Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Small Gloat/Big Question (Read 3,115 times)

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Re: Small Gloat/Big Question
Reply #15 - Aug 24th, 2005 at 5:22pm

Between the camphor and the cedar you should draw a crowd just from the aroma. That is unless they set you up too close to the cow, pig, and sheep exhibits.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #16 - Aug 25th, 2005 at 4:09am

Sorry I won't be able to be there Doug, I hope you have fun, just remember that the crowd is there to watch you turn  Wink.  Might want to keep the Amens reserved for when you are able to successfully complete what your working on.  
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2005 at 4:09am by Philip Peak »  

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Reply #17 - Aug 25th, 2005 at 7:44am

If that Camphor is really green, it won't matter what Rev is next to, the wood smell will over-power anything.  I had a small pile of shavings in my garage from a green piece I turned and for the first 3 days you could smell it at the street with the garage all closed up!

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Aug 25th, 2005 at 9:31am

Yep, it is powerful stuff. I love that Camphor smell, but at times it toooo much and I must leave or open a window..

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #19 - Aug 25th, 2005 at 10:26am

Connie doesn't even want my son around the garage when I'm turning camphor.  She's sure that it can't be good for him to be around because of the STRONG smell.  Got it and a piece of apple ready for the glue block.  Will complete three others and get the glue blocks glued on tonight.  I'm getting more excited each day as it gets closer and closer.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #20 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 8:04pm

Just walked into the house.  The demo went very well.  The camphor did indeed bring them in. 

I was wondering what the folks would be like.  2 sessons before me was a guy selling his liquid fertilizer.  After him, just before me, was a lady talking about saving money on energy costs.  Tried to claim that mowing with a lawn mower used more gas and created more polution than driving for 2 hours.  Let's see, a quart of gas vs 5-10 gal. ... I don't think so.

I probably had 25-30 that stayed with me the entire 2 hours and another 60 or so that wondered in and out.  They were all amazed and a few asked questions.  One woman wanted to know what it would take for her husband to get into turning.   

I turned 4 pieces; camphor, apple, and 2 walnuts.  Got some nice ribbons off the apple, but not like I wanted.  It had dried a lot since the other day.  Did get a few though, enough to let them see the difference between green (sort of) and dry. 

All in all, I'm real glad I did it and will again next year if I get a chance.  Lots of work and lots of fun.  Don't know if I can stand to do another camphor piece or not, but I'm sure this group can come up with something.     8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #21 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 8:19pm

Sounds like the two ahead of you were both selling one form or another of BS. Also sounds like you did very well if you were able to keep 30 folks interested for a couple hours. Especially if you were competing with the tractor pulls, demolition derby, etc. Way to go Rev. I would have loved to have been there to watch!

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #22 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 8:37pm

Never been miked when I was turning before.  Also had one of those big mirrors over head so that the audience had two views.  Pretty cool.   8)

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #23 - Aug 28th, 2005 at 12:40am

Doug
  Glad to hear you had a good time and that everything went well.  Knowing my luck, I would have gotten a big catch and had sent a piece flying, totally embarrassing myself.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #24 - Aug 28th, 2005 at 3:43am

Great to hear Rev. Glad it went well. What an experience.

I am with Phil, I would have launched one into the crowd.

Did you buy any fertilizer?

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Aug 28th, 2005 at 7:19am

Congratulations, Rev. A demo is great fun.

FYI, I did mine with my Trend on, and the clip-on mic was inside of it to pickup my speech. Problem was that the mic also picked up the sound of the air fan and motor. The folks said that they could hardly hear me talk.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #26 - Aug 28th, 2005 at 7:29am

As to launching a piece, I thought that I might.  One of my blanks had a gap between the blank and the glue block.  My screws did not go all the way through the block and into the blank, so I warned them.  Everything stayed together though.

I don't think that I ever would have used a trend for a demo.  Might convey a hazardous risk to those watching who did not have protection.  I did use my Dust-Be-Gone mask when turning the walnut pieces.  Told them that I didn't like blowing black out of my nose for the nest 2 days.  They seemed to understand. 

Only tripped on the mike cord once  Embarrassed.  Never went down though. 
                                                                 8)

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Aug 28th, 2005 at 7:33am

My audience was all turners, and they know that there is a risk.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #28 - Aug 28th, 2005 at 7:37am

there you go!   8)

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #29 - Aug 28th, 2005 at 8:51am

Congrats on a successfull demo Rev!  Glad everything stayed in one piece for ya.  If you didn't get anyone looking to buy, just remember those fair goers ususally aren't the ones with the big bucks your stuff deserves.  But you did get woodturning out there for folks to see, and maybe one more for the vortex?

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print