Send Topic Print
What do you watch? (Read 1,609 times)

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

What do you watch?
Oct 5th, 2005 at 3:32pm

I was actually turning a little a couple of days ago...finish turning a walnut bowl that had been calling my name...and I noticed that when finish turning the inside of the bowl and especially with finishing cuts I tend to watch the opposite side of the bowl as opposed to the tool and tool side.

Is this normal and akin to watching the "ghost" when shaping the outside?  I just seem to have a better feel and look for what is going on watching the other side.

What do you guys do?

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Re: What do you watch?
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 3:49pm

Me too Smiley

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 5:04pm

Im still new to this stuff and may not always do whats right (LOL  learned the other day Im usin most of my tools wrong!!) But , once I get the feel of the curve, whether it be the inside or outside, I watch some other point rather than the tool. It may be the opposite side or the quarter. when the tool is full of shavings, it kinda hard to see just what yur cuttin. I have a white piece of plastic guarding my shelf (behind the lathe)from sawdust that acts as a nice contrasting background to see the shape of the item Im turning. I always look over the top of the piece to see and shape the final cut. That is ,of course after I get the "point" on the tool rest for a consistant radius to swing, where as I dont havta look at the tool to see its position or placemant.
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2005 at 5:05pm by Jeff Matter »  

IP Logged

Glenn
WR Addict

Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 5:10pm

You're doing it right Ned.  I have heard this from many turners much more experienced than myself.  Watching the tool really doesn't show you as much as watching the 'result'.  I always watcht he tool until I get the cut started and have confidence that the cut is going inthe right direction.  Then I look at the opposite side of the bowl.

IP Logged

badger

Woodbox 23

Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 5:57pm

That was the first piece of advice that I got when I started turning, and it is one of the best.

badger

--==--==--&&Woodbox 23 (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)&&A daily weblog on woodworking, and woodturning.
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 8:53pm

It's funny, but when I am doing the inside of a bowl, I am looking at the outside visualizing where the tool tip is relative to the outside.  So far I have been fairly close to what I estimate as the thickness, but I sure I am going to get one TOO thin like SkyJ showed earlier this week.  The natural edge bowls I have done have only been 1/8 or less in thickness.  All 3 of them.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

texascop47
WR Addict

What happened to that
web page?

Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 3:06am

Ned right on I also look at the ghost.

keep the bevel rubbing
eeg520  
IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 4:33am

When I do the inside finish cuts, I look at the opposite side of the bowl to see what the cut is doing.  That's after I get the cut initiated and have the flow going, much like Sky mentioned.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 2:04pm

Good to know I am not out there flappin' as they say. Grin

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 7:58pm

No flappin going on.  Just good turning.  Seeing the resulting cut is much more informative than seeing how big the pile of shavings is on your tool and hand.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #10 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 5:46pm

I do both what Ned mentions and what JimQ brought up.  During the majority of the cut on the inside I am watching the outside form to make sure I am following the curve and as I progress I will double check the tool action to make sure I am getting a smooth cut.  You can really feel the action of the tool, so you know blind or not if the cut is coming out smooth, so I tend to watch the outside more, simply because with my pieces normally being pretty thin, if I don't watch the curve there is a higher chance that I will go through the side and that's no fun!

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #11 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 6:19pm

What you are doing Ned is what most beginners can't do, ie, lay the tool to the wood and watch the result of the cut in relation to the rest of the piece.  Seems like one needs a lot of experience with tool technique to do that so that instead of watching the tool as to angle, bevel placement, etc., one feels those things and reacts automatically.  Isn't that more or less the way it is?  I think that I am just getting to that point.  You, Ned (and others) have obviously gotten there.  Leaves more concentration time for the whole matter of creation.  Technique gives way to art.

JIM

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print