Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
MY SHOP!!! (Read 1,859 times)

junior
Ex Member

MY SHOP!!!
Oct 1st, 2005 at 8:22pm

because i live on a lake, the rules for structures are pretty strict, as far as temporary, or permanent. i cannot actually "build" a shop, so i have to find something that will work as a shop... i think i will go with this to start with!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Re: MY SHOP!!!
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2005 at 8:24pm

but actually, upon further investigation, that one isnt tall enough. i dont wanna turn wood bent over!!

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2005 at 8:26pm

yeah... here we go

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

*amuses self with one person conversation, while going crazy waiting for a lathe.

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2005 at 8:57pm

Gonna be a tight fit, lad. My "shop" is 12' x 24' and it's tight. Good luck

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2005 at 9:09pm

Instead of something like this Junior, why don't you look into these so called portable buildings that are wood framed aluminum structures.  Look in the yellow pages under buildings, portable or portable buildings.  I had one that was 12x16 down in Georgia when I lived down there and it was really nice and had room for.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 4:48pm

Pay attention to the floor. I have wood flooring (came with my house) in my shop. Wish I had a slab under my shop.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 6:42pm

thats the deal... i cant really pour a slab. that's a Perm. structure. most of my turning, at least to start, will be from small logs.

And pretty much my only large wood tool will be my lathe. I think storing wood that is in the process will be my biggest challenge.

i am EXTREMELY interested in turning chessmen, and tops!!! i bought my first book already!!!!!!!

"Turned Chessmen"
"For collectors, players, and woodworkers"

Number 5 in Mike Darlow's woodturning series.

and of course tops... they are pretty self explanatory i think...

anyway, i will probably use my firewood for most of my turning... every now and then i might venture out and buy a nice bowl blank.

maybe i can get lucky and find a cool local wood that someone would trade some of their local wood for!!! yeah, that would be cool...

IP Logged

Bob Hampton

stress releif "let the
chips fly"

Reply #7 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 6:59am

Good day to all !
  Well guess im the new "kid" on the block this morning as I just joined .
  just thought I would stick in my 2 cents here on the topic so as to keep a mistake from accuring .....I see the sheds that u are looking at are metal from sears....have one in the yard ...and it sweats badly in the winter from condersation buildup inside...dry in the winter thou ....I have to run a fan in the winter otherwise anything in there is ruined.
   Here is a thought to investigate thou.....
According to building code in my area (oregon coast) I can build a wood structure up to 14x14 and is considered "portable" as long as its on "skids" . 

Anyway just a few thought I had
Bob

Bob
Bob Hampton  
IP Logged

Larry Charlot
WR Addict

Professional Sawdust Maker

Yakima, Washington, Washington, USA
Yakima, Washington
Washington
USA

Reply #8 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 7:33am

Metal shed will just add to the sound bouncing off the walls as well

Want a better life, TURN it into something better

IP Logged

jprosise

Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 7:53am

Not to mention, it will be hard to heat the metal shed..even in SW Oklahoma.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #10 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 1:20pm

And don't forget the solar heating in the summer!  When I was in scouts I used to carry a fold down metal box called a solar oven.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Bob Hampton

stress releif "let the
chips fly"

Reply #11 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 1:52pm

ohoh!
well I didnt mean to hijack jr's thread but thanks for the welcome guys!
  I live on the southern oregon coast about 100 miles north of the north calif border ....home is Coos Bay ore.
  Got into the turning thing quiet by accident and yup just sucked me right on in!! dang I hate when that happens!
  Im just a poor ol broke trk driver and do this mostly on the weekends ...helps to take out the fustrations of the road ...dealing with stupid dispachers and the like!...lol

Stumbled on the handle deal when my nephew (also a self taught turner) showed up with a new bowl gouge (took me about 6 months to convince him to get one and now cant put it down! lol) it was same size as mine...1/2"..but seemed much heavier and i really liked how it handled ...so thats how that all got started anyway..
  Im sure those of you who try this will see a big difference in the way it handles..I know I sure was impressed.
  Anyway i've rattled enough for now
  Bob

Bob
Bob Hampton  
IP Logged

Bob Hampton

stress releif "let the
chips fly"

Reply #12 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 1:57pm

oops!
sorry guys should have posted that reply in the handles thread!
well thats what i get for having an "almost Senior" moment
delete if you want.

Bob
Bob Hampton  
IP Logged

DMcIvor

considering turning pro

Reply #13 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 2:48pm

Since we're all piling on Junior today, I'll throw in my thoughts too.

I see a lot of those metal out buildings in my area, though it took me a while to recognize them at first. You usually find them in a crumpled heap in people's backyards. We do have regular high winds around here (read Mark Twain's Roughing It, in which he perfectly described the local Washoe Zephyr), although you may not be blessed with the same phenomenon.

I would encourage you to go with wood, even if those prefab sheds are also a bit flimsy. You could at least slap a few inches of insulation onto the walls and ceiling to buffer the temperature, and cut a window in the wall to let in some light and circulate air.

I would also disagree with Nappen's lament. I work in my garage and the cement floor (edited out) all the heat out of my feet and legs in the winter, and it is very hard on my back and legs--it will catch up with you eventually.

Without knowing your zoning limitations, I've got to think there is a better option than the Sears/Home Depot/Lowe's prefabs.

Don

Don
IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 11:26pm

You fellas will be happy to learn that i decided to build my own shop..

it is wood frame, with a wood floor. the walls are 1/2" fiberglass insulated trailer paneling. the ceiling is a semi translucent roofing material to let in TONS of natural light.

On a sunny day, it is like being outside almost!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print