Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
When to epoxy (Read 1,414 times)

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

When to epoxy
Sep 29th, 2005 at 6:24pm

I need some advise.  I have a crotch piece of maple that I want to make a 14" bowl from.  It's been sitting in my garage, anchorsealed, for almost a year now, and has developed a mildly serious crack.  I hope you can see it in this picture:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's about 2 1/2" deep (out of 6") but I don't know if that depth runs the length of the crack:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I want to epoxy this crack, but when?  Should I rough out the profile, inside and out, then epoxy.  Or do it now, before I cut out the round from the piece.

What do you all think?

Sorry for the big pics, but it's the only way I could illustrate the problem.
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2005 at 6:26pm by Rick in Lincoln »  

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Re: When to epoxy
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 6:39pm

Rick, I would do it now, if I knew for sure that none of the Anchorseal got down into that crack (epoxy will not adhere to waxed wood). Tape or seal the crack on the end grain, and fill the crack, with a good 5:1 epoxy, just like it sits in the picture.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 9:13pm

My opinion would be to do it after it is roughed a bit.  The reason for this is in it's current form you may not be able to force the epoxy down completely into the crack and then all you have is a cap.  If you were to rough it out a bit, it would get you further down to the bottom of the crack and you stand a better chance of deeper penetration and adhesion.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 10:23pm

I would have to agree with Chris here.  I was thinking that even before I read Gil and Chris's comments. besides who know how much of the crack will really be left after all is said and done.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 6:21am

I'll buy into that thought.

IP Logged

Don McIvor

turned pro

Twisp, WA, Washington, USA
Twisp, WA
Washington
USA

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 8:16am

Rick-Here's the only variation I can think of on the advice you're getting. Epoxy now and later. Faced with that beautiful piece of wood, I'd be concerned that a few thousand revolutions around the chuck and a prying chisel might encourage further splitting. At the least you could end up with some undesirable flexing in the piece as you try to get a clean cut.

Don
IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 6:20pm

DMcIvor, I'd say that's some excellent advice.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 5:19am

Thanks for tips, guys.  The piece is done, and it came out pretty nice.  I'm waiting for the finish, just Danish oil, to cure, then I'll buff it up and take some pics.  There was some anchorseal that had gotten into the crack, so I waited till I had roughed it out a bit before applying the epoxy/sawdust mix.  

One tip I read (though not here) and I think helped, was to put the piece in the oven until it was pretty hot before I applied the epoxy.  That seemed to soften and help the epoxy wick deeper into the cracks.  

Oh, and welcome to the forum, DMcIvor
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2005 at 5:21am by Rick in Lincoln »  

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print