Sep 21st, 2005 at 6:49pm

project, and trade thingy??

IP Logged

roo_mac

Re: when is the next...
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 7:11am

sorry can't help you there
and spinner seems to be away somewhere

You must learn from the mistakes of others, you can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.&&
roo_mac  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 9:15am

Junior and others, Chris is making hay while the sun is shining.  There are 4 of us that can't seem to get our current projects finished (except for Bud).  Be patient with us.  I think we could have something for you to sink your teeth into soon.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 8:06pm

I have to be patient... i finally got my FIRST wood turning tool today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nope, it wasn't a lathe...

I bought one of the most important tools i could buy!!!!! a clear face shield!!!

not supposed to get a lathe for like three weeks still... (if the guy answers his email!!!)

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2005 at 6:18am

Good for you Jr. Glad to hear you're keeping safety first.  My face shield has protected me many a time from flying debris.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2005 at 7:48am

Just last week I purchased a protective helmet for use with my new chain saw.  It has a safty screen that flips up and down.  I'm thinking of using it when I'm roughing blanks to keep the chunks out of my face.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2005 at 5:16am

Ihave a helmet, but the faceshield gives some paralax, so I don't tend to use it, and now with the trend, it is a moot point, I guess.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2005 at 11:40am by Ned A from South GA »  

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Reply #7 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 11:00pm

with the question on the boards, what are some ideas for the next challenge?  Let's hear it, what do we want to do?  While we're at it, who's thinking they would join the challenge (consider it would have at least a 1 month timeline).

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #8 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 5:38am

I'd like to give it a whirl if the design limits put it in my ability range.  How about a 16" segmented vessel? (just kidding).  How about something "square turned," ie, any turning that has a square portion, or that has a square part in the middle, like maybe a box of some sort?

JIM

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 12:08pm

I would LOVE to be in, but i won't have a lathe for a couple of weeks still yet...

and once i get a lathe, i dont think anyone would want my first "project" attempt... lol...

i will more than likely sit this one out, and try to make it on my own!! just to see how it turns out..

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #10 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 1:54am

Yeah!!  a 16" lam project sounds good!!
   Count me in for whatever it may be

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #11 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 2:05am

Perhaps a turned toy

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Reply #12 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 9:43am

Hmmm...a turned toy, that has got me thinking...

Three Mutts Customs
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #13 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 10:32am

Oops, I did it again!

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #14 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 1:09pm

I'm ready for a challenge. Sign me up.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

kidcolombia

Reply #15 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 3:24pm

Don't back off Ned, that's a great idea!  Let's see if Chris takes it up, and if so, what limits he places on the project. 

Added detail.  Everybody knows that when you complete a successful turning, the next copy is easier, and the one after even more so.  Xmas is coming.  How about thinking in terms of making five of whatever toy one might decide to make, then instead of a trade, give them to needy children, or trade one and give the rest to the children.  Maybe someone like Doug would know of a good place to donate the toys.  Just a thought...

JIM

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Reply #16 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 3:59pm

Excellent idea Jim, the only thought with that is we'd have to limit the items a bit due to safety hazards and choking hazards.

OK, here's the first part of the challenge for everyone, find an organization that would appreciate hand made toys.  I would suggest an orphange or children's center of some kind, let's get together in a week or two with ideas and we can vote on which one to donate to.

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 10:00pm

In Ponca City, Oklahoma is a place called the American Legion Childrens Home. They take in troubled kids with pretty much ANY military background in their family tree. (a requirement because of the government.)

anyway, i KNOW the kids there would love to have some of the toys that could be made on a lathe... namely tops. not the little finger tops, but the BIG, tough, throw your top, and i'll throw my top and we will see who's top wins!!! kinda tops!!! the kids there are usually 13 or 14 at the youngest, but the older kids enjoy the toys as much as the younger ones!!!

and maybe fancy wood bracelets for girls??? cause my teenage daughters have no interest in a wooden top, but when i showed them pics of the bracelets, you could see the light bulbs above their heads!!!

It is a pretty small campus... 150 kids when i was there about 15 years ago. i could make a couple of phone calls and get a bed count easy as pie!!!

anyway, just a few thoughts... just tryin to help out!!!

IP Logged

kidcolombia

Reply #18 - Oct 2nd, 2005 at 4:58am

Quite right Chris, and you could lay those specifications into the rules for the challenge.

JIM

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #19 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 2:26pm

Any more thoughts?

