Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How I would outfit a basic turning shop (Read 700 times)

Roger Turnbough
WR Supporter

Yanno, like in the Jetson's

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Chicago
Illinois
USA

How I would outfit a basic turning shop
Sep 10th, 2005 at 4:05am

Morning all,

Still to early here to be out on the golf course, so thought I would post up something that I think will help new turners get into this game with out spending a fortune on unneeded tools right off the start.

IMHO, probably the most important thing you can invest in for the turning shop is some kind of sharpening jig, be it the Elsworth, Wolverine, or any of the homebrew models.  Couple that with either a slow speed grinder, or high speed grinder and your tool edges will be sharp, and repeatable in just seconds.

A luxury item in the turning shop would be a Bandsaw.  If you dont have one, an electric chainsaw, old style buck saw, hatchet or anything that can whittle down a piece of wood from square to semi-round is acceptable.

Another what I deem  luxury items are inside and outside toolrests for bowls.  While not a neccessity these will make your turning so much more enjoyable.

As long as I am talking about luxury items lets cover Scroll Chucks.  There are many options in this category.  From the Grizzly chucks, (which have recieved positive reviews) The Nova Family of chucks, The Oneway family, The Axeminster chucks, and the Vicmarks.  All of these are very good products.  Plan on spending Anywhere from $150-350 for one of these with a set or two of jaws.

And now down to the brass tacks part:  Tooling

I have seen many suggest a set of tools, but have also read that buying a set leaves you with tools that you will not use.  So sticking with the latter, here is what "I" think should be a basic set of lathe tools.

A 3/8" and or 1/2" bowl gouge ground in an Elsworth grind.
A 1/4" or 3/8" detail or spindle gouge.
A 3/4" Flat skew, radiused on the bottom edge, ground Allan Lacer style.
A Diamond shaped parting tool.
A 3/8" thick, either radiused or flat scraper  (IMHO, radiused takes preference here)  1" or 1 1/4" wide.

Almost forgot about finishing the pieces we have so diligently been producing here.  Sand Paper.  Starting at around 60 or 80 grit, and going to at least 400 grit.  This will allow you to achieve an acceptable finish on most pieces.  I like power sanding using my 1/2" drill.  And as such, have a 2" and 3" sanding pads.  With the appropriate grits for each.

I believe with this basic set of tooling, you will be able to achieve about 90% of your turning needs.  Going into semi open forms, hollow forms and the like is another completely different animal in its own respect.  And opens up yet another deep pit into which you will be able to drop a lot of your hard earned cash.

I encourage all of you to add to this list.  When the thread has pretty much wound down, we can compile it into a short essay on the basics and maybe point some of our beginning turners to it.

Thanks for listening to me ramble on.

Roger
South of Chicago

« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2005 at 4:06am by Roger Turnbough »  

Rastro
Northern Illinois
Mentor
Please send a PM for more information
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Re: How I would outfit a basic turning shop
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 10:05am

How about a roughing gouge? Grin

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 1:06pm

Hey Roger South of Chicago, seems like a pretty good list except for one thing...  You forgot the lathe...  You might also add a round scraper.  The rest looks pretty good for starters. 

Where "south of Chicago"?  Calumet City?, Gary, Harvey?  No need to answer if you don't want to. 

Cheers,

Jim

JIM

IP Logged

Roger Turnbough
WR Supporter

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Chicago
Illinois
USA

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 1:08pm

Hey Jim,

I live in New Lenox, just east of Joliet.  Been here my whole life, though it sure dont look the same as it used to when I was a youngster.

Roger

Rastro
Northern Illinois
Mentor
IP Logged

Roger Turnbough
WR Supporter

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Chicago
Illinois
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 1:15pm

Jim asks about lathes,

Well,  I didnt include lathes on purpose.  That is just way to subjective with way to many variables.  Best rule of thumb that I have heard is buy the best lathe you can afford.  Some great turners make do with a mini, some must have a 16" swing, and there are some who prefer to have a monster like a One Way or VB.  To each his own.  But I will say one thing that I have found since I have ventured into woodworking in general.  You get what you pay for.  Its generally not a very good experience to throw good money after bad or poor equipment.  Especially if you really get hooked and end up upgrading into a big machine in a short time.

This is all just my humble opinion on this.  Your mileage may vary.

Tongue

Roger
South of Chicago 

Rastro
Northern Illinois
Mentor
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print