Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Moulthrop Finishes (Read 1,748 times)

polaris
Ex Member

Moulthrop Finishes
Aug 30th, 2005 at 4:52am

Can anyone tell me where I can learn how the Moulthrops finish their woodturnings?? I just attended a showing here in Highlands, NC. A lot of Nationally known woodturners and a couple of fantastic local woodturners. All three Moulthrops were represented and I loved their finishes. Any help would be great.....

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Re: Moulthrop Finishes
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 5:45am

First off Polaris, welcome to WR!   A good question right out of the box too.

Ed (the dad, who passed earlier this year I believe) used to soak his pieces in P.E.G. to inhibit cracking/checking.  I believe this method has fallen out of favor in the past few years.  This may have had an effect on the wood surface as he prepared to finish it.  As for his famous finish, here's a quote from an interview he did with the Smithsonian in 2002:

MS. DOUGLAS: Could you talk a little bit about the finish that you put on the pieces? We hadn’t discussed that.

MR. MOULTHROP: Well the finish, I don’t tell people how I do the finish because I spent 20 years designing the finish. I didn’t want to make bowls that required a daily or weekly refinishing by hand with wax or something.

Maybe he shared his secret with his sons, but I couldn't find any specific method on their finishing process.  Maybe someone else will have some more answers for you.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 7:29am

Hello, Polaris, and welcome to the WR forum. Here is a link to Philip Moulthrop's web site where there are also links for Ed and Matt. Good luck finding exact finishes info.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2005 at 7:30am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Glenn
WR Addict

Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 9:02am

Welcome Polaris.
I found this:
"Green turning"--rough-shaping the piece while the wood is still wet--is the Moulthrop's specialty. Then, for two to three months, the piece soaks in polyethylene glycol (PEG), an innovation Ed introduced to wood-turning during the 1950s. Although this prevents cracking, it changes the quality of the wood so that some traditional finishes--oil and wax, for example, cannot be utilized. Aiming to achieve a durable, yet crystal clear finish that reveals the complexities of the wood, Philip refined the high-gloss epoxy-coating process the elder Moulthrop developed.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Not sure this helps much though...

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 1:04pm

One of the companies that many of us frequent, I'm not sure which one it is though, sells a finishing product that they call "Moulthrop's favorite finish."  How true that statement is I couldn't say.  Anyway, for some reason I'm thinking that it was in the Penn State catalog.  You might give it a try and if it is not in Penn State you might look through the other turning catalogs.  Hope something, or someone, here helps.

By the way, welcome to the board.  You're going to love it.     8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

texascop47
WR Addict

What happened to that
web page?

Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 1:38pm

Welcome aboard Polaris I can't add any more than the others have allready inputed.  But it is always nice to have new blood added to this forum.

keep the bevel rubbing
eeg520  
IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 5:54pm

Welcome aboard, Polaris!

I just checked out the website link that Gil provided for Philip Moulthrop. Those are beautiful yet simple pieces of art. But, the prices took my breath away. In the photos it's difficult to tell anything unique about the finish but apparently it gives them substantially more value than a couple coats of deft.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 10:31pm

Very nice peices shown there. The finish is very shiney. I guess that is why they call it a "high gloss epoxy finish"

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print