Its Chris' fault (Read 2,176 times)

Tom Stover

Shepherdsville, Ky, Kentucky, USA
Shepherdsville, Ky
Kentucky
USA

Its Chris' fault
Sep 8th, 2005 at 5:26am

This morning I was rounding a block of wood on the band saw when my hand slipped and got real personal with the blade Shocked. My thumb has a couple of real good slices in it. A little alcohol, on the cuts not in me Tongue, and some Ca glue and the bleeding almost stopped. I was going to make some wooden jaws for my Talon because I wanted to make some bracelets and bangles. Now, if Chris hadn't posted pictures of such nice bracelets I wouldn't have been making this chuck, soooo its Chris' fault Wink that I got careless and did something stupid Embarrassed.

Joseph T.(Tom) Stover

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Re: Its Chris' fault
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 5:32am

Tom, sorry to hear that, sure you shouldn't see a doc about possible stitches? 

Of all my shop tools, the band saw scares me the most, and I've lopped off a bit of my thumb on the table saw  Shocked

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 7:42am

Hey Tom, that (edited out), been there done that once too.  It will only happen once more than likely...you'll remember and probably not do it again, so it may be my fault, but I also taught you to pay attention to hand position on the bandsaw...a valuable lesson to be sure.  Don't worry about payment, the first lesson is free.  Wink  Tongue

Glad to hear it wasn't more serious!

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Keith_Bundy

Ky. turner

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 12:44pm

Hey Smokey - Sounds like you got lucky. My close encounter with my bandsaw earned me seven stitches in the thumb and I barely touched the blade.

IP Logged

Tom Stover

Shepherdsville, Ky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 2:58pm

I have always considered the band saw the least dangerous saw that I own and didn't give it the respect it deserves. On all my other saws I use push sticks and guards and a lot of caution. I will treat the band saw with respect from now on. I probably need a couple of stitches but my male stubborness kicked in.
Chris, it may be a few days but I will get those chuck jaws made.

Joseph T.(Tom) Stover

IP Logged

texascop47
WR Addict

What happened to that
web page?

Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 3:16pm

Glad you didn't loose anything important and hope you didn't mess up a good piece of wood.  Hope it is a short term injury and you get those jaws made and we can see some nice bracelets.   Maybe even a corn cob one.  Think you are up to that?

keep the bevel rubbing
eeg520  
IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 5:06pm

The bandsaw makes me feel shakey when I approach it.  I have yet to incur any serious injuries in the shop.  Worst that's happened to me is a little slice from sanding a bowl rim that had a sharp knot in it.  Hope it heals quickly.  Smiley

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 7:47pm

It must be slice and dice month. Yesterday I was using a scraper made from a triangular file with "scary sharp" edges and had a small catch that drove one edge into my right thumb pad. I would have used a butterfly closure, but it did not want to stop bleeding, so off to my Doc. He said it was pretty deep, and one inch long, so he used superglue instead of sutures. I may get a tube of that Derma Bond CA. Some days are worse than others.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #8 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 8:11pm

Super glue wouldn't have helped me.  While we are on the subject of stupid moves, 7 years ago I got 2 fingers on my right hand almost cut off on my table saw.(Yes, I am right handed.)  The middle finger was cut through the fingernail, and the ring finger was through the first knuckle.  They operated on them several times over the next 10 weeks, and therapy for about 6 months.  And it screwed the heck out of my typing speed.

The doctor said that I was fortunate in that the cut was from the back, since the nerve for the fingertip goes right up the palm side of the finger.  The middle finger they just pushed the end down and let the bone heal 1/8" short.  The ring finger took bone grafting since it was the joint that was damaged. 

I still use it, just more carefully.  Matter of fact I need to cut some plywood tomorrow morning.

Safe turning!

JimQ

« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2005 at 8:12pm by JimQuarles »  

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2005 at 4:33am

We all have stories to tell don't we.  I had an incident last night and, it was while I was making a bracelet so, I guess it is also Chris's fault.  I was trying to hollow out the center of a piece of walnut using my 1/2" bowl gouge and got a catch that caused the bowl gouge to go in a sharp circle.  It was so fast that the hand holding it didn't move with it and when the circle was complete the gouge smacked down on top of one of my fingers (left index)smashing it between the gouge and the tool rest, so now it is swollen to about twice it's normal size between my knuckle and middle finger joint.
 Hey Ned
 Your an MD, is there a medical name for the middle finger joint?  
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2005 at 4:34am by Philip Peak »  

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Tom Stover

Shepherdsville, Ky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #10 - Sep 9th, 2005 at 5:38am

I guess we are all a little careless sometimes and should be glad we haven't been hurt worse than we have. A friend of mine lost two and a half fingers to a table saw. Jim I'm glad you still have most of your finger. I have always thought the table saw was the most dangerous tool I use.
 TC if the Texas corn cobs are big enough to make bracelets send me some, I'll try almost anything once Grin.

Philip, sent you a message.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2005 at 5:52am by Tom Stover »  

Joseph T.(Tom) Stover

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #11 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 3:50am

Hey all from Nova Scotia. Only two days left on my vacation Cry

Phil, it is the proximal interphalangeal joint...PIP for short the far joint is the distal...or DIP.

Being ER, I have seen any number of injuries, mostly from not using push sticks on the table saw, but I have seen them from every tool.  I hope I didn't jinx myself.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

tejaswood

WWW.TEJASWOOD.C OM

Reply #12 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 3:28pm

My Turn, about three years ago I was turning a 14" natural edge platter. I had a Jet 1236 back then so I had to turn the headstock sideways so it would fit. The platter had a nice little hook on one side of it and when I reached under the lathe to turn it off, the hook caught my thumb. Dang near tore it off. Well needless to say, between the ER, hand specalist, etc I pretty much blew all of the profits I made that year. ( My first year turning full time ). Fortunatly I had a very good surgeon and I have 100% usage of my thumb.. One very scary and expensive lesson.

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #13 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 5:30pm

Well, I can't match woodworking accidents but I do have a wife with an unsympathetic streak like stitchin girl. I once had a roto-tiller that had a lever that lifted up for forward, pushed down for reverse. Once while backing up I got against the fence and when I released the lever it caught in my crotch and the tiller in reverse pinned me against the fence, the tiller still digging away and trying to get my feet. What did my loving wife do do help? She got out the video camera and had the whole neighborhood come to get a good laugh before finally reaching down to ground the spark plug. And they wonder why dogs were voted as mans best friend.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 6:09pm

Geesh  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print