Bracelets tutorial (Read 5,701 times)

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Re: Bracelets tutorial
Reply #15 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 3:50am

Yeah, but I haven't figured out how to turn those yet. Angry

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #16 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 2:06am

Well,  I had to try a couple of these myself. They were all snatched up by my wife and daughter before I could even get a picture of them.
   I dont have a chuck (yet) so I had to resort to diffrent methods. I first bored the blank with a 3" hole saw  then did the inside with a 2 3/8 hole saw. I then mounted the piece on the longworth chuck and turned the inside and finish sanded. Then I took a scrap of 4x4 cypress and turned a taper on it from 2 1/4 to 2 5/8 in about 6 inches of length. Jam the braclet on the taper and turned the outside. It worked OK but has a tendency to come off the taper when turning the left side . I pushed one on a lil to much and broke it.
   Someday I'll get chuck
  I also found, depending on the wood, they are fairly fragile. My daughter wore the first one I made for 2 days until it broke when she hit it on something.
  My second one was laminated with 3 pieces (bloodwood, cypress, bloodwood) and I turned the grains perpendicular to each other at glue up. Seems alot stronger

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #17 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 9:19am

Sky,  keep in mind grain orientation will make a huge difference in the strength, as will the relative strength of the wood and the thickness of the bracelet wall it self.

Your alternate method is a good one, but try this for the outsides:  mount a block up and turn a slightly tapered cylinder.  Then bore the cylinder out so that the walls are about 1/4".  Once bored out, make cuts down the length of the cylinder about 3/4 way down.  Then, turn a cone that will fit in the opening of the tapered cylinder and stop about 1/2 way up the cone.  When you put the bracelet on the cylinder, then the cone in the end, then bring the tailstock up against the cone and tighten.  The cone will force the "fingers" of the cylinder to open and thus tighten on the bracelet keeping it in place a bit better.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #18 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 4:55pm

Chris, I've got a question about the pendant.  What type of clasp did you end up using?  I couldn't really tell from any of the pics, and when I went to Hobby Lobby I didn't see anything that didn't entail tieing a knot on both end of the leather, which isn't what I was looking for.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #19 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 5:26pm

Thanks Spinner,
  I was thinkin of sumpin similar to that but that makes it more simple

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #20 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 1:15pm

If you don't read Wood Central, there was a post by Wally Dickerman (a really fine turner, by the way), that shows some of the bracelets he made a while back.  Here's the link:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Like SkyJ, he found that laminated bracelets were more durable than solid wood.

So Sky, how thick were your laminate pieces?  Did you have to plane them to get even thickness?
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2005 at 1:15pm by Rick in Lincoln »  

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #21 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 1:24am

I used what ever I had laying around. About  1/4" thick stuff. Ive done a couple more  stacking 1/4" then 1/16, 1/4, 1/16, then 1/4 . I have a thickness planer so it only takes a second to run um thru and true them up.(BTW I DONT plane the 1/16" stuff!!.....1/8 is as small as I dare go, otherwise the planer just eats the wood!!) With them being laminated, they can be turned a bit thinner than the solid ones and still stay strong

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #22 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 1:26am

WOW  those bracelets on that last link look just like mine!!
  BTW I finally broke down and bought a chuck......makes things much easier
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2005 at 1:27am by Jeff Matter »  

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #23 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 6:26am

Sky, were your 1/4" and 1/16" pieces resawn or pieces you bought somewhere.

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #24 - Oct 1st, 2005 at 4:54pm

All from stock I have, resawn and planed if possible. If ya need some milled up Ide be glad to send ya sum. I have a bunch of bloodwood, mahogany, wormy chestnut,  Ipe, and cypress new growth and antique
( Fella I work with deals in Cypress timbers, I can get 12 x 12  cut offs up to 2' long)

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #25 - Oct 1st, 2005 at 5:58pm

Thanks for the offer.  I've got the tools (bandsaw and planer), so I'll try some on my own.  Don't have the selection of timber you do though.  Sad

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #26 - Oct 1st, 2005 at 8:08pm

SkyJ,  Wish I were closer, that Cypress sounds great.  I am trying to find some more Olive.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #27 - Oct 2nd, 2005 at 1:16am

I would not mind getting my hands on some of that cypress myself.  Shipping would be outrageously expensive for a piece that size.  Maybe next summer when I take my family to Disney World I can stop by and load up.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #28 - Oct 2nd, 2005 at 2:29am

Unfortunatley the cypress is usually soakin wet. I mean a moisture content of 50% or more,(seeing as most of it is either growing in water or salvaged from river bottoms) very unstable, and checks severly after turning or just cutting. Ive been workin with cypress for about 3 years now making cabinets and doors and furniture with it, and I hate it!! Ive had boards shrink (1x 12's 12' in length)  up to 1 1/2" longitude and 3/4' latitude. Soon learned I had to make everything with slip joints. A 12 x 12 x12 will weight 50- 60 lbs, 20 dry.  Cant kiln dry cypress either, only dehumidification kilns at the rate of 2" a year!!  Natural drying is at the rate of 1" per year. If any of you make it down this way..........I'll load ya up!! We have pallets just stacked with cutoffs, which I keep threating to toss in the dumpster.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #29 - Oct 2nd, 2005 at 7:30am

I don't know about all the stores, but the WoodCraft in Louisville carries Cypress knees most all the time.  They are dry as evidenced by the light weight.  I've thought several times about getting one to turn.  Just don't know what I'd have once I turned it.  SkyJ, got any pics you could post in the gallery?   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print