Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
preparing wood??? (Read 576 times)

chris
WR Noob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

preparing wood???
Sep 8th, 2005 at 12:14pm

Newbie needs some more help....I just recieved a very nice piece of crab apple.  It just came down this morning and the local tree expert called me up.  It is about 20" long and 12-14" in diameter.  It also has some very nice spalting going on.  I sealed both ends with rocklers green wood sealer.  What now?  I would like to try and turn my first bowl with this wood.  As I am going out of town tomorrow, and won't return to next Thursday, will I still be ok.  Can I cut it up when I return and rough turn some bowls then?  Will it still be considered green?  I know these are very simple questions but I have not had time to prepare.   This hunk of wood was a complete surprise.  I know I should get some instructional videos, but like I said this piece of wood came suddenly and I don't want to waste it. 

Another thought.......This local tree expert is a good friend of mine and he is going to be giving me more wood than I will be able to handle.  If anyone is interested in a trade, I would gladly trade some wood for the temporary use of a bowl turning DVD.  (of course you can keep the wood forever)  Just an idea.....

chris

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Re: preparing wood???
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 12:46pm

Chris, congrats on the crab apple.  Got some myself a while ago, it sure is pretty.

I'd throw another coat of sealer on the ends, that should hold you till you get back.  Maybe throw the whole thing in a plastic trash bag.  Then I'd do as you say, cut it up and rough out some bowls.  The wood is green till it dries  Grin  With the rough outs, since it's a fruit wood and  prone to checking, I would coat the rough outs with sealer and store them in a paper sack in a cool dry place for 6-12 months.  Put a date and the wood type on the bag or you'll forget what you have.
I throw in a bunch of the shavings in along with the rough out.

There's another method that I use, the Denatured Alchohol treatment, but that discussion can wait for another thread.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Re: preparing wood???
Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 1:33pm

I agree, make sure the ends are waxed well and then toss it in a plastic garbage bag.  It will keep nicely that way for a few weeks.  After that mold can start to grow or the bark can separate.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print