Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bad weather in Florida (Read 5,843 times)

Boots

Bad weather in Florida
Aug 25th, 2005 at 11:06pm

Hi Guys,
             Any of you people caught up in the bad weather there.

Saw it on the tele and it looks pretty bad. Keep your heads down.

Boots
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2005 at 11:07pm by Boots »  
Boots Boots  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Re: Bad weather in Florida
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2005 at 7:07am

Gil, looks like it is coming your way.  Better batton down the hatches and take cover. 

Gil and anyone else in the area where the storm is heading, keep us informed so that we know how to pray and if there is anything we can do to help.  Hope all goes well.

Ned and SkyJ, I assume you guys are fine since the storm passed well south of both of you, but let us know.  I know, SkyJ, you are probably getting a good bit of rain.  Keep us informed.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2005 at 7:50am

Thanks, Boots and Rev. Katrina is now out in the Gulf and is back to hurricane strength and worsening. Looking at the latest NOAA forecast>> Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
>>the storm may track about 45 miles west of us, and if Katrina becomes a Cat 2 or stronger hurricane, we may fire up the Suburban and go for a drive "somewhere else". It appears as if SkyJ and Nappen will survive this one, unless it takes a serious right turn very soon.
After the last couple of years of hurricanes and such, Alaska is looking like a real nice place to live.
As far as prayers go, you could ask for some divine intervention, and have Katrina evaporate out in the Gulf.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2005 at 7:51am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2005 at 9:40am

Watch the ground as well as the skies, I hear they expect a bit of flooding in parts of FL.  Worst case, turn a couple of 16" salad bowls for each person and use them as water shoes...  Wink

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2005 at 9:59am

Will 10" watershoes do?  Grin

IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2005 at 6:45pm

Hope everyone in florida got through the storm in good shape, and that Gil is not bothered by it as it heads wherever it is heading.  We came through Miami Thursday afternoon yesterday), connecting from ORD, and didn't get out of there until six p.m..  Ours was the second to last flight out before the airport was closed.  I mean you know you are in trouble when you walk down the ramp and it is rocking back and forth.  Then when you sit down in that 757 and IT is rocking back and forth, you begin to wonder about "divine intervention" to get you up and away, or out of the thing and back into the terminal.  We did get home safe and sound, after an overnight in Cali, and shortly, our nice house up on the hill will be buzzing with the sound of wood shavings flying off a new Elsworth bowl gouge...

Cheers everyone. 

Jim

JIM

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2005 at 7:19pm

Good to hear that you and Momma made it out and home safely, Jim (pardon the 'Momma', I do not know your wife's name).
What is the difference between an Ellsworth bowl gouge, and grinding the ears way back on any other bowl gouge (other than $).

Looks like Bunny and I will be spared the direct wrath of Katrina. Its track is "forecasting" much farther west now than it was this morning. See the latest NOAA chart.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
We are now on the right outer edge of the envelope, as it passes through the far southwest corner of Georgia.
Rev, thanks for getting it moved over some.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2005 at 7:21pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2005 at 7:50pm

God is good!

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2005 at 8:13pm

There you go Gil,  inflating RevDoug's ego just before his big event later tonight.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 6:57am

We may receive a bit of rain from Katrina, but it should not be bad. You folks in LA, MS, AL, AR, MO, TN, KY, OH, IN, (and north GA) are in for some serious rain. I feel for the people in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. New Orleans best oil up those water pumps, ‘cause they have to pump out all that water.
Rev, this would be a good time to see if you could maybe have Katrina beamed to Iran.

Latest NOAA track chart>>
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2005 at 6:58am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Boots

Reply #10 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 11:16am

Hi,
Thanks for all the detail and the web address, it seems more real if that makes sense when I hear your experiences, lets keep our fingers crossed it doesnt do to much damage where ever it goes.

Boots

Boots Boots  
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 3:09pm

Boots, Katrina hit Florida the other day as a Category 1 hurricane and killed 7 people, When Katrina plows into the New Orleans area on Monday, it may be as a Cat 3 or Cat 4 hurricane. That is a very dangerous meat grinder of a storm.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #12 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 8:30pm

I bet the guys and gals in Iraq would like some rain about now.   8)

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #13 - Aug 28th, 2005 at 3:26am

Here in coastal Ga, we have had storms and lots of rain for several weeks. I don't want to think what it would be like here if another came through. I already sink in my yard when I walk.

Currently looks to hit right on the La/Mississippi border. I remember in 85 when the hurricaine (name now escapes me) came through New Orleans area. Hopefully it will not be as bad as we fear.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

texascop47
WR Addict

What happened to that
web page?

Reply #14 - Aug 28th, 2005 at 6:47am

had a small storm hit my place last night   a lot of rain and the power went out for about 8 hours.  Then this morning I started to work and the motor blew in the old lincoln.  Had to get a tow truck to bring me back home and I then took the motorcycle to work and was about 30 minutes late.    I hope everyone is safe and dry and turning a lot of wood.

keep the bevel rubbing
eeg520  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print