Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Newbie turner just checking in (Read 3,415 times)

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Newbie turner just checking in
Aug 21st, 2005 at 4:47pm

Hi all,
My name is Jeff and Ive been a woodworker for 24 years, framing, trim, cabinets, and furniture. I just started turning a few months ago. Since then, Ive done about 15 or more turnings, mostly segmented. Had a few blowouts and pieces rolling out into the driveway, but still learning more and more, every piece i turn. One of my questions is about the tools and how they are used ( like what angle they should be presented to the work piece and such). Ive seen sites where the person is presenting the tool to the piece (a skew) at an angle (upward) and almost  shaving the wood off. Where as others present it at a 90 degreee angle at the center line or slightly below it. The first presentation scares me, as it seems it would catch a kick the tool into the floor!!! ( Which it did when I tryied it and also bent my cheap aluminum faceplate!!)
  Ive grown most comfortable with the skew and the scrapers but still am scared of the bowl gouges. I have had quite a few catches with them. Is there any "real" rule of thumb, or shall I continue using what I am comfortable with?? I am pretty much self taught in turnings( The Hard Way!!) and could use any advice to make things easier.
   Ive been following this forum and reading posts and found some of the info quite helpful.
  I will post some pics of my work when I figure out how to.
  I hope to learn more from you all!1
                                       Jeff

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Re: Newbie turner just checking in
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 5:04pm

Welcome to the vortex, Jeff.

With regard to your question about tool use: It's not impossible to learn proper tool technique from a vidio but it's very difficult. My suggestion is that you locate a local/nearby turning club and ask for assistance. If you don't know of a club in your area go to  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register;  On the home page, left side, you will see a menu, click on the local chapters icon.

I'm self-taught so I'm not the one to give "proper" technique instruction with the possible exception of the skew chisel.

I'm quite sure other members will be able to help you more than I. The key is hands-on instruction.

Again, welcome to the vortex; you're in it for the duration, lad.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 5:17pm

Thanks for the welcome Bud.
The "vortex" is right!!  It seems to have sucked me in and I spend all my free time out in the garage (which I did anyhow, but now its doing something else besides making furniture and drinkin beer!!) My wife is none to happy about it either as it takes even more time away from her. After finishing an item, she says "that nice, where are gonna put all this sh-t?" LOL
Hopefully the obsession will wear off a little and I can get back to more important stuff...................like drinkin beer!!!!  But till then.....

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 5:27pm

Jeff, If you sell your furniture, cabinets, etc. Include a turned piece in the deal. You'll be surprised at the result.

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 5:39pm

I have!! the last big cabinet job I did was all out of antique cypress. I turned a segmented lidded bowl for the owners out of antique sinker cypress and they where overwealmed by it!! They asked if I had pics of more work and offered to help sell them or make custom ones for thier friends and /or family. (what's nice is these people have money and reconize "artwork")

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 5:53pm

How do ya post pics??

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 6:19pm

Hey Jeff, welcome to WR!

On the second page of threads under the Wr Updates & Info is a thread on the photo sharing setup we use.  You can get to it from the home page.

Here's what Chris (our benevolent leader) has to say about posting pics:

'just go to the photo sharing page, register and then when you log in an upload photos link will appear in the upper right hand corner.  You'll have to register for the photo area separately since it's made by a different company than the message boards, but you can register with the same user name and password if you want.'

Photos should be under 100K, and I use a 600x450 pixel size.  That seems to work pretty well.

Hope to see some of that segmented stuff soon.
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2005 at 6:19pm by Rick in Lincoln »  

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #7 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 8:13pm

Hi Jeff and welcome to the addiction we call woodturning.   To answer your question on posting pics, here is what I posted recently for another member

Quote:
Go to the photo sharing area, you must register there as well it is two different softwares and just being registered here won't work there.  after you register and log in look to the upper right of the screen and just below the large logo bar with the message boards, project plans, art galleries, tips and hazards headings is a thinner line and on the right end  you will see the words upload photos underlined.  click on it. Another box will coem up and in the middle you will see a button that says browse.  click on it.  The window that comes up will allow you to find the location on your computer where your photo is.  When you find the file you want, highlite it and click on open and the rest should be self explanatory.  

Just ask if you have any problems. 

I noticed in  your profile that you are in Orlando FL.  are you actually in Orlando or in one of the surrounding communities?  On occasion we (me wife and kids) head down to the Homossasa springs area to visit my wifes mother.  Members of this forum have a tendancy to got together when one is in the others vicinity.  If your still here next summer maybe you can give me a way to get away from the inlaw for a day  Cheesy
  Anyway, welcome to the forum and I hope we hear more from you and see some of your work soon.

« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2005 at 8:37pm by Philip Peak »  

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #8 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 12:55am

Yes Philipe, I do live in Orlando. East Orlando to be exact. About 25 miles east of the Mouse house (Disney World)
I dont plan on going anywhere for a few years.

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #9 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 2:01am

Jeff I just found his website online and thought you might be interested.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Not sure how far this is from you.  I went to the Website that Bud mentioned and found it.  There are a lotof clubs it seems in the "central Florida" region, some of them might be closer than this one. 
  Here is a link directly to the AAW (american association of woodturners) list of chapter clubs

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Check it out.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #10 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 2:14am

Ive posted a few pics in the gallery under Skyj.
   Thanks for the links

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #11 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 2:29am

You do some excellent work Jeff, and you have been turning how long?

WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #12 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 3:17am

About 3 months. Granted Ive been working with wood for my whole life so it kinda comes easy to me. I will post a few of my oops projects soon as soon as I find all the pieces (they are scattered around the shop)

IP Logged

texascop47
WR Addict

What happened to that
web page?

Reply #13 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 3:55am

Welcome to this wonderful forum it is almost like an extended family from all over the world.  Ask and someone should know or direct you to something that will help.  I agree with the others get with a local turning club and they will be able to help with the tools faster than watching a video. Nice work and keep turning.

keep the bevel rubbing
eeg520  
IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #14 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 7:05am

Jeff, lad, in 3 months you've become very accomplished. In 3 years you'll be a "well-known" turner. You have the gift, use it well.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print