Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Pinnacle HSS tools (Read 2,439 times)

junior
Ex Member

Pinnacle HSS tools
Oct 15th, 2005 at 12:17pm

are they any good? the guy at woodcraft suggested i start with them, and later start buying sorby tools...

And how about Bubinga wood? looks really neat!! should make a cool top (i hope)

man, woodcraft is a cool place!!!!!!! i see quite a bit of my money going there for a while!!!

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Re: Pinnacle HSS tools
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 4:07pm

From what I have seen Pinnacle is mid-range on both price and quality.  Like any other, how they will cut will depend on how they are sharpened.  They should be very good for learning turning and sharpening.  You wouldn't want to screw up a $85 tool on the grinder before you have learned to sharpen.  I have only recently started picking up some of the Crown HSS. 

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 5:26pm

I started on and still use the Harbor Freight HSS 8 piece set.  All for $35.  Does a great job for me.  The only other tool I bought was a $60 bowl gouge at WoodCraft here in Portland.  

Here's a link but probably cheaper in the actual store near you...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I had no guilt when learning to freehand sharpen on these.  Wink
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2005 at 5:28pm by Negeltu »  
Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 7:31pm

I have seen these tools at Woodcraft and I think they are more than adequate especially for a beginner.  I have contemplated getting one or two myself, especially a spindle gouge since I don't have one anymore.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 7:56pm

Gee,  why not? Wink

JimQ

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 8:20pm

I know this is a stretch, but a little golf story might make my point. A few years ago I went with a friend to look at a new set of golf clubs for him. He was looking at Ping clubs. The guy in the golf shop asked him what his handicap was and he said around 18. The guy then told him he was wasting his time (and money) looking at Ping clubs and steered him to a less expensive set. The point is that until you become an expert turner you'll probably never be able to tell the difference between a $40 gouge and a $140 gouge. Your money would be much better spent on a class on tool sharpening at woodcraft, some inexpensive wood (or even some free stuff from the local dump or neighbors firewood pile) and a good push broom to clean up the shavings. Save that pricey piece of bubinga until you have a feel for what a nasty catch can do to an expensive piece of wood. You'll want to just mount a log between centers and make shavings for a while just to learn the feel of the tools, the position of the tool rest, and to get used to the sensation of having a 5 pound chunk of wood spinning at 1000 rpms just inches from your face. You mentioned that you were going to attend a woodturning club meeting and that's an excellent idea.  But what will teach you the most will be standing in front of your new lathe, learning from mistakes, experimenting with the sharpening process on your new grinder, and just making shavings.
By the way, I think the pinnacle tool set is a great starter set to begin with and probably will serve you for years to come. Sorby is a great name in tools but I only buy them if they're on sale for the same price as the less expensive brands because I just can't tell the difference.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 10:38pm

man, you guys are off the chain!!!

thanks for the knowledge... i actually plan to start with my own fire wood pile before i touch the African Rosewood. (look at junior learning!!! Bubinga is commonly referred to as African Rosewood)

i know i have tons and tons to learn, but i learned the most important thing today i think... how to put the tool to the wood.

and by watching that guy turn a bowl today, with like three levels on the outside, and two neat little ring things. i think i can do this!!!  no, i KNOW i can do this!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 11:02pm

Jim
  My last spindle gouge got converted to some shear scraper that was posted here a long time ago.   The gouge was turned flutes down and given a scraper grind.  It was supposed to make it easier to get a smoother surface without resorting to massive sanding or a skew chisel, and since it was a cheapie Sears tool with a very short blade it is too short to reconvert.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 4:19pm

I think that Curt is right on target with everything he says, including just making some shavings to get the feel of those new tools.  I would only add that, as soon as you possibly can, take a several session turning class at Woodcraft or some other place that offers a good teacher.  Self teaching or with good books is fine, but there is nothing like a good teacher to help you with the basics.  With the basics under your belt, Raffen, Lacey and other authors of good woodturning books will mean much more to you, ie, you will be able to actually identify with what they write, instruct, etc.

And Pinnacle tools are just fine.  Just stay away from carbon steel, most tools made in India, etc.  Viva HSS!

JIM

IP Logged

Larry Charlot
WR Addict

Professional Sawdust Maker

Yakima, Washington, Washington, USA
Yakima, Washington
Washington
USA

Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 7:26pm

I have two scrapers and a finger bowl gouge from pinnacle, also a full set of sorby.  I have been very happy with the pinnacle, great product for the price.

Larry

Want a better life, TURN it into something better

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #10 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 12:55pm

I just received an e-ad from Woodcraft: They have the pinnacle turning set priced @ $159.99=$50.00 off.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #11 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 3:14pm

Lol  me and negeltu are the tight ones here!! I use the HF hss tools....granted all of them have been reseated in the handles (due to nice catches) but once you learn how to sharpen them, they do fine. If I ever used a $100 tool, Ide probably hafta buy it!
  Then later if ya wanna upgrade to sorby or whatnot, ya got a nice cheap set you can grind up and try diffrent things with

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #12 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 4:46pm

Quote:
Lol  me and negeltu are the tight ones here!! I use the HF hss tools....granted all of them have been reseated in the handles (due to nice catches) but once you learn how to sharpen them, they do fine. If I ever used a $100 tool, Ide probably hafta buy it!
 Then later if ya wanna upgrade to sorby or whatnot, ya got a nice cheap set you can grind up and try diffrent things with

lol...  Yeah, I couldn't imagine purchasing a $100+ toolset.  In my dreams as they say...

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #13 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 4:55pm

Nor can I justify a Pinnacle set. I use HF tools and a HF lathe. Wink

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Jimmy Cusic

Just a bit,  a skew!!

Garland Tx, Texas, USA
Garland Tx
Texas
USA

Reply #14 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 5:35pm

Here's my 2 cents worth. I am a newbe novice and can speak with some authority.. (at least what my wife allow me Roll Eyes  ). 
Cfuller has wise words, read them closely and follow his guidance young "chipwalker"....
I started with a harbor freight set and a Hamilton 3/8 bowl gouge. This set will provid a good base to start from. These serve me well as I continue in my "tool" learning phase. You WILL screw up the bevel on the tools and have to have someone help you get it right.  Better a $40 bowl gouge than a $80 gouge. The $30 HF set you don't feel so bad messing one of these up, or even modifying one to make you own custom tool. Once you have a good understanding of the bevels and how each tool is used you can branch out to what ever tool you like.  I have several P&N tools. I like these because there is no handle to get in the way while on the grinder.  Much easier to sharpen. I see no need for Crown or any of the others, my 5/8" P&N and 3/8 bowl gouge do the job. When you branch out into boxes a thin parting tool will be next on the list.  A old kitchen knife with a hollow grind will work just as well. This may sound dumb but get a 3/8 lag bolt and practice putting a fingernail grind on it.  It will give you a feel for how to do a bowl gouge.  Like I said  just my 2 cents worth...

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 9:15pm

what about the wolverine jig? isn't that supposed to guarantee a good angle??

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #16 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 9:19pm

The wolverine system is a good system but like anything else it needs to be used properly.  Before you buy one (if you haven't yet) see if the people who are selling it to you will show you how to set it up and how to make the various grinds.  You mentioned your nearest club at one point, which club are you referring to?

WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #17 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 9:34pm

Once set-up, the wolverine with a vari-grind will do one thing very well, give you consistancy.  With the jig you will grind your tools the same every time.  You will still have to watch the sides and not get them too flat or too round, but you will have a consistant front angle and side angle. 

BTW, I wouldn't try to sharpen my bowl gouges any other way.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 9:37pm

The club in Oklahoma City. i think theres only one... anyway, i will make a meeting asap!!!

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #19 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 10:10pm

Junior,
If you are on a high speed internet connection, go to the OneWay site and then the page for the Wolverine Jig (below) and down load the Wolverine instructional videos.  Watch them carefully.  If you are on a dial up connection, call them and ask for the DVD to be sent to you, it is free. Cheesy

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

JimQ

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #20 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 4:59pm

Or here's a good place to see what the tool should look like once sharpened. It doesn't necessarily tell you how but gives you an idea if you're in the ballpark.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 6:03pm

man, that was a pretty big concern for me!!! thanks for the help guys!!!!!!!!!

maybe they will have a copy of the cd at the woodcraft when i pick up my jig and grinder!!

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #22 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 7:26pm

The DVD is a order item.  It comes with the catalog.  Go to the website and you can order it direct.  Seeing is believing.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #23 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 7:40pm

WoodCraft does NOT get the video.  I had to order it after I got my jigs. 

Also pay very close attention to the directions for mounting everything.  If you are not square and centered, you can screw up the edge.

JimQ

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #24 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 5:42am

Another reason to hit the woodturners meeting, is that they will often have a library of tapes/dvd available for members to use.  I know our club got a grant from the AAW to build our library from 0 to 20 tapes when we first became a member club.  But as has been said, there's nothing like hand's on.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print