Send Topic Print
Costs (Read 5,664 times)

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Re: Costs
Reply #15 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 5:20pm

Sadly, we still have about the cheapest gas in the world.

New Orleans...I am sure it will go right back where it was. Historical and all. I loved the city when Iwas there and am heartbroken at its loss and those who I have still not made contact with.  I am not sure where it would go, there isn't much higher ground around.

I thought briefly about trading in the truck, but figured that even if I save 100bucks a month, it would take 10 years to make up the first 12k of a new car, so wasn't worth trading in my paid for truck. Besides, I just went of 100k miles.

Yes, I still love getting mail.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #16 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 6:28pm

Gil, re:  your comment about the fact that some 10 to 13% less gas is coming out of the refineries and why is it that the prices are increasing (if I understood you correctly).  Isn't it a question of supply and demand?  If the supply diminishes and the demand either stays the same or increases, what happens? 

Regular, unleaded gasoline here goes currently for 5,990/gallon.  The dollar is at 2.300 pesos, give or take.  You do the math.  It ain't pretty. 

The city that care forgot will be rebuilt right where it is, but it will take decades, not years.  Had the levees not been breached, things would be much better there, relatively speaking.    What a disaster!!!  What will all of those people survive on?  What about the schools?  Where will the children be educated?  In Dallas and Houston?  What about the four universities that are (were) there?  What about those students; faculty, etc.  I suppose that everyone thinks in terms of their own reality, past and present (we lived there in the seventies; I taught at Tulane).  Its just too big to swallow, even in a series of thoughts. 

RIP New Orleans.

Jim

JIM

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #17 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 6:55pm

KID, attended in the 80's. 

That looks like 2.60/gallon US, about what it was running here.

When I was in Europe in 99-02 it was over 4/gallon, I am sure it is much more now.
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2005 at 6:58pm by Ned A from South GA »  

IP Logged

Keith_Bundy

Ky. turner

Reply #18 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 6:58pm

Smokey - I was thinking the same as you. Gas here in N. Ky. was $3.09 yesterday and some stations dropped to $2.89 today. I have heard that we may be paying that price until at least the first of the year and that it is possible yet that gas could go as high as $4.00 before then. It has been reported here that natural gas for home heating is going up 30% because of the hurricane.

Kid - Xavier Universtiy here in Cincinnati announced today that they admit students from schools shut down by Katrina. Yes your are right, they will rebuild right where they are. I remember seeing a television show about New Orleans, Venice Italy, and another place I can't rember that talked about how to avoid the very problems being expierenced now. Maybe they will be pushed to solve those problems now. My question is who would foot the bill.

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #19 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 7:02pm

Is Xavier taking the Xavier (of New Orleans) students only or all students?

I am sure there will be many schools willing to take the displaced college students.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #20 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 7:35pm

Both Arizona State and Univ of Arizona have opened their doors to anyone who had accepted enrollment at any NO closed Univ.  If they were paying LA state residence rates, they get AZ resident rate.   They have also passed an invitation to professors to come until NO univ's reopen. 

Monday I went past the local cheapie station gas was $2.50, Tuesday I filled my Expedition at $2.65, Wed it had gone to $2.85, Thur $3.00, Today $3.20.  This is Phoenix, and we get no gas from the Gulf.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 7:49pm

Jim,
First, I still think that New Orleans should not be rebuilt in that hole, and darn sure not with Federal tax dollars footing the bill. If Louisiana wants to pay for it, fine.
The refineries that were shut down by the storm do not serve the whole USA. That is why we have refineries in the east, west, and south. If the supply in the south is less, S&D will call for higher prices there, but the supply is not necessarily lower in the west and northeast (though the price of fuel is up there nevertheless). Also, people have created their own supply problem by rushing out and buying fuel (and too much of it) when they did not actually need it. The liberal media has definitely not helped any of these problems when their reporting methods tend to wind up certain easily excited people. I am going to step down from my stump now, before I fall off.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #22 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 10:32pm

Don't do that, I agree with you.  I went for pizza earlier, and there was a guy with an SUV bulling a 6X8 trailer with about 30 shiny new 5 gallon gas cans in it, just pumping away at $3.20.  Raise the demand and you raise the price.  And those cans aren't cheap.  Gonna be funny if the price starts going down after the holiday.

Thank goodness I am not working much right now, and the offices are all within 6 miles of the house.  I work Jan 1 - Apr 15 full time plus, take a couple of months off.  The end of June I start teaching occasional tax classes part time till the end of the year.  I start 2 different 6 week classes next week, each 3 hours 1 day a week, and about 1-2 hours prep time.  Not bad work.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #23 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 11:25pm

Yikes, that's almost 500 bucks in gas.

IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #24 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 5:49am

Jim Q, thanks for the great news re:  Arizona State and University of Arizona taking in students from the Gulf Coast and faculty as well.  Wow, such largesse!  U. of A. is one of my schools, and its a good one. 

Gil, your criticism of the liberal press leads me to believe that you might be just a tad conservative.  Could that be true??? (just kidding old friend). And I'm glad Miss Katrina didn't pay y'all a visit. 

The gas prices are up all over the U.S. for the same reason that they rise immediately after the announcement that the crude oil price has risen.  Any excuse to make a few more cents/gallon. 

As for the price of gas here, sure, it is somewhat lower than in the U.S., but we need to remember that this is not a dollar economy but rather a peso one.  The minimum wage here is 350,000 pesos/month.  At 2,300/dollar (hold everything, where's my calculator), that's around 153.00 and change/month.  Granted, not many people working for the minimum wage drive much, but at least it gives one an idea of the relative difference between economies.

JIM

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #25 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 5:52am

Never climb off that stump Gil! It's folks like you with sensible insight that we need in our world today. Although I agree with those that say N.O. and the surrounding areas will be and need to be rebuilt, there are huge lessons to be learned from this disaster. The first being that it will eventually happen again. From what I understand, many coastal areas in the southeast are virtually uninsurable since the rash of severe hurricanes in recent years. That's the common sense of the dollar telling us it isn't wise. Second, we need to heed the advice of our nations highly educated scientists and start paying attention to the changes we're creating in our environment. When push comes to shove with mother nature, we lose. We're going to see more of these natural disasters. No matter how much money we have we can't fool mother nature.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Tom Stover

Shepherdsville, Ky, Kentucky, USA
Shepherdsville, Ky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #26 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 6:41am

When I was a kid and worked in service stations, full service, we didn't change prices until after a truck dumped a load of gas in our tanks. If the price went up we changed the sign first and than the pumps because the pumps couldn't be higher than the sign said. If the price went down we changed the pumps first. Now the prices are changed with a phone call because someone on a drilling rig sneezed and may miss a day of work.

Joseph T.(Tom) Stover

IP Logged

texascop47
WR Addict

What happened to that
web page?

Reply #27 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 7:41am

Gas is still jacked up here but I hope it will go down also.  I hate paying over 3.00 a gallon for gas but last month I was saying the same about 2.00 and would love to see 2.00 again.
We have bus loads of NO displaced coming into the city and it is starting to get wild.  Had a lot of arrest last night and it hasn't been any better this morning so far. Enough of my soap box and back to the streets my officers are out on 2 more arrest.

keep the bevel rubbing
eeg520  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #28 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 7:45am

Our gas came down $.20 yesterday.  Still 3.17/gal.  Hope that it comes on down.  I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to pay for the gas for the relief trip I'm taking next week.  Keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #29 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 4:15pm

Kid, well taken. Most of the world pays more and makes less. I feel lucky every day, believe me.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print