Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Small Gloat/Big Question (Read 5,290 times)

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Small Gloat/Big Question
Aug 16th, 2005 at 7:27pm

First the gloat, I've been asked to demo at the state fair this year.  I had several choices in times, but chose the 6 pm slot on the next to last night of the fair (which happens to be Saturday night).  As I remember, Chris, it was at an extended demo that you said your turning took off.  Don't know what is going to happen, but here's for hoping something takes off.  Got to get some cards made up for folks to take with them.

Second, the question.  I'll be working on a Jet mini.  Same size as my Mercury, so face plates, chucks, etc. won't be an issue.  I have the thought to turn 2 items, a pen and a platter/plate.  So what do you think, turn the plate first and then a cob pen?  Or, turn a wood pen with the plate afterward?  Either way I believe it will make an interesting and educating demo.  Just wondered what you might thing would be most interesting.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Re: Small Gloat/Big Question
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2005 at 10:56pm

Rev, if you will be up on a stage and the crowd will have to watch from any kind of a distance, ditch the pen and start with a green wood bowl.  The shavings flying will attract a crowd, then you can hit them with the platter, turn it to finish and you will probably have a sale before you're done.  If you can, use Camphor for the green wood bowl...now that will attract a huge crowd.  I used camphor to start each day of my demo and people from 2 halls over were coming to me, attracted by the smell.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2005 at 11:06pm

Doug
  If you need a piece of camphor, I can help you out.  I still have that big chunk I got from Gil.  I am sure we can work out something.  What is the exact date of your Demo, this Saturday or next?

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 4:58am

Hey Rev, congratulations on the invitation to demonstrate at the state fair.  Wow.  That's recognition in itself. 

As to your modus operandi, well, Chris has all of the right ideas it seems to me.  His good experience has shown him (and us), that even for this sort of thing (turning in public), along with great skill, Billy Shakespeare's lines are still applicable:

"All the world's a stage and the people in it are merely players"

Good luck with the demo.  Wish I could be there.

You will be taking some stuff along to sell, right?

Jim

JIM

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 12:59pm

The collective thought here is just the best.  

Phil, if you can part with it, I think I could use a piece of that camphor you are offering.  About 7 1/2" diameter is it for the Jet mini.  If it is 2-3" thick I could make a plate with it, no problem.  That ought to get their ofactories going.  Also, it is the 27th, the next to last day of the fair.  I'll get the location and post later.

Chris, your idea of flying chips reminded me that I got a couple of apple pieces that I still have.  Love the way apple sends ribbons flying over the shoulder.  And, so smooth to cut.  What a blast that could be.

Starting to look like I could get three pieces done.  
Depends on how many questions there are and how well I'm able to talk and work at the same time.  Guess I need to figure some finish to take along as well.

Jim, I don't think it is that kind of deal.  I'll double check on it, but I don't believe we are allowed to sell from the demonstration stage.  I am going to have some cards made up by then so that folks can get in touch with me though.  Besides, all my sellable stuff is in a gallery already.  It's not selling and I need to remove it, but it is not in my posession currently.

Thanks guys.   I appreciate the advice and encouragement.  8)
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2005 at 1:06pm by Rev. Doug Miller »  

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 1:19pm

Rev, take a photo album of your currently "available" work and set that near the work area.  I couldn't sell in person at mine either so the album gave interested parties something to look at and see what they could buy.  It's also a good reference for people who become interested in turning at your demo to see what finished pieces look like.

Three Mutts Customs
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 1:24pm

Yet another good idea.   8)

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 2:28pm

Rev, another thought that comes to mind, take some small turning squares with you.  If you have extra time or get bored with bowls, turn a couple of tops and give them to kids in the crowd. It puts your work in their hands (the adults will inevitably ask to see them) and the kids love them.

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 12:05am

I really can't add much to the above discussion except offer my congrats. Well deserved.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

paulporter

So many trees, so little
time!

Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 9:59am

Congratulations Rev!  Take lots of green wood bowl blanks.  People like to see lots of action like shavings flying.   Shocked   You will go through more blanks then you think.  I demonstrate regularly at the local Rockler Woodworking store.  My bigest crowds are when I'm turning a bowl with the chips flyin'.  Folks don't show as much interest when you are doing something small like a box or a pen.  

And it's great fun.  I always come away from demos "pumped up."  Grin

~Paul
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2005 at 10:07am by paulporter »  

"Now, if I only had a silencer for my chainsaw...my neighbors trees would be in grave danger."
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #10 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 1:19pm

Just got the word, no sales allowed. Cry  Green and smelly wood is fine though, even encouraged.  Looks like 2 or 3 platters on the way while demoing in front of what could be the largest crowd I've ever turned in front of.  That's ok though, I'm kind of used to being in front of crowds.   8)

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

texascop47
WR Addict

What happened to that
web page?

Reply #11 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 4:44pm

Congradulations Rev I know you will knock them out with an outstanding performance.  I have no other ideas that haven't been mentioned.  Good Luck

keep the bevel rubbing
eeg520  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #12 - Aug 23rd, 2005 at 2:18pm

Hey Rev, that's usually the way but I think we've given you a few ideas to 'bend' the rules.  Worst case, pass out business cards.  Have fun with it and don't worry about the crowd, you'll be too busy with turning to even notice them.

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #13 - Aug 24th, 2005 at 8:46am

Have 5 blanks almost ready to go.  They include; camphor, apple, mahogany, walnut, and one mystery wood that I'm not quite sure what the devil it is.  Maybe I can figure it out when I turn it.  I may go wild and get a red "cedar" blank ready.  Then I'll have more than enough to keep me busy.  I've been told that I will get lots of questions and that I need to stop and talk about what I'm doing along the way.  Makes good sense to me.  I think I'm supposed to be plugging the club as well.  
Can't
WAIT
!
                                8)
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2005 at 8:48am by Rev. Doug Miller »  

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Aug 24th, 2005 at 2:32pm

You are going to be a huge success, Rev.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print