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 8:50pm

well, that place is all but shut down now... maybe someone else knows a good charity or something.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #21 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 5:44pm

How about Toys-For-Tots?  That way we don't have to worry about who it is for.  They will give the toys to the appropriate children.   8)

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

kidcolombia

Reply #22 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 6:22pm

Rev, explain a bit about Toys for Tots.  Who runs it and how does it operate.  Pardon my ignorance...

JIM

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 6:33pm

im not RevDoug, but i know a little about the toys for tots program...

It is run by the United States Marine Corps!!!

A very reputable organization, or actually, more like a pure toy drive...   they donate all the toys to American Homeless shelters, schools in poverty stricken neighborhoods, and the such.

ALL the money/toys they recieve get donated.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #24 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 6:38pm

I am not positive about the details.  If memory serves me properly it is run by the US marines, or at least they are a major sponser.  During December they collect toys from many different organizations, wrap them, and then give them to the children that the toy is most appropriate for.  Many motorcycle clubs will have November and December poker runs with new toys as the entry fee. 

If need be, I could do a google search and find out more information.   8)

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #25 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 7:03pm

Isn't google amazing!

Sounds like a winner to me.

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #26 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 8:14pm

Toys for Tots is actually run by the Marine Corp reserve and they usually only accept new toys not hand made ones, you would have to check with them on that.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #27 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 5:07am

I know I may be streching here a bit and going with someone completely unknown, but...what about giving them all to Rev for his next mississipi/La run?

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Re: Toys for Tots
Reply #28 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 5:37am

A friend of mine has been hosting a Toys for Tots christmas party for years at his house.  He would arrange for a Marine to come to the house to pick up the toys gathered, quite a nice little ceremony.

They do, however, only accept new, store-bought toys.  At least that's been my experience.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #29 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 1:10pm

If you guys would trust me with them, it would be my honor.  I figure that I could give them out to kids I run accross as I am working in the area and leave any that are left over for the church I am working out of to distrubute. 

I just had another thought.  Billy Graham's son, Franklin Graham, has an organization, Samaritan's Purse.  For Christmas, they have a program called Operation Christmas Child.  It is where folks fill a shoe box and turn them in for distribution around the world.  We could send all the toys to them in Boone, NC and let them distrubute the toys to children in 3rd world countries.  Again, if we need more information, I would be glad to gather what ever info I can for the group.   8)

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 3:44pm

I don't know what it was about my first wooden top, but after the first time i threw that thing, and it spun gracefully on it's tip, i was hooked.

growing up i had remote control cars, boats, bikes, and a plane. I had all kinds of toys. telescope, chemistry sets, oil based painting sets... all kinds of nice, expensive toys, but my favorite all time toy, then, and still today.....

A wooden top with a good piece of string!!!

In other words, i plan to attempt to participate in the next challenge, and i also don't care where the toys go... as long as they go to KIDS!!!!!!!

IP Logged

kidcolombia

Reply #31 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 5:29pm

Thanks Junior and Rev (and Philip) for the info. re:  Toys for Tots.  Seems like a good choice, but if they don't accept hand-made stuff...  Of course Rev is the logical choice in our group to take this on, Thankfully he seems willing.  I do like the option of Billy Graham's son if we are sure that the toys would get into the hands of needy kids in developing countries.  Yes there are children in need in the U.S. too (anticipating an observation), but those who have not lived (as opposed to "traveled") abroad have no idea what poverty, raw poverty really is.  And if I can get the approbation of the group, I might distribute the toys I make right here in southern Colombia.  After posting pictures of course...

JIM

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #32 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 6:17pm

I'm wondering if it might be a good idea for this challenge if we all just turned our pieces, posted and critiqued them, and then donated them ourselves to a local charity of our choice. It would save the expense of mailing them to a central location and I'm sure we all have kids in need right in our own towns.

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #33 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 6:57pm

Curt makes a good point. If a second is required then here's mine.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2005 at 6:58pm by E. Bud Gillaspie »  

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #34 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 7:38pm

No objections from me regardless.  I was simply making a suggestion.  If we make toys, and if we go with this idea, I may still take mine to the gulf shore.   Roll Eyes  Anyway, what is it going to be Mr. Wright, Spinner, Chris.  (ain't being the head-cheese a hoot)   8)

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 7:58pm

It is not my intention to cloud this issue, but if you are going to make toys for children, especially in this litigation crazy country, you may want to read up on the dimensional/finish/material toxicity rules (laws?) first. I think it is a great idea, but I would not sign any of them.

“The federal government has established a size for safe toys for kids under three. A small part should be at least the size of this standard — 1¼-inch diameter and 2¼ inch long. Any part smaller than this is a potential choking hazard.”

