Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
On captive rings (Read 1,719 times)

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

On captive rings
Aug 21st, 2005 at 6:07am

A walnut goblet I posted a while back had a small captive ring on it, and it was suggested that the ring could have had a bigger I.D.

The ring wasn't that hard to make.  I have a two pronged ring tool that helped me start out, and the final, breakoff cut was done with a skew point.

I agreed with the ID problem, so I took a scrap of 150G and wrapped it around the stem.  Then I twirled the ring around for a while (while watching Tommy Lee goes to College, required viewing here in Lincoln), and got a much better result.

Below is before/after shot of how it came out.  I think it's looking much better now.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Re: On captive rings
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 6:59am

Nice ring, Rick.
How about a (temporary) pic of the two-pronged ring tool?

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 7:13am

I imagine that in Lincoln you watch what ever is available.  Anyway, about he ring, I thing it looks way better.  Not only is it looser on the stem, it looks more finished, like it is supposed to be there, not like a "happy accident," as it was called by a friendly artist on PBS days gone by.  Nice fix.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY. Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens. Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 7:50am

Rev, I'll have you know that if I fold the aluminum just right, I can get 2 channels  Grin

Gil, here's the tool.  It's a Sorby 1/4", this shot is bevel side up.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 8:23am

If I am looking at the ring forming tool properly, it is a scraper that could also be used to make beads.
Thanks, looks pretty easy to make.

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 10:53am

I think you're right Gil, it may have been actually sold as a bead making tool.  But the prongs help to get under the 'beads' and violaa, a captive ring.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 8:30am

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Figured as much.   Grin

8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY. Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens. Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2005 at 2:30pm

Yep, that's a beading tool alright.  it will help with a captive ring for about 90% of it if you swing it left & right to undercut it a little bit.  You can make a 'ring freeing tool" fairly simply.  Just take anything that can be bend & sharpened, I used an old #1 size screwdriver, bend it to 90 degree and sharpen the end like a diamond point tool.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2005 at 4:53pm

LOL ,
  Thats weird chris, I made the same type tool from a short 1/4  chisel....I bent a curve on it then ground to a point....worked ok..................wish the the whole thing was longer than 5 inches tho!!!  hehehe  the neat thing was when I did catch(which I did many times) the chisel rotated in the handle right outa way of the piece which saved me from ducking flying tools...hehehe....Dont try this at home folks!!! I was kinda unaware of the power of the lathe at that point. I have since retired the tool to the "stupid Idea" rack. Undecided

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 23rd, 2005 at 5:25pm

Yep, I rather figured that the bead tool would do most of the captive ring, but I would need a hook of some kind to free the ring without tearing up the stem.
Thanks

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Reply #10 - Aug 25th, 2005 at 7:50am

I'll see if I can do a quick video on turning captive rings, they're actually pretty easy to turn once you see someone do it.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 25th, 2005 at 9:28am

Thanks Chris. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print