Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
when is the next... (Read 4,675 times)

junior
Ex Member

Re: when is the next...
Reply #30 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 3:44pm

I don't know what it was about my first wooden top, but after the first time i threw that thing, and it spun gracefully on it's tip, i was hooked.

growing up i had remote control cars, boats, bikes, and a plane. I had all kinds of toys. telescope, chemistry sets, oil based painting sets... all kinds of nice, expensive toys, but my favorite all time toy, then, and still today.....

A wooden top with a good piece of string!!!

In other words, i plan to attempt to participate in the next challenge, and i also don't care where the toys go... as long as they go to KIDS!!!!!!!

IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #31 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 5:29pm

Thanks Junior and Rev (and Philip) for the info. re:  Toys for Tots.  Seems like a good choice, but if they don't accept hand-made stuff...  Of course Rev is the logical choice in our group to take this on, Thankfully he seems willing.  I do like the option of Billy Graham's son if we are sure that the toys would get into the hands of needy kids in developing countries.  Yes there are children in need in the U.S. too (anticipating an observation), but those who have not lived (as opposed to "traveled") abroad have no idea what poverty, raw poverty really is.  And if I can get the approbation of the group, I might distribute the toys I make right here in southern Colombia.  After posting pictures of course...

JIM

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #32 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 6:17pm

I'm wondering if it might be a good idea for this challenge if we all just turned our pieces, posted and critiqued them, and then donated them ourselves to a local charity of our choice. It would save the expense of mailing them to a central location and I'm sure we all have kids in need right in our own towns.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #33 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 6:57pm

Curt makes a good point. If a second is required then here's mine.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2005 at 6:58pm by E. Bud Gillaspie »  

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #34 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 7:38pm

No objections from me regardless.  I was simply making a suggestion.  If we make toys, and if we go with this idea, I may still take mine to the gulf shore.   Roll Eyes  Anyway, what is it going to be Mr. Wright, Spinner, Chris.  (ain't being the head-cheese a hoot)   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 7:58pm

It is not my intention to cloud this issue, but if you are going to make toys for children, especially in this litigation crazy country, you may want to read up on the dimensional/finish/material toxicity rules (laws?) first. I think it is a great idea, but I would not sign any of them.

“The federal government has established a size for safe toys for kids under three. A small part should be at least the size of this standard — 1¼-inch diameter and 2¼ inch long. Any part smaller than this is a potential choking hazard.”

Here is some info, but not all of it >>Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2005 at 8:15pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #36 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 11:24pm

That thought had crossed my mind...seeing that I saw a foreign body tonight.  It seems very much ashame that a charitable idea could be derailed by a litiginous streak in society.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #37 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 2:14am

OK, so here is the next challange for those that wish to partake:

Make an old school style spinning top, string powered throwing top.  There are plenty of plans on line and parts can be found in the catalogs or you can make them on your own.  Size requirements (to be safe and consistent) are: minimum 2" diameter and 3" long.  Most of the ones I have seen are 3" or so at the widest point and up to 5" long.  There is no limit on the maximum size.  The finished product should spin per the standard designs - hold string, throw top, yank string, top spins, blah, blah, blah.

Part of the challenge will be design as well.  the style itself is pretty standard and easy to turn, so spend some extra time coloring, burning, texturing, etc. to make it look extra special. 

As mentioned above, this won't be a trade but will be a donation to a charity, a needy family or just to a kid you know that will enjoy such a gift and may not be getting much for the holidays.

This one is pretty easy, so the timeline is 21 days, so be ready to post the projects on Nov. 2 (that's a Wednesday).

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Boots

Reply #38 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 2:40pm

Hi guys, been busy and haven't been on line for a while. you guys are the best, reading this thread says it all.
Count me in on the challange, Ill sort some needy person here in the UK. perhaps you guys could post some pictures of some happy faces, thats the best reward ever.

I see some tops have a purpose made piece that the string feeds through and into a hole in the spinning top, you hold the said handle and pull the string, the top spins and fall out of its holder, this is a safer way of launching especially for a child. I tried one of the throw and pull jobs and it flew across the room and hit the giver of the present, I never threw it again.

Hi Junior,
Go ahead and make one, if you get stuck your at the right place to ask for advice, youll even get pictures if you ask.

Once again,    
Nice one guys

Boots  
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2005 at 2:40pm by Boots »  
Boots Boots  
IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 3:56pm

Hello Boots!!!

I have only been here a few weeks, but already i am hooked... and i still gotta wait a week and a half until i actually get a lathe... i see some late nights in this project...

i also see about 5,000 design ideas as far as "texturing"... oh boy!!! i am getting more and more excited...

IP Logged

Boots

Reply #40 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 2:19pm

Slow down junior, theres plenty of time. if your new to turning then you need to be patient to get results. its good to get excited but just take it carefully. A bit at a time and keep us all informed of your progress.

Boots

Boots Boots  
IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #41 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 6:43pm

Ive already made a top..............tryied to spin it .....got it to spin one time outa 25 throws......ask the 80 year old neighbor if he knew how to throw one. He said " I havent thrown one of those for 70 years , but heres how ya do it".................still dont know how to throw one!!!  But I can make um!!! heheh

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #42 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 6:59pm

I make spinning tops all the time.  It is one way that I use up scrap pieces of wood that I've cut and thrown in the scrap pile in the corner... lol.  However, I haven't made ones with the pull string.  I am particularly interested in the top design that starts wobbling at the end and then flips over to spin on it's handle.

I think this is a wonderful project and going towards a good cause.  I wish I could participate, but my anxiety gets the better of me.  I crack under pressure...  Undecided  Even a lillllll tinnyyy bit.  This is the reason I haven't participated in any of the past challenge and trades.  You all are a wonderful lot though and this is THE nicest forum that I've ever participated in.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #43 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 7:12pm

No pressure here!!!!! Give it a shot Negeltu!!! You  know these folks here will have nuthin but encourgement for you and all the others "nervous". Cant say Ive ever met a nicer bunch than these!!!
I agree...They are the best!!
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2005 at 7:17pm by Jeff Matter »  

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 7:37pm

yeah Negeltu!!! I have NEVER even used a lathe... only seen one in person like twice, never seen a wood turning hand tool. I saw a set at the tool store in a cardboard box...

I am gonna make a top!!! it might not come out very good, but i am gonna give it all i got!!!

and dont worry, im not gonna put all 5,000 ideas on one top... but i may attempt several, and give em all away!!!!

heck, giving tops away may very well become my new hobby!

i look at everything a little differently now... just yesterday, i was looking at some of my seasoned firewood, and noticed it has a grey center, and the outer layer of wood is black. then the bark goes back to grey. it is amazing!!! 

maybe i can make a top out of half and half!!! that might look neat!!!   oh man, the excitement is incredible!!! Saturday i am going to woodcraft or woodcrafter, or woodcrafters, or whatever it is called...

I think i will take $100 to start with... can i get a few decent hand tools, and maybe a couple of small blanks for tops for that much???

I would also like to say a few words about the niceness level of this forum...

OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!

I have been to lots of forums/message boards about my personal interests, and this one, by far, is the best, most informative, knowledgeable (sp), helpful, guiding, fun, weird, crazy, honest, caring, friendly, encouraging (again with the spelling) forum on the entire internet!!!

i am going to start a new thread on this subject... i have alot to say...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print