Here is some info, but not all of it >>Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2005 at 8:15pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #36 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 11:24pm

That thought had crossed my mind...seeing that I saw a foreign body tonight.  It seems very much ashame that a charitable idea could be derailed by a litiginous streak in society.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Reply #37 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 2:14am

OK, so here is the next challange for those that wish to partake:

Make an old school style spinning top, string powered throwing top.  There are plenty of plans on line and parts can be found in the catalogs or you can make them on your own.  Size requirements (to be safe and consistent) are: minimum 2" diameter and 3" long.  Most of the ones I have seen are 3" or so at the widest point and up to 5" long.  There is no limit on the maximum size.  The finished product should spin per the standard designs - hold string, throw top, yank string, top spins, blah, blah, blah.

Part of the challenge will be design as well.  the style itself is pretty standard and easy to turn, so spend some extra time coloring, burning, texturing, etc. to make it look extra special. 

As mentioned above, this won't be a trade but will be a donation to a charity, a needy family or just to a kid you know that will enjoy such a gift and may not be getting much for the holidays.

This one is pretty easy, so the timeline is 21 days, so be ready to post the projects on Nov. 2 (that's a Wednesday).

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

Boots

Reply #38 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 2:40pm

Hi guys, been busy and haven't been on line for a while. you guys are the best, reading this thread says it all.
Count me in on the challange, Ill sort some needy person here in the UK. perhaps you guys could post some pictures of some happy faces, thats the best reward ever.

I see some tops have a purpose made piece that the string feeds through and into a hole in the spinning top, you hold the said handle and pull the string, the top spins and fall out of its holder, this is a safer way of launching especially for a child. I tried one of the throw and pull jobs and it flew across the room and hit the giver of the present, I never threw it again.

Hi Junior,
Go ahead and make one, if you get stuck your at the right place to ask for advice, youll even get pictures if you ask.

Once again,    
Nice one guys

Boots  
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2005 at 2:40pm by Boots »  
Boots Boots  
IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 3:56pm

Hello Boots!!!

I have only been here a few weeks, but already i am hooked... and i still gotta wait a week and a half until i actually get a lathe... i see some late nights in this project...

i also see about 5,000 design ideas as far as "texturing"... oh boy!!! i am getting more and more excited...

IP Logged

Boots

Reply #40 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 2:19pm

Slow down junior, theres plenty of time. if your new to turning then you need to be patient to get results. its good to get excited but just take it carefully. A bit at a time and keep us all informed of your progress.

Boots

Boots Boots  
IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #41 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 6:43pm

Ive already made a top..............tryied to spin it .....got it to spin one time outa 25 throws......ask the 80 year old neighbor if he knew how to throw one. He said " I havent thrown one of those for 70 years , but heres how ya do it".................still dont know how to throw one!!!  But I can make um!!! heheh

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #42 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 6:59pm

I make spinning tops all the time.  It is one way that I use up scrap pieces of wood that I've cut and thrown in the scrap pile in the corner... lol.  However, I haven't made ones with the pull string.  I am particularly interested in the top design that starts wobbling at the end and then flips over to spin on it's handle.

I think this is a wonderful project and going towards a good cause.  I wish I could participate, but my anxiety gets the better of me.  I crack under pressure...  Undecided  Even a lillllll tinnyyy bit.  This is the reason I haven't participated in any of the past challenge and trades.  You all are a wonderful lot though and this is THE nicest forum that I've ever participated in.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #43 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 7:12pm

No pressure here!!!!! Give it a shot Negeltu!!! You  know these folks here will have nuthin but encourgement for you and all the others "nervous". Cant say Ive ever met a nicer bunch than these!!!
I agree...They are the best!!
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2005 at 7:17pm by Jeff Matter »  

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 7:37pm

yeah Negeltu!!! I have NEVER even used a lathe... only seen one in person like twice, never seen a wood turning hand tool. I saw a set at the tool store in a cardboard box...

I am gonna make a top!!! it might not come out very good, but i am gonna give it all i got!!!

and dont worry, im not gonna put all 5,000 ideas on one top... but i may attempt several, and give em all away!!!!

heck, giving tops away may very well become my new hobby!

i look at everything a little differently now... just yesterday, i was looking at some of my seasoned firewood, and noticed it has a grey center, and the outer layer of wood is black. then the bark goes back to grey. it is amazing!!! 

maybe i can make a top out of half and half!!! that might look neat!!!   oh man, the excitement is incredible!!! Saturday i am going to woodcraft or woodcrafter, or woodcrafters, or whatever it is called...

