WR Addict

Professional Sawdust Maker

Yakima, Washington, Washington, USA
Yakima, Washington
Washington
USA

Lathe Vibrations
Oct 15th, 2005 at 8:06am

Working on my first piece with my new Jet 1442 and thought I would have less vibration than I am having.

1.  Should I take off the little feet on the bottom
2.  How much sand to add on the lower bench that I added.
3.  I have a cement floor but would rather not bolt to the floor until I am sure it is in its permenant location.
4. I have checked and the lathe is level.
5. The piece was only about 10 pounds  11" round 2.75" deap and rough rounded, started turning about 500 then went to 800 during finishing.

Went from a midi with massive vibration at first to the Jet, am I just expecting to much change?

Larry

Want a better life, TURN it into something better

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Re: Lathe Vibrations
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 12:01pm

Does it vibrate without the chunk of wood installed, BUT with everything else in place?

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 12:13pm

Larry, I assume 2 things: 1. you are using a chuck to hold your blank, and 2. you do not have a cast iron lathe stand.  Following those assumptions I suspect that either you have the blank mounted in the chuck off center and/or you do not have enough added weight to steady the lathe.

I have about 300 lb of extra weight on mine. I still get vibration until the blank is round.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 4:10pm

Larry, like Bud said it is probably a combination of things.  Most any lathe (even my PM 3520) will vibrate some if the piece is out of round enough and the speed is too high.  I would definitely add as much sand as you can to the base, more weight never hurts to combat vibration.  Also, if you can, turn the speed down a bit to compensate for the rough roundness.  If you can't go any lower on the speed then you may try and cut the blank as round and as square (top/bottom) as you can.  Those little feet can contribute as well.  The work well for leveling a lathe, but the soft bottoms will translate vibration much easier causing the lathe to walk.  I took mine off the PM and it is much more stable.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Larry Charlot
WR Addict

Professional Sawdust Maker

Yakima, Washington, Washington, USA
Yakima, Washington
Washington
USA

Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 7:14pm

I do have cast iron legs, and was using a face plate.

I added 300 pounds of sand and the vibration was gone, rough turned a 3" deep 16" maple platter and the vibration was gone.  I will take off the little feet tomorrow for added stability.

Thanks for the advice

Larry

Want a better life, TURN it into something better

IP Logged

Bob
WR Noob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 4:29pm

I am a newcommer with a Delta 1440 and I have too much vibration,  I will try these posted suggestions, thanks......however when using the chuck, I seem never to get the piece perfectly round,  I can put it on my Jet mini and it does get round,  the Jet is so smooth and quiet by comparison...... any suggestions for upgrades  to my Delta ???? thanks Bob

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 6:36pm

Hey Bob, welcome to WR.  On your never round chucking problem, do your tenons go all the way to the bottom of the chuck teeth or is there a bit of room?  If they go all the way down, that may be the problem.  The base of a tenon is usually never round and if you seat it all the way to the bottom of your chuck plates it will cause the piece to sit slightly off.  Make the tenons 1/8" shy of the depth of the teeth and make a nice flat shoulder for the face of the teeth to butt up against.  If this doesn't work, try truing up the faces a bit.  You can do this by closing the chuck all of the way, turning the lathe up to about 1200 rpms and then use very thin cuts with a bedan or even a spindle gouge. Both will dull very fast, but should get the job done.  I have had to do this in the past.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #7 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 4:50am

Bob,
  I started with the 1440 and had the same problem. It turned out that there was a problem with the pulleys and I had to have the whole thing replaced. If you open it up and look at the upper belt pulleys. Mine had a bunch of wobble that made the spindle run eccentrically. I called delta and they sent me the replacement parts. Took a while, and I ended up getting it fixed at a local authorized dealer for free and when I sold it, gave the extra pulley set to him as well, just in case it recurred.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print