Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
lotsa questions. (Read 1,890 times)

junior
Ex Member

Re: lotsa questions.
Reply #15 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 6:45pm

my local club meeting is tomorrow night... unfortunately not enough advance notice for me to make it, but this weekend thing!!! i think i can make that!!! it would be a good weekend trip for me and my son!!

I will be there Saturday morning, and will stay till sunday around noon. I will be easy to spot, i will be the confused guy wearing the O.S.U. visor.

I am also talking to someone (dont wanna say who yet) about purchasing a used Jet 1236 (or at least i think thats the numbers)!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 6:47pm

WHOA... this thing cost alot of money to attend... maybe i wont be makin it after all... i mean all i wanna do is watch.. why does it cost so much?

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 7:43pm

Yep, Junior, symposiums sure are costly, and I would love to go to a 'good' symposium too. Since I started turning (July 2004) folks have been telling me "GO GO GO you will learn a lot there". By the time I figure in  travel / food / lodging / registration, and some tiny bit of spending money it is usually between $450 and $1000. In my not so humble opinion, that is too much. I can read books and watch videos (free at our Library and club), buy wood and tools, and practice turning the pieces I have read about for a lot less (or have lots of nice new tools).
Hey, I am not saying not to "GO GO GO", if you can afford it. No doubt it would be great, and I hope you can attend one soon. Taking your Wife and/or Son, if they really want to go, would be even better. Bunny will probably figure out a way to get me to attend one someday. I am not holding my breath.

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 8:04pm

lol, yeah maybe one day. I dont even have a lathe yet, so i can see at least one place this cash could go!!!!!

IP Logged

Jimmy Cusic

Just a bit,  a skew!!

Garland Tx, Texas, USA
Garland Tx
Texas
USA

Reply #19 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 4:33am

Hi junior…  I know $75 does seem like a lot.  I can tell you for a fact the swat organization (which is made up of surrounding club members) is non profit. I sat in on one of their board meeting last fall.  Of the monies collected the sum left after operating cost went to the clubs in several forms. Some went to new clubs helping them to get started, some went to individuals as scholarships to advance their skills, and  6 clubs received $600 worth of video equipment (think what Chris could do with that…). All totaled somewhere between $10and $12,000 was returned back out to clubs. So yeah I know $75 is a lot but compared to the AAW symposium $300,  $75 is cheap.  I think there is a show in Arizona sometime this year, its $150. 
Last year was my first time. It’s fun to have so many TALENTED turners under one roof, plus venders will be showing their wares and you can compare prices and talk to folks to find which tools work and which don’t.  Plus you get to look at different types of wood. There are some darn nice wood that don’t grow in Texas or Oklahoma. Go look at the bowl I just finished. It’s an Afzelia burl. You won’t find that in Texas, comes from places in Africa. I picked that up last year at swat.  Kids are free this year

On another note…  I have a jet 1236. It has worked fine for me the past year. Got it new. For a beginner lathe it fits the bill, but some day I hope to move to a Powermatic.  My slow speed is the level push all the way down with a bungee cord holding it. It’s slow enough for me to apply the CA glue as a finish for my pens.  The one draw back is the motor stick out so if you have a shallow faceplate you can not get the clearance needed it you turn something 8-12”. If you use a chuck or a faceplate that has an inch or two (depth) then you would be ok. This is not a problem it’s just something to be aware of.  Any way  Good luck.  If you decide to go give me a shout and maybe we can hook up.  (Sorry didn’t mean to get so wordy)…

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Reply #20 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 7:42am

I'd say get your feet wet first before plunging into an expensive symposium.  The main reason is that the demos are usually limited to 1 hour and tend to go very fast.  The involved ones don't allow enough time to ask in depth questions, so for a beginner it could potentially be confusing (and possibly dangerous) because you go and see all of these cool things turned and then later try them without thr proper, necessary basic techniques mastered.  Your local clubs will have much longer demos on the same topics over time and more than likely some of the SWAT demonstrators will be local club members you'll see demo throughout the year anyway.  Save the $75 for tools, learn them well and then go see the cool fun stuff.  I waited 6 months to go to my first symposium, which luckily was AAW Pasadena and I am glad I did.  By the time it came around, I was comfortable enough with my tools to go home and try some of the things I had seen.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 6:37pm

no bout a doubt it!!! oh wait, that backwards...

no doubt about it!!! there we go...

yeah, i am looking into a used Jet 1236, plus some cool chucks.. dont really know how they work, what the names mean, or anything else, but i am excited none the less!!!

and i do think i will save the $75 bucks for a couple of hand tools after i get a lathe!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print