Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help!!  Ideas, suggestions needed from all!!! (Read 1,395 times)

Jimmy Cusic

Just a bit,  a skew!!

Garland Tx, Texas, USA
Garland Tx
Texas
USA

Help!!  Ideas, suggestions needed from all!!!
Aug 21st, 2005 at 5:02pm

Hi gang:  I need some Ideas and words of wisdom. At our last club meeting I was asked to help come up with ideas for "raffles".  We currently have a "bring back" program where members bring a turned item to go into our raffle. The raffle is held and who ever wins has to turn a item to "bring back" next month. Our bring back has dwindled down to only 3 items and most of the group seems uninterested. So the current thought is to buy some tools and such to add to the raffle and do away with the bring back program.  Embarrassed 
Question:  How/What do some of the club's y'all attend do? What were some things that did work and some things that didn't work? I'm looking for any and all ideas so don't be bashful.  I'm a little over whelmed at the task but I really hope to make a difference.
Thanks  jimmy c.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Re: Help!!  Ideas, suggestions needed from all!!!
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 5:14pm

Jimmy, we support our club, to some degree, with a wood raffle. Everyone brings a piece of their better wood to the mtg, raffle tickets are sold @ $1.00 each. A drawing is held, etc. The money paid goes to the club.

Other clubs have tried your way and in 100% of the cases interest wained. Why? the "pressure" to turn a piece. Some pieces were very well-turned, others weren't. Therein lies the rub.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 6:12pm

We have a small club, and we do a wood raffle, sometimes with a small tool, like calipers, donated.  Whoever wants to can bring in any piece of wood, and the winners get their choice.  Last month a member brought in a whole bunch of home spalted hackberry and some elm.  Had a pretty good raffle day that day.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 8:01pm

Ever done a 50-50 raffle?  Sell tickets for 1.00 each or 6 for 5.00 and you draw a number and whoever has the winning # gets half of what you collected, the club gets  the other half.  everyone always seems to have a dollar or two and we all could use a few extra bucks.  
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2005 at 8:01pm by Philip Peak »  

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Jimmy Cusic

Just a bit,  a skew!!

Garland Tx, Texas, USA
Garland Tx
Texas
USA

Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 6:29pm

Thanks for the responses.  I think I got my work cut out for me.   Roll Eyes Looks like I need to find a good place to get some tools and wood at low cost, and use these items as a raffle. 
Just trying to think outside the "box". Has anyone ever heard of raffling of time with a seasoned turner or maybe a class to a turning school??  Just trying to come up with ideas...

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Re: Help!!  Ideas, suggestions needed from al
Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 6:50pm

Nope, but you could maybe get all the wood you need (FREE) from some tree trimmers/removers in your area, we do.

IP Logged

texascop47
WR Addict

What happened to that
web page?

Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2005 at 4:40am

Jimmy if you have a woodcraft store in the area or Rocklers you can ask the manager and they will sometimes give a nice piece of wood or tool for the raffle.  They just want there name out there to the other turners.  But I get all my wood free from local tree services in the area.  A lot more than I can ever turn.

keep the bevel rubbing
eeg520  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2005 at 2:06pm

My first club that I used to belong to did it very simply...we passed the hat.  Most members (90% of the 15 or so) would usually throw in $5.  We only had meetings once a month and everyone liked coming to meetings.  It helped that the president, myself and a couple of others usually gave some unusual demos (some of them not exactly for the beginner, and a few of them scary enough to the non-experienced that a path in front of the lathe cleared out of fear of a flying or exploding piece).

We tried wood raffles, but they didn't go very well most of the time because everyone had particular woods they liked to turn.

One activity that went pretty well along these lines though was a charity benefit/auction.  One of the members was the charity guy for a cancer society (maybe it was MS or something else, I don't rightly remember) and he would bring a box of nice squares in.  Everyone who took a piece was asked to turn something really nice and that piece was then donated to the auction benefit for that charity.  The charity kept the money raised and we had the good feeling of knowing we helped.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Boots

Reply #8 - Aug 25th, 2005 at 11:26pm

Hi,
    Two ideas to think about.    

No 1    Your last raffle prize of the evening is wrapped and is a mistery prize, ie you dont know what it is, all the guys are waiting till the last to see what it is but usually it gets taken home without being unwraped, its not brilliant but its a change and keeps interest going.

No 2   You have a last draw of the evening for a cash prize, it has to be for members only and they can only claim the prize if they have been wearing a name badge all night. what you do is calculate your profit after your purchases and then decide the amount of cash you can afford to put up as the prize. you could tell the guys that the more tickets that are sold the bigger the prize or just stick to a set amount each meeting, the fun part is of coarse the members name badges, these all being home made will consist of a number of interesting and humerous ideas, each guy trying to outdo the others in originality. you win on two counts.

Best of luck.

Boots
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2005 at 7:51am by Boots »  
Boots Boots  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #9 - Aug 26th, 2005 at 7:18am

JimmyC,

Our club makes applilcation every year with AAW and usually wins a grant.  We use that grant for several things, but one is to award one of our members scholarship to any teacher or school dealing with turning.  We do many raffles throughout the year to add to the grant, but at the November meeting we raffle loads of prizes, the last of which is the scholarship.  We do have a set amount that we are working for during the rest of the year or we don't do the scholarship.  You and your committee, if you have one, will have to work out the details, but I think it might help, at least with the final raffle of the year.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Jimmy Cusic

Just a bit,  a skew!!

Garland Tx, Texas, USA
Garland Tx
Texas
USA

Reply #10 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 8:54am

Well I get to report this week on my findings.  Big Thanks for the suggestion.  I don't feel quite as empty handed.  Looks like the raffle is the way to go and it's just a matter of putting some different spins  Grin (pun intented) on how to hold them.
Thanks again !!!!

jc

IP Logged

Boots

Reply #11 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 12:40pm

Hi Jimmyc,

Best of luck with what ever you decide to do, Keep us posted on any results you have.

Boots

Boots Boots  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print