Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My bracelet project (Read 890 times)

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

My bracelet project
Aug 30th, 2005 at 7:28pm

After seeing the bracelets that Chris made, I decided to give it a try.  To do these, I needed to make the 'soft jaws'  to finish the outside of the bracelets.  Here's a pic of all the hardware I ended up making/buying to do the bracelets

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

On the left are the spacers I used.  I couldn't use a tool or rod like Chris, the blank would rock from side to side and I couldn't even it out, so those spacers went between each jaw.  Next are the soft jaws.  My nova chuck must have closer screw holes, I had to Dremel the base in order to get the exterior screws in.  Next is the long, handled allen wrench.  This is something I should have gotten long ago, its a great little tool, makes changing chuck jaws so much easier.  Last is the hole saw.

So I made four prototypes from some maple, cherry and some 'Ramona' wood I had laying around.  They're posted over in the pic area.  I made two sizes, ID of about 2 3/8", and ID of about 2 5/8".  I took them to the office and got comments on them all.  

Everyone liked the widths and the thickness of them all.  But as for the size,  all I can say is we must raise them big here in the midwest.  The larger size was still to small for 5 out of 6 women at our office.  I'll make some more, and shoot for about 2 7/8 or maybe 3" ID.  

This is a fun project, and they will make great presents when I get the size right, but they do take longer than I expected them to.  I had fun, thanks for the idea Chris.
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2005 at 7:36pm by Rick in Lincoln »  

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Re: My bracelet project
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 8:18pm

Hey Rick, glad you gave it a try...yeah, I guess we've got some string beans out here?!  The first couple do take some time to make, but you'll get faster as you get a process down.
  They look really good.  Paul B. on WOW tried them too and even tried piercing one.  I had wanted to try that, and now that Paul has I am definitely going to!

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 9:53pm

Rick
 I had to go to 2 3/4" to get one my wife could get her hand through.  My first attempts were too small for her and too big for my daughters (but they loved them anyway and claimed them immediately).  I need to serious, get out in the garage and make a bunch of them, I think they might be a big hit.  
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2005 at 2:20am by Philip Peak »  

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Lee Goehring

West Central Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
West Central Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 2:47pm

How tough would it be to make them slightly adjustable?

What I had in mind was to cut through the band at some point, round/sand the resulting ends, and thus allow for a certain amount of flex and expansion. That might work better for some woods than others, depending on thickness and species.

Think it would fly?

A man's home may be his castle, but his woodshop is his sanctuary.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 2:52pm

You'd definitely want to make sure the grain runs the circumference of the bracelet and not perpendicular to it.  Otherwise, every growth ring would be a breaking point when it flexed.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print