Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New American tool company?! (Read 1,006 times)

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

New American tool company?!
Oct 1st, 2005 at 9:24am

Hey everyone,
There is a rumor floating around about a new American company that is designing a "new line of woodturning tools". I'm not talking about some guy in his garage, but an actual company fully producing tools.  This is an exciting thought, as I for one would love to see us producing more tools in the United States. The only substantial American manufacturer I know is Jerry Glaser and we all know that Glaser tools are awesome. Something like this could start a movement of “Keep it in America”. I hope these rumors are true. Does anyone know anything more about it?  I'm going to do some digging myself & see what I turn up.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Re: New American tool company?!
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2005 at 9:53am

I've heard about that much, that a company is trying to get off the ground with a new line of turning tools.  I just hope that they can produce them at a decent price.  There are some pretty good tools out there at pretty good prices.  Competition should be good for all concerned.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2005 at 12:03pm

First I have heard of it, but I will check around some.

Maybe it is WalMart  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2005 at 1:55pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2005 at 2:12pm

Walmart??? Wink They're probably waiting for their shipment of "Made in USA" stickers to arrive from China.

I'm with you Chris. I'd be happy to see more Americans supporting and supplying Americans!

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Keith_Bundy

Ky. turner

Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2005 at 6:47pm

Hey Chris - What about our buddy Stu?

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2005 at 8:18pm

It is exciting, and yes Curt, I agree we all buy so many woodturning tools from companies outside the US (although I have had the opportunity to buy some Glaser tools in the past) it would be nice to spend that money on a company based in the US with good 'ole boys making them. 

Keith, that's an excellent question...wouldn't that be cool...?!  Stu definitely knows enough about turning tools.

Three Mutts Customs
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 2nd, 2005 at 7:35am

The thought on WC is that Glaser is in cahoots with someone else doing a remake and expansion of the line.  As long as the price remains competitive it will be great.  Don't know where the thought came from that just because its American  that it must be more expensive.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

tman
WR Noob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Oct 2nd, 2005 at 8:50am

Hey RevDoug... with that kind of mentality you might as well sharpen a screw driver from Harbor Freight and see if you can get quality turnings out of it... I for one would love to see the ultimate tool made in america. I am tired of supporting the Brits and the Chinese. I like what Chris said... Keep it in America. I will pay whatever it takes to have the ultimate. Quote:
Begin with an error of an inch and end by being a thousand miles off the mark.
Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #8 - Oct 2nd, 2005 at 10:01am

I got some more info, but to make sure it doesn't get lost at the bottom of this thread I posted it as a new message.  Here's the link: 

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

tman
WR Noob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Oct 2nd, 2005 at 12:15pm

Now that is what I am talking about! It is cool to see somebody taking it to the next level... I guess I will also have to start saving money and opening space on my wals for this next tool line... I can't wait.... besides we call all use more tools right?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print