I think i will take $100 to start with... can i get a few decent hand tools, and maybe a couple of small blanks for tops for that much???

I would also like to say a few words about the niceness level of this forum...

OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!

I have been to lots of forums/message boards about my personal interests, and this one, by far, is the best, most informative, knowledgeable (sp), helpful, guiding, fun, weird, crazy, honest, caring, friendly, encouraging (again with the spelling) forum on the entire internet!!!

i am going to start a new thread on this subject... i have alot to say...

IP Logged

Boots

Reply #45 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 1:49pm

Hi Junior,

When did you say your lathe turns up?

Boots

Boots Boots  
IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #46 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 6:33pm

hehehe  "Turns up"

IP Logged

Boots

Reply #47 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 12:09pm

Hi guys,

Thanks Sky, I didnt see that,  you made me laugh.

This is the sort of thing that make this site magic.

Boots

Boots Boots  
IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 4:04pm

i can go pick it up next weekend!!!i picked up some hand tools today... next weekend, if i have enough cash after getting the lathe, i will go get a grinder, and a wolverine jig... then i should be able to get started!!!

soon i will finally get to post in this forum more!!!!!

as opposed to the tool board!!!!!

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #49 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 3:47am

Silly question guys,
  What is the best kind of wood for these things. I would figure softer woods would get too banged up and figured woods would be over kill. Thoughts?

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #50 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 4:52am

I would think a softer, lighter wood. Without knots and figuring, as that would throw the top out of balance if one side was more dense. No matter what it is , it will get beat up. I laminated (stacked)a few pieces of walnut, bloodwood, and cypress together and turned one. Cant make it spin tho

IP Logged

Boots

Reply #51 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 2:27pm

Hi,
   Can somebody show us in detail the size of the string/cord and how and where it is attached to the top please

Boots
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2005 at 10:47pm by Boots »  
Boots Boots  
IP Logged

kidcolombia

Reply #52 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 2:58pm

Boots, I am no expert, but I can tell you the way it is done here.  Grasp the top in your left hand, or in your right, if you are left-handed, make a loop with one end of the string (maybe do that first), and hang it on the stem.  Lay it on the side of the top with the end crossed under the long part.  Put your thumb, the one on the hand with which you are gripping the top, over the string to hold it onto the top, and with the other hand, grasp the string that is hanging down, and making sure that it crosses over the end that is lying on the top, wind it rather tightly around the point and up the sides, say about half way.  Then, with the point upward (some do it with the point down), holding the remaining string, throw the top and pull back on the string.  It will release at some point, fall to the floor point down,  and, hopefully, spin.  Takes some practice though. 
No pictures for the moment.  Hope the explanation helps.  My wife, who was quite a top thrower in her youth, showed me the ropes (no pun intended).

JIM

IP Logged

Boots

Reply #53 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 10:53pm

Hi,
    Thanks Jim.    what size string please?  and presumably the point has a special shape, I will do some research on this point............... point ............youve got to laugh haven't you ayh.
But the guy in the vidio had it hanging on the end of the string? hows that done, it was always connected to the string, a loop that will not come of the point?

Boots

Boots Boots  
IP Logged

kidcolombia

Reply #54 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 5:44am

What size string?  Maybe string in the U.S. has sizes, like #2 or #3, but I don't remember, and here it doesn't.  A nice string like the one they call cord that is used for wrapping packages seems to work.  Cotton string.  Nylon seems to slippery.  As to the point, the commercial tops here have a squared off (not pointed) tip.  Take a nail, maybe a thinish concrete nail, grind off the point (and head), and there it is.  I have been using rivots because I like the finished look of the washer against the wood. 

Jim

JIM

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #55 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 5:53am

Quote:
Hi,
   Thanks Jim.    what size string please?  and presumably the point has a special shape, I will do some research on this point............... point ............youve got to laugh haven't you ayh.
But the guy in the vidio had it hanging on the end of the string? hows that done, it was always connected to the string, a loop that will not come of the point?

Boots

As far as string goes, you'll want something that doesn't have much 'stretch' to it, so a cord of some kind is best, and for its' length, about chest high works for me.
If it was me you were refering to (the guy in the video), that's a trick called the merry-go-round.  Watch it again and you'll see I throw the top directly to my hand, then make the loop as I drop the top off my hand.  Because of its' spinning nature and the shape of the top, I can balance the top as it hangs, spinning (but not for too long).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print