Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Goncalo alves (Read 905 times)

Boots

Goncalo alves
Aug 21st, 2005 at 2:27pm

Hi guys,
            I rescently turned a piece of Goncalo alves, a piece I won in the raffle. I had to turn a drilled bowl for the competition at the club, sadly just finishing tooling and ready to sand and
BANG!
bits every where, very nearly dropped my cup of tea, ( sorry, I lied about the tea, just seemed to fit there nicely) turned another piece (as seen in the gallery) no problem, on club night I took the bits in to show and two other guys have had this alves explode on them, one wasnt even tooling it at the time. any ideas, by the way I came 1st in my class with my second bowl. 

Boots

Boots Boots  
IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Re: Goncalo alves
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 5:44pm

Good on you, lad! 1st with a 2nd is always welcome.

Why did your bowl "blow up?" 1. you weren't spinning the piece fast enough and chatter took its toll. 2. You tried to turn you walls/bottom too thin. This alone will stress the wood causing it to deform. Add too much tool pressure and BANG! Thin walls=light touch. 3. Your tool hit an "imperfection." 4. Perish the thought, you were the "imperfection."

You can make a "chatter damper" from a real rubber tyre bladder. Cut the bladder into "big, elastic, bands."
Put one or two of these around your bowl while turning the inside. They'll reduce the chatter.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Re: Goncalo alves
Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 6:06pm

I've only had Goncalo in sticks, so no bangs for me.  Did all three of you get the wood at the same time?  From the same place?  If it was green, maybe it all broke from tortion being released, as a side branch would have.  Thats a shame, it's really a pretty wood.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print