Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Challenge #4 (Read 4,891 times)

junior
Ex Member

Re: Challenge #4
Reply #30 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 7:40pm

Rick... i was not trying to mock you...

I really do throw left handed, upside down... i am ambedextrious (sp). i write with my right hand, but catch and throw with my left. My younger brother is a pure south paw. he always threw his right side up left handed and it worked well for him...

it seemed every time i threw my top, it wanted to spin on it's top, so i turned it around in my hand, and WHAMMO... it spun like a champ!!! i didnt even notice how you were holding it in the video you posted...

that really was the coolest trick(s) i have ever seen with a top... i was always happy just getting it to spin longer than my brother!!!

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 7:52pm

those string winding instructions are different than how i learned to wind the string.

i simply use the knot as a catch to reverse the strings direction, and wind at the top, right next to the knot.

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #32 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 8:18am

I don't know how everyone is doing on the 'throw top' challenge, but it has turned out to be harder than I thought. If any of you purchased the top points from Craft Supplies don't follow their instructions for drilling the hole for the point. It says to drill a 1/4" hole but the points have a 3/16" shaft. I've turned a couple tops from some scrap wood so far and can't get one to spin very well yet. Not sure if it's the spinner or the turner, both of which are me. So I'm not sure which needs work.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #33 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 3:04pm

Hey Curt, as I mentioned to Boots in another post, throwing tops takes some practice, at least for me it does.  Our employee's son is quite the expert and he threw a couple of mine, and much to my surprise, they worked.  And as for the point, a nail, maybe even a small concrete nail, is plenty good enough.  Also, a dense wood (heavy) seems to be much better than a lighter one. 

And no, it is not as easy as it might seem. 

Jim

JIM

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #34 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 3:41pm

Ive got a few done.....I cant spin um either....unless I hold it on the floor and spin it by hand, and they spin. I assume with the right "thrower" they will work fine. Will there be a specific section at the gallery to post pics? Ive done a couple "Florida" theme tops.
  I used a peg from a cam lock for a tip (The cheap cabinet hardware) Its about  1/4" x 1 1/2". Glued it in with gorilla glue, then while turning it I filed the tip round. The first top I did was with an aluminum tip. Doesnt work well...concrete eats it up. The others are steel. Cant say they wont leave marks on a nice wood floor tho!!
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2005 at 3:46pm by Jeff Matter »  

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #35 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 4:45pm

Like Sky I've been able to spin mine if I don't throw them. The top points are really a waste of money. The nail idea sounds good and so does the nylon cam lock tip. I turned mine from some oak ballister cut offs so they're good solid wood. But another thing I'm learning fast is that a couple bad throws across the driveway and any fine finish work is history. My wife won't let me throw them in the house, she's never been much of a sport about those kind of things. Sometimes I think Chris dreams up these torturous challenges just to make me crazy Wink

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #36 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 5:35am

The tips you buy from Craft Supplies are 'no mar' tips, made from plastic.  Their main purpose was to save your indoor floors from dents and scratches made by the metal tips that preceeded them.  Only problem was, concrete just ate 'em up.

Throwing tops is like anything else, it takes some practice.  It helps if a thrower is around to show you.  An easy way, once you've gotten the string wrapped, is to hold the top, pointy end up, about 4-6" above the ground, and throw it straight out, horizontal to the ground.  If wound right, it should unwind, turn over, and spin. Don't jerk the string back a lot, just throw it and let it unwind.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #37 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 7:07pm

This still on everyone's radar?  Time's tickin' folks...

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #38 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 7:18pm

Yes sir!  Ready to take pictures this weekend.  Upload on Wednesday, right?  And this challenge is coincident with a new-born rage for throw tops among the kids here in Colombia.  Only today on the street somewhere in town I stood and watched three school children doing some pretty fancy stunts with their plastic tops.  Pretty impressive.  So giving some to needy children will be a natural here, these days. 

Jim

JIM

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #39 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 7:02am

I have a 'practice' top that I've been using to try to learn to throw one. Have gotten a spin only a couple times but when it does it spins well and long. But last night I was in the garage practicing, I leave my garage door up about a foot to let the cats go in and out. I threw the top and it went under the door and out into the dark. Still can't find where it went even in the daylight this morning. So if any of you see it spinning by, let me know.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #40 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 10:50am

darn, that was funny Curt.  I read your post and have been laughing for a few minutes straight.  Thanks, I needed that!

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #41 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 2:16pm

Got mine ready for pics.........cant make um spin..........but I know they will

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 3:49pm

i just finished building a "house" for my lathe to live in...8 by 10 shed should do nicely as long as  i keep it clean and organized!!! i am so happy... now i can sharpen my tools whenever i feel the need!!!tonight will probably be a nice late night of TURNING!!!!!!

now all i need is a radio out there!!!!! and maybe a chair eventually!!!

tonight i will cut, and rough my Bubinga for two tops!!

i should be ready in time for the upload!!

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 4:13pm

Curt, there is an alligator cruising around in front of our dock, and it is making a spinning sound sorta like your lost top. Plus, there is a string hanging out of its mouth, and he is a kinda out-west lookin' 'gator too.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #44 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 4:42pm

I thought it might have been what made the roadrunner in my back yard dizzy looking. Wink  Thought he was going to fall over.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print