Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Beaver Lathe (Read 1,879 times)

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Beaver Lathe
Sep 4th, 2005 at 8:53am

I'm looking seriously at this new lathe. Any opinions, advice, or warnings?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Re: Beaver Lathe
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 12:56pm

I've seen only one Beaver lathe and I wasn't that impressed. The head stock is fixed, the motor is in the way for outboard turning, and the stand is very light-weight.

As it's been said many times/many ways, the best value for $ spent is the PM 3520a (perhaps the "b" model will be better?) even if you have to spend "X" $ getting 220VAc to the shop.

Rule #1: Never "under buy" always "over buy." Sometime in the future (1-3 yrs) you'll be happy you spent a bit more because the prices have gone up and you're a better turner turning bigger and better things.

I know the above to be fact because I "under bought."
Such is life with a "fixed" income.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 9:30am

Curt, Bud is right.  For just a little more money you could get a Jet 1642.  That's what I did, and I still think I may have under bought.  It's a great lathe, but still the 'poor cousin' of the PM 3520.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

georgetroy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 5:18pm

As the owner of 3 Vicmarc lathes. The VL300, 175, and the VL100 I feel the brand has been comprised.  I do not use Taiwan or China made lathes under anybodies name.  If there was a need for a 12" .Vicmarc could have very well filled it from  their present line and type of machines.  My next lathe will be a Robust lathe made in America by Brent English who I know personally.  For an upper end machine consider the ones he makes. GT

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 6:03pm

Well GT, I hope you enjoy your new lathe. It is a bit pricey, but good for our economy. I think that I would design and build my own before paying that much for a woodlathe.

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 6:31pm

Hello George, nice to see you on the forum.  If/when  you get your Robust, be sure to share some pics with us and give us your user report.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 9:21pm

Welcome, George, new members are always welcome.

I agree with you, both the Vicmarc (the next best bang for your buck) and the Robust lathe are very well-made machines. If fact I've e-mailed B.E. about his machine & other things. Brent has put a lot of design time into his machine and it shows.

Read the thread here "new lathe..."

There's also another lathe, the Serious Lathe, now made in Medford, OR (moved S. from Portland). It's also a very well-made machine.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register; It's about $5,300.00.

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 10:07pm

I sort of agree, but if not for that chinese made machine I have I would never have gotten into woodturning.  It does a fine job for me.  Some people can just NOT afford that much money for living much less for a big machine that spins some wood around.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #8 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 12:05am

For myself, anything over $2500 is way too much for a lathe.  Just a matter of opinion.  As a very satisfied PM3520 owner, I can turn just about anything on it that could be turned on the over $3000 lathes, Yes even 40" diameter platters if I were so inclined, I would simply build a sturdy floor mounted tool rest.  Most (meaning about 80-90%) of the woodturners out there don't need and probably will never use anything the PM doesn't offer, so why spend $3000 you don't need to?

As for the beaver lathe, it looks a bit over priced for what you get out of it.  Although, I do like the 220v & VS option in that price range.  Isn't the Jet 1642 about the same price with 220v VS but with 4" additonal swing and sturdier legs?

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

georgetroy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 12:25pm

More lathe advise. Here is part of what I posted on Woodcentral. You almost need deep pockets for this hobby or profession> I would start  on the Nova DVR and be done with it. 16" swing, variable speed, 115 volts, 1 1/4 x 8 thread, Swivel head, can add on bed sections, fits in small space. Can set on top of bench, or make one for it. Outboard turning capacity. 5 year warranty. Spend about $2000.00 for one. Don't forget all the tools. As an occasional instructor and mentor, it's hard enough to teach someone, but when you have to fight a starter lathe, it makes the job so much tougher. Don't forget the cost of tools and supplies, etc. I know this is not what you wanted to here. Several sources for the DVR, a close one back east is Packard Woodworks. I also have a DVR in my stable. It is now 3 years old and performs well. GT

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #10 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 1:36pm

Hey GT, doesn't the speed range on the DVR start at 450 though?

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

georgetroy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 5:45pm

My DVR #285. We ordered a new one for my Turner friend who has deep pockets. All sources are sold out in the USA until new week. Another point the machine has 1 3/4 hp. OK my machine goes down to 250 rpm. The new ones go down to 100 rpm or less.  GT   

I posted two photos of DVR here.

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #12 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 6:15pm

GT, I suspected that you were a rather accomplished turner; I was most correct. Your web site and your turnings are first rate. I have neither the skills nor the tools to accomplish such turnings.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print