Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Burning lines (Read 1,849 times)

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Burning lines
Sep 22nd, 2005 at 3:26pm

Say I've got a burned in line on my bowl, or on a bracelet.  What I'd like to do is burn a matching line on the bottom of the bowl, or on the face of a matching pendant.  I've heard you can use a small wedge of really really hard wood (which I don't have), or a chip of formica (also don't have).  Anyone have any other suggestions?

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Jimmy Cusic

Just a bit,  a skew!!

Garland Tx, Texas, USA
Garland Tx
Texas
USA

Re: Burning lines
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 4:52pm

If it's on the bottom you might try some very stiff wire  (coat hanger). Bend the end so you have a blunt but smooth or rounded surface.  Guess you could get a soldering iron if your lathe turns slow enough and burn it with that...  Just some ideas...

jimmy c.

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 4:53pm

Rick, I use a piece of steel wire + friction to burn in a line on the outside of a bowl. To burn the edge of a plate, bowl, etc. I use the back side of crocus cloth. To burn a a circle on a flat surface I double over the steel wire as to form a smooth bend and crank the lathe up to 3,000 rpm. It is suggested that you hold said wire w/pliers.

There's always the "cheater burn." Sharpen your carpenter's pencil and hold it against the spinning wood.

Then there's the "hot pipe" method: heat up a metal pipe and "brand" the piece. This usually requires either a torch or a stove/fire to heat up the pipe.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 8:10pm

if you wanted a thin line, maybe the edge of a flat head screwdriver or something.

If you need a little bit of formica, call up your local floor covering stores. Alot of them also do countertops, and have tons of formica scraps that go to the trash!!

i can get man made marble, which is suprisingly soft!!!!!

whatever shape and size i want (if i pay) decent free scraps sometimes though!!!

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 8:19pm

Just go to Home Depot or Lowes they have formica samples ypu can use.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

ladyfox
WR Noob

Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 9:35am

HI guys
I like the look of burned lines but I prefer mine to be much thiner. I use guitar strings attached to a small piece of wood on each end. Using guitar strings allowes you to have one or many lines on your piece of work. You can also have the wires as long or as short as you want.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 11:21am

Rick,

As mentioned above, Lowe's, Home Depot, or for that matter any home improvement and/or building supply store should have the formica samples that you can use to burn on the bottoms of you pieces.

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 12:31pm

I do not know the diameter of guitar strings, but I use .020", .032", .040", and .050" stainless steel safety wire to friction burn the decorative lines. Like Lady Fox, I have the wires attached to small pieces of wood (dowels). Works fine, and no singed fingers.

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #8 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 12:41pm

Same here, same sizes infact. And yep, attached to wood handles.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #9 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 1:22pm

Yup, I've got the same set-up for burning the outside of bowls.  I'm trying to burn a circle on a flat surface, like a bowl bottom.  Haven't made it yet to the borg, but looks like a formica scrap should do it.  Thanks for the hints.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #10 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 10:51pm

Hey Rick, ebony works best but we don't all have ebony scraps lying around, so like mentioned above, hit the big box and get a formica sample from the cabinet design area.  You can also use a thin sheet of metal bent to create a bend.  An aluminum can will work.  Cut a strip and then make a bend in it so the ridge is what rubs, making a surface contact area.  To speed up the process, use a torch and heat the aluminum up just a tad and then friction rub in the groove for the line.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print