Costs (Read 3,765 times)

Tom Stover

Shepherdsville, Ky, Kentucky, USA
Shepherdsville, Ky
Kentucky
USA

Costs
Sep 2nd, 2005 at 7:09am

I live about 15 miles from Choice Woods, a great place to buy exotic wood and tools, and Wood Craft. Due to the cost of gas Cry it is now cheaper to buy off the internet, even from them, and have it shipped to me than it is for me to drive to them. I know I'll still go to these places because I may need something now and can't wait or to just browse and talk Roll Eyes.

Joseph T.(Tom) Stover

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Re: Costs
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 7:41am

What the heck are you driving smoky?  An Abrams tank?  Even in my truck that would only be a $6 round trip...

Sad we hit $3 for regular last night...how is everyone else doing with gas prices?

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Tom Stover

Shepherdsville, Ky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 8:16am

Round trip would be 30 miles,my truck gets about 19 miles but we'll say 20 miles and that is 1.5 gal at 3.30 a gal. for a total of $4.95. Shipping U.S.P.S. priority mail costs a minimum of $3.85.  And gas will go up today.
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2005 at 8:17am by Tom Stover »  

Joseph T.(Tom) Stover

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 8:53am

$3.30? ouch!  I started riding my motorcycle full time (work commute = 30 miles each way) today to alleviate some of the costs.  Fortunately the cruiser gets nearly 50 miles to the gallon, too bad it only holds 4.
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2005 at 8:54am by Chris Wright »  

Three Mutts Customs
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Tom Stover

Shepherdsville, Ky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 10:02am

I should have mentioned that most of the stuff I buy or ship will fit in a flat rate envelope, thats $3.85. I've also been thinking of buying a scooter of some kind. I couldn't haul any logs on the back of it but I could some pen blanks.

Joseph T.(Tom) Stover

IP Logged

texascop47
WR Addict

What happened to that
web page?

Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 11:06am

Gas in Dallas is now around 3.10 and still rising everyday.  I drive 58.3 miles one way or about 116.6 work to driveway.  They were telling be today to expect 3.50 or more by next week.  I might have to rent an apartment close to work if it keeps going up.

keep the bevel rubbing
eeg520  
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 11:29am

Same here, drive a truck (17-18mpg). 31 miles each way.

Gas 3.25

Ah well, too far for a scooter.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Reply #7 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 12:11pm

Isn't it sad when renting an apartment near work is cheaper than driving your car to work?  This is insanity!

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 12:36pm

Middle of the country, 3.19, down from 3.29.  Luckily, I only commute about 25 miles a day and drive a little Toyota two door.  Our company is moving to a new building in the next year, so we'll see where that takes me.
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2005 at 12:36pm by Rick in Lincoln »  

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Tom Stover

Shepherdsville, Ky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #9 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 1:53pm

The gas that was $3.29 this morning is now $2.89, a 40 cent drop. I know several state attorneys general, including Kys, were talking about prosecuting oil companies that were found to be price gouging. Could this price drop just be a coincidence?

Joseph T.(Tom) Stover

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #10 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 2:18pm

In southern Indiana just across the river from Louisville KY at one place it is 3.19 across the street is 3.19.  I drive 23 miles to work oneway so 46 round trip in a van that gets around 21 mpg highway (most of my trip is interstate).  so approx 1 gallon each way and 18 gallon tankYou would think I could go nine days between fillups (wrong!!!)  it is the little side trips and errands you run that kill you.  
  Looking at trading the van in on a VW beetle with a diesal engine (38 city/46 highway) I have friends that have one and the mileage is actually better than the EPA rating.
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2005 at 2:19pm by Philip Peak »  

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #11 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 3:08pm

Lads, I feel lucky now. I paid $2.749 today in Eugene. Down here it's $2.979. Too bad Eugene is 90 miles N. Our caravan gets 25 mpg so I'll not be driving much. My little van is "sick" so it's mpg is in the tubes. It's time to get the tools out.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Reply #12 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 3:33pm

That big of a drop is very interesting and I bet very welcome!  Let's hope they keep it that way.  It could also be an effect of Bush opening the magic valve of the Fed's oil reserve...who really knows how this stuff works anyway?

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 3:33pm

Have not been to town (23 miles), but the little country fuel stop near us is $2.99/gal.for any grade of fuel, and that is only because the old style pumps do not go any higher than $2.99/gal. Seems to me that if 10-13 % of our domestic refining capacity is shut down, why are we seeing 20 to 50 % price increases?
Also, do you want your tax dollars spent rebuilding New Orleans in that below sea level place, so this mess can happen again? NO. Move the city to higher ground.

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #14 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 5:01pm

Here in Utah, most gas is hovering at the $3 range. But what I don't get is our crude oil comes from southwest Wyoming and eastern Utah via pipeline to refineries in Salt Lake City and on to the local pumps without ever having any contact with anything to do with Hurricane Katrina and still it jumped 70 cents in two days. I may not be the best turner when it comes to using a gouge but I know when I'm being gouged!

And Gil, I agree 100% with what you say about the ridiculous notion of rebuilding N.O. just to have this repeat itself some day. But with the faith I have in Government and Politics anymore I know it'll happen anyway.

As far as whether to shop the store or shop online, I guess I still have a little bit of "little kid" in me. I buy online because I still get a kick out of getting a package in the mail.
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2005 at 5:02pm by Curt Fuller »  

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print