Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OFF THE CHARTS!!! (Read 1,853 times)

junior
Ex Member

OFF THE CHARTS!!!
Sep 24th, 2005 at 7:47pm

my excitement level is off the charts!!! I just got pictures of the lathe, and goodies i am buying!!!

I am gonna get a set of chisels and such very very soon. It is so hard to be patient, but i have ALOT of things to take care of before i get this bad boy!!! oh man, this is so much FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Re: OFF THE CHARTS!!!
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2005 at 5:22am

Relax, I love the enthusiasm, but don't go in to agressively. Take your time and enjoy it. I am fairly new to woodturning, and only get a couple of hours a month to do it right now, but can give some advise.

1) Get some cheap pine or such and practice. Make the spindle round, then practice coves, beads etc, then make it round again and so on until it is a tiny spindle and then start over. This way you will learn the proper presentation and the feel for turning without the pressure of having to worry about a final product.  Then a few catches will just be learning and not an actual problem or concern.

2) Either read a couple of books, or watch a couple of videos (which ever way works better for you). I have a stack of books by my bed and it is my night time reading and I always learn something.

3) If you are having problems, go back to the beginning..ie is the tool sharp (this is typically my problem...I get so involved, I neglect my tool) then the ABCs (Anchor to the tool rest, Bevel presentation, Cut)

Let us know any particular problems and the guys here are more than likely to overwhelm you with opinions. Cheesy

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Glenn
WR Addict

Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2005 at 5:37am

Ned has some good advice.  I am presently teaching my 7 year old daughter to turn.  Right now she is in the 'learning cuts' phase.  I bought some scrap lumber at Home Depot for her to practice on.  They had some 2 x 6 and 2 x 8 in short lengths (<5 ft).  I ripped these on the table saw to make them square.  She loves the smell of pine so she is happy as a clam.  For two bucks, I got a lot of wood for her to learn how turn.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2005 at 5:28am by Glenn »  

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2005 at 7:33pm

as usual, you guys ROCK with the advice!!! i never heard the  "ABC" thing. i think i might print that big on a piece of paper for the wall behind my lathe!!!

the spindle thingy is a great idea!!! that way it doesnt matter if you mess up or not. I have a wood burning stove for my primary source of heat in the winter, and i enjoy cutting my own fire wood, so getting wood for cheap should be easy enough! i also plan to go to my local public library one day this week and get a few books/videos... whatever they have!!!

If all goes well, once i get all set up, i should have at least 8 hours a week i can put into my turning, so hopefully it shouldnt take too long!!!

as soon as i get my lathe, i will start posting pics!!!

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 5:31am

Can't wait for the pics Jr. , but don't let your enthusiasm go overboard.  Just a couple o' pics of the lathe and your shop (and YOU) would be great.  The front page only holds so many pictures, and 10 or more pictures at once by any one person pushes other recent entries off, never to seen and appreciated by those members who only occasionaly visit the photo area.

That said, bring 'em on!  Grin

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 8:22am

Junior,
I do not know what your local Library is like, but ours will gladly locate and borrow books /videos, etc from other Libraries for us to use. Also, about half the time, they will just purchase the books/tapes/videos that they cannot not borrow. Ask them if you cannot find what you need.

OH, and try not to learn so fast that you end up with missing or damaged body parts.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2005 at 8:24am by N/A »  

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2005 at 6:03pm

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAY YEAY YEAY YEAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get to go pick up my lathe, and assorted goodies October 22/23!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW I AM EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 4:49pm

I missed it, what kind of lathe did you end up with?

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 6:33pm

ok, ok, ok... just a few little details!!!!!!!

without giving too many details (the deal is verbally final, but not complete, and i am getting hooked up, so i don't want anyone to buy it out from under me...)

Someone saw my ramblings here, and got ahold of me with an offer i couldn't refuse!!! They are upgrading, and i am a lucky dog!!!

I am getting a Jet 1236!!!!!!!   

AND

Nova chuck with 3 sets of jaws, wrench, allen wrenches, and wood worm
screw, plus the cole jaws

The jaws included are the 25mm, 50mm and Power Grip
jaws for the bigger pieces.

2 Best Woods Tools rests, 6" and 12".

Extra factory supplied belt.

Drive spur and tail center
Knock out bar for removing the drive spur.

2 pins for doing indexing work.

And a banjo extension

6" factory supplied face plate

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 6:57pm

That sounds good. You could turn lots of chessmen and tops with that lathe.

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #10 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 7:41pm

Sounds like you'll be set.

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 7:43pm

yeah man!!!!!!! and with all the fancy extras, i could surely get myself in trouble some how!!! lol... man, i can't wait... i feel like a little kid that just knows they are getting the "Super Atomic Powerbombing, missile shooting G.I. Joe tank" for christmas!!!!!!!!!!!

or maybe a poor kid waiting for the new top to replace the one that got blasted by the older kid down the street in it's very first (and last) battle...

either way, i feel like i need to breathe into a bag or something!!!

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 8:47pm

Here are some wood I.D. sites.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print