Send Topic Print
Dies and colors (Read 1,553 times)

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Dies and colors
Sep 4th, 2005 at 5:58pm

Im working on a cookie jar with 5 american flags on it. I used bloodwood and maple for the stripes and thought for the blue section I could soak cypress (pretty absorbant wood) in blue printer ink diluted with water for a few days. Neverless, it didnt soak it in far enought. What kinda paint or die could I use that wont bleed into the other woods?? I will be posting  a pic in the gallery.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Re: Dies and colors
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 6:59pm

I think you are on the right track with paint.  You can control it pretty well.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 7:47pm

How about the PrismaColor markers?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 8:07pm

I agree the prismacolor markers would be the ticket. Check out Chris Wright's work here and on his web site. He's been able to get some very deep, bright colors with great detail.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 8:25pm

Anything you use that could color the wood will probably bleed somewhat.  Notice on my work I use burned lines to control the bleed.  One thing you can do is use a resist like wax or oil on the pieces you don't want to color.  Coat the piece with wax and it will resist the bleed from the color, especially with alcohol based stains like the prismacolor markers.  If you check out my "Collage" Series pieces, both of those use prismacolor markers.  My "Primaries" series pieces use Chestnut Spirit Stains, which are also alcohol based.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 4:23am

Thanks all,
  I think Ill give that a try.

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 4:29am

I looked at the jar, very nice, what are the dimensions, and is that oak for the rest of the jar?

I may have to "borrow" that design.

Do you ever get up Savannah way?

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 4:46am

The wood is wormy chestnut which Im not to thrilled about, but I figgered Id use a "American" wood as opposed to exotics. I dont know the dimensions yet  hehe. about 9" tall 7 1/2" dia.  I used woodturnerpro to lay it out but changed things dramatically once I started. It didnt come out to the shape I originally planned, mainly because the chestnut was only 5/8 thick to start. That really limited my shape due to thinning walls.
   I dont travel to often, and if I do, it's for work. If you get down here to Orlando tho , you are more than welcome to come by and visit or crash for a few if ya need a place.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print