Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Serious help for a rookie.. (Read 3,431 times)

junior
Ex Member

Re: Serious help for a rookie..
Reply #15 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 6:28pm

As I understand it, once you buy all the equipment, it is a relatively inexpensive hobby to maintain. We are just grown up little boys, so now the toys are expensive.

I can tell i am going to spend alot of time around this board, so i guess i will start with my story as to why i want to turn wood.

About three months ago, my 17 year old daughter was diagnosed with brain cancer. She had to have brain surgery to remove a HUGE tumor, and cyst, and is now going through chemo and radiation therapy, for the next year.

I have always worked with my hands, and since my daughters battle began, i havent really been able to work, so i am going crazy.

also due to current circumstances, i have to give up several hobbies and stay close to home, like in the back yard. As i "liquidate" my old, more expensive hobbies, i can get more turning equipment.

I LOVE chess. i was looking at chess sets on the internet and happened across a site with plans to make your own chess set on a wood lathe. the monster was born.

since then, i have also realized i could make pool cues, and baseball bats (among other things).

I am anxious to get started because i REALLY wanted to give a family member at least one chess piece that i made for christmas.

Once again, you guys have blown me away with your willingness to lend a helping hand!! since finding this forum, i have gone from blindly bidding on lathes at ebay (luckily not winning) to actually beginning to assemble a game plan! I will start with getting with a local club, and maybe attending a meeting...

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #16 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 8:23pm

Junior, I sorta, kinda know what kinda load you're carryin'. My wife had surgery just over a year ago for both uterine & ovarian cancer. Her last chemo bout was the end of last year. It's not a good thing to see a beloved one on the "chemo roller-coaster." The chemo'd hit her kinda hard and then, just when she was feelin' better, they'd pump another pint or so of poison into her.

I believe that turning kept what little sanity I have in tact through her physical ordeal and my mental ordeal. It's akin to a balm for the ragged soul.

Now go give your daughter a big hug and tell that my wife says, "This too shall pass."

Blessings upon you and your family.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #17 - Sep 9th, 2005 at 7:19pm

Who said "crappy harbor freight lathe"??  Thats what I got!!!  I'm hurt!  heheh.
 Sumday...................sumday  i'll get a PM
    Me and my family's prayers are with you too Jr. I too have been hit with unfavorable diagnosis on me and my 15 year old daughter. defenatley life changing stuff fixin to go on!!
I hope the best for you and yours.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2005 at 7:28pm by Jeff Matter »  

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #18 - Sep 9th, 2005 at 7:29pm

Sky, I also have a HF lathe (not to mention bandsaw, drillpress, turning tools, and moisture meter.) The lathe I have is no longer available from HF, therefore neither are parts. If it breaks...

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #19 - Sep 9th, 2005 at 7:33pm

I don't care what anyone says about HF variable speed swivel head lathe.  It's a good lathe imho and with just a little tweaking it turns well.  It's a wonderful option for those of us who are lacking monetarily...hehe, but I too hope to own a larger more capable machine one day.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2005 at 7:33pm by Negeltu »  
Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Sep 9th, 2005 at 11:46pm

tweaking? like what kinda tweaking?? i am going to get one of these things ASAP... is there anything i should know before i knock my teeth out with a loose screw or something??

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #21 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 12:25am

lol...well some of them you need to deburr the inside of the pulley wheels otherwise the belt wil wear down very quickly.  Just take some 500grit sand paper and lightly sand down any parts inside the wheel that feel sharp.  You won't need to change a belt for a very long time.

That's all I had to do with mine.  Keep it clean inside and lubed and it will run smoothly.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #22 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 5:03am

Bud,
you may be able to find parts at littlemachineshop.com. they carry all parts for HB tools. They may not show any parts on the site  but just ask them, they may be able to help ya.

IP Logged

Glenn
WR Addict

Reply #23 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 5:45am

Glad we could help Junior.  Wood turners are usually a friendly bunch and are eager to help others.

God Bless your daughter.  Our prayers are with her.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print