Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
when is the next... (Read 4,617 times)

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Re: when is the next...
Reply #15 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 3:24pm

Don't back off Ned, that's a great idea!  Let's see if Chris takes it up, and if so, what limits he places on the project. 

Added detail.  Everybody knows that when you complete a successful turning, the next copy is easier, and the one after even more so.  Xmas is coming.  How about thinking in terms of making five of whatever toy one might decide to make, then instead of a trade, give them to needy children, or trade one and give the rest to the children.  Maybe someone like Doug would know of a good place to donate the toys.  Just a thought...

JIM

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Reply #16 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 3:59pm

Excellent idea Jim, the only thought with that is we'd have to limit the items a bit due to safety hazards and choking hazards.

OK, here's the first part of the challenge for everyone, find an organization that would appreciate hand made toys.  I would suggest an orphange or children's center of some kind, let's get together in a week or two with ideas and we can vote on which one to donate to.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 10:00pm

In Ponca City, Oklahoma is a place called the American Legion Childrens Home. They take in troubled kids with pretty much ANY military background in their family tree. (a requirement because of the government.)

anyway, i KNOW the kids there would love to have some of the toys that could be made on a lathe... namely tops. not the little finger tops, but the BIG, tough, throw your top, and i'll throw my top and we will see who's top wins!!! kinda tops!!! the kids there are usually 13 or 14 at the youngest, but the older kids enjoy the toys as much as the younger ones!!!

and maybe fancy wood bracelets for girls??? cause my teenage daughters have no interest in a wooden top, but when i showed them pics of the bracelets, you could see the light bulbs above their heads!!!

It is a pretty small campus... 150 kids when i was there about 15 years ago. i could make a couple of phone calls and get a bed count easy as pie!!!

anyway, just a few thoughts... just tryin to help out!!!

IP Logged

kidcolombia

Reply #18 - Oct 2nd, 2005 at 4:58am

Quite right Chris, and you could lay those specifications into the rules for the challenge.

JIM

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #19 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 2:26pm

Any more thoughts?

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 8:50pm

well, that place is all but shut down now... maybe someone else knows a good charity or something.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #21 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 5:44pm

How about Toys-For-Tots?  That way we don't have to worry about who it is for.  They will give the toys to the appropriate children.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

kidcolombia

Reply #22 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 6:22pm

Rev, explain a bit about Toys for Tots.  Who runs it and how does it operate.  Pardon my ignorance...

JIM

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 6:33pm

im not RevDoug, but i know a little about the toys for tots program...

It is run by the United States Marine Corps!!!

A very reputable organization, or actually, more like a pure toy drive...   they donate all the toys to American Homeless shelters, schools in poverty stricken neighborhoods, and the such.

ALL the money/toys they recieve get donated.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #24 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 6:38pm

I am not positive about the details.  If memory serves me properly it is run by the US marines, or at least they are a major sponser.  During December they collect toys from many different organizations, wrap them, and then give them to the children that the toy is most appropriate for.  Many motorcycle clubs will have November and December poker runs with new toys as the entry fee. 

If need be, I could do a google search and find out more information.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #25 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 7:03pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Isn't google amazing!

Sounds like a winner to me.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #26 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 8:14pm

Toys for Tots is actually run by the Marine Corp reserve and they usually only accept new toys not hand made ones, you would have to check with them on that.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #27 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 5:07am

I know I may be streching here a bit and going with someone completely unknown, but...what about giving them all to Rev for his next mississipi/La run?

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Re: Toys for Tots
Reply #28 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 5:37am

A friend of mine has been hosting a Toys for Tots christmas party for years at his house.  He would arrange for a Marine to come to the house to pick up the toys gathered, quite a nice little ceremony.

They do, however, only accept new, store-bought toys.  At least that's been my experience.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #29 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 1:10pm

If you guys would trust me with them, it would be my honor.  I figure that I could give them out to kids I run accross as I am working in the area and leave any that are left over for the church I am working out of to distrubute. 

I just had another thought.  Billy Graham's son, Franklin Graham, has an organization, Samaritan's Purse.  For Christmas, they have a program called Operation Christmas Child.  It is where folks fill a shoe box and turn them in for distribution around the world.  We could send all the toys to them in Boone, NC and let them distrubute the toys to children in 3rd world countries.  Again, if we need more information, I would be glad to gather what ever info I can for the group.   8)

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print