am liking this chuck.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print