Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tweak to website splash page ... (Read 1,539 times)

Jonathon

A collector - DEFINITELY
not a turner!

Tweak to website splash page ...
Oct 13th, 2005 at 1:33pm

With a little bit of spare time on a train journey the other day I decided to play with the front splash page and try another variant.

The revision also takes on board the comment about the piece not being big enough to see in a prior incarnation.

Something to polarise opinions I would suspect.

Jonathon

The Daniel Collection of fine turned wood&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Gil Jones
Ex Member

Re: Tweak to website splash page ...
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 5:22pm

Jonathon,
I liked it a lot better when it was difficult to see.
Gil

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 8:14pm

I understood the piece before, but now I can appreciate it.  Good work.  Wish you were on this side of the pond.  I could use your help on a couple of things.  (Actually I think a couple of others on this site have taken care of me.)   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Jonathon

A collector - DEFINITELY
not a turner!

Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 10:07pm

Oh well - you can't please all the people all the time, sorry Gil!

We are awaiting another similarly "controversial" piece *grin* as well as looking at something Stuart Mortimer has made but we are collaborating on ideas for a different way of displaying (at 5ft tall that gets to be important).

Jonathon

The Daniel Collection of fine turned wood&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 5:25am

Nice work, Jonathon, the piece really jumps out at you now.  And it is easier to appreciate when the details are more visible.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 6:49am

Jonathon,
It is possible that I do not have a cultured taste in art (I am a 'meat and potatoes' guy). While the piece on the front page probably took much talent and effort to create, it just does not excite me. I do appreciate your efforts!
Gil
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2005 at 6:49am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 7:59am

Very nice job of making the piece easier to see. It's no doubt an "interesting" piece of art. I'm probably a lot like Gil in that I prefer more conventional turnings. But I marvel at the ingenuity, skill, and talent that some artists muster up in their work.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Jonathon

A collector - DEFINITELY
not a turner!

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 11:10am

Gil - my earlier comment could have perhaps been a little more, um, tactful?

Only trying to say that it always interests me to see what polarises opinion.

The artist, Nick Agar, put a lot into the piece.  Apparently all the steel rods are welded together INTERNALLY - which is a nerve wracking process to hear Nick describe it.  Better known for his wall hangings, I have followed him for a while and hankered after something suitable.  He started up with a grant from the Princes Trust and has made pieces (correct me here Nick if I stray) for our royal family on a not infrequent basis.

A fun piece to have on the floor and amusing to play with the display idea in Photoshop.

Oh and if there is anything you need "straightening" out with just drop me an email - if I can help I'll give it a go.

Jonathon

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Gil Jones
Ex Member

Re: Tweak to website splash page ...,
Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 11:23am

Jonathon,
If I were you I would not worry over much about "tactful", sure as hell I do not. Stay with truthful, and there is much less to remember. I took your rebuttal as written, and it gave me a bit of a chuckle. Thanks my friend, I enjoyed the Collection.
If you try to please everyone all the time, you will drive yourself nuts, and still not succeed.
Gil
PS: I looked over Nick Agar's web site, and other than the porcupine like bowls (and one ‘front page’ item), I was very impressed! Serious talent and great imagination reside in that man.
Gil
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2005 at 11:32am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #9 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 5:59am

Jonathon,
  Overall, I like this version a lot better. Especially that it names the artist, so I don't have to search so hard to find out who created it. Sorry I had not known his works prior. I actually know very few artists by their work.
   On the otherside, I think I liked the peice better when there was more mystery to it. It is still a complex and amazing peice of work, but like people say, reality never meets imagination.
Ned

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Jonathon

A collector - DEFINITELY
not a turner!

Reply #10 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 12:18pm

Hmm - difficult to know where to pitch things.

Nick is a REALLY REALLY nice guy, very creative - although I do sometimes wonder at the workings of a mind that produces something so different!

It's one of those pieces you either love or hate - and I was astonished to get such a positive reaction from Shirley to it in fact she drove the purchase decision.

Now Stuart's exploding star piece is although something else entirely.  If only we can a) work out how to display it commensurately and b) agree a price.

Jonathon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print