Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Food safeness
Sep 26th, 2005 at 12:42am

I got asked a question at the craft fair I had a hard time answering and instead of lying to the guy I told him I did not know and if he wanted to email me later I would research the answer and let him know.  Well in case he does here is the question. 

I finished a Catalpa bowl I turned with nothing but the beal buffing system compounds.  I sanded the bowl to 400 grit and used the tripoly and white diamond compounds and then the caranuba wax.  Is this bowl food safe and will the wax finish protect it if the bowl was used as a salad bowl.  My initial thought was, yes it should as long as it was not exposed to excess moisture and it was wiped out with a damp cloth and dried when done with it. 

FYI this is the bowl I sold Saturday that I bragged about.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Re: Food safeness
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 3:15am

Unless the underlying wood is unsafe, then it should be "safe."

The other issue is bowl protection. If it is left in water, etc it will be a problem for the bowl. On the flip side, the salad oils and food oils will eventually create another finish once the wax is washed away or worn off.

Also, I think the majority of finishes are food safe if they are allowed proper time to cure. However, if selling, I would stick to finishes that state they are food safe, or wax and oil finishes.

As Raffan like to say in all his books, the bowl will develop its own patina after used a few months.

Feel free to correct me if I am in error anywhere. Cheesy
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2005 at 3:16am by Ned A from South GA »  

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

steve haley

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 4:02am

The only thing ive noticed with the wax finishes if you get water on them is they get very water spotted.As for food safe not a problem.

Mechanic by day Woodturner by night

IP Logged

Lee Goehring

West Central Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
West Central Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 5:14am

Two authors I have found that may help either clarify the question or confuse you further are Steve Mickley and Michael Dresdner. Both have answered this and many similar questions numerous times in various on-line forums and published articles and books. They do not necessarily agree on all their answers to finishing questions. Russ Fairfield also has some good comments in his "Universal Truths of Woodworking" regarding finishes.

Personally, I consider all modern finishes we use to be REASONABLY safe from a food perspective if used according to the label instructions and allowed to cure properly. I also happen to believe that, NO MATTER WHAT material or substance you are talking about, someone, somewhere, at some time, will be found who is allergic or sensitive to it. So even the bare wood itself could possibly cause unintended problems for someone.

It's my understanding that waxes generally do not provide much protection to the wood from anything. They are mostly useful for cosmetic effects and not a durable, protective finish.

Glad to hear this show went better for you, Phillip.

A man's home may be his castle, but his woodshop is his sanctuary.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 6:38am

Lee is right, all finishes, when cured, meaning that there is no smell left, are food safe.  Some have tried to say that walnut oil is about the only "safe" finish.  However, those with nut alergies don't need to be any where near a piece finished with walnut oil.  Most agree that a piece designed to be used as a salad bowl are best finished either with wax, which will need to be replenished everytime the bowl is used, mineral oil, whch will also need to be replenished when the bowl is washed out, or a "no-finish" finish, where the entire bowl is sanded to at least 2000 and burnished several times so that the surface is closed and hard.  Russ Fairfield talks about this method extensively.  Try the link below. 

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 6:41pm

I mainly use mineral oil and beeswax for my items that are meant to be used.  The main reason I do this is that the mineral oil is the easiest for people to go buy and use themselves.  When a person uses the bowl that I've made they can just wash it and apply some mineral oil themselves.  No specialized finish for them to have to learn to apply.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #6 - Sep 27th, 2005 at 5:09pm

That's a very good idea Negeltu and very practical